Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

e250???

Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing a '95 e250 with a v6 4.9L. Its from a used dealer. The engine and tranny both run great with 74k mi. My Q is the 4.9. It will pull my 5x10 trailer with a 325gal water tank and a cold water pwer...But There is also an '03 with a 5.4L and 128k mi the price dif is about 3k or so. need some input. Thanks

Dane

If it was me I'd get the '03 with the 5.4L in it. Considering it's only a $3,000 price difference. If memory serves me correctly I though the 4.9L was a Inline 6 and not a V6. I know they used to put a 4.2L V6 in the vans. Just make sure it's set up for towing is all. When I had my '05 E-150 it was set up for towing and made a big difference.

You might want to look around though at Commercial Truck Traders. There are a ton of used cargo vans out there for cheap $$$. I'd try and go with the E-350 if you can find one at a decent price preferably with the 6.0L Diesel in it.

Vince Wood

Diamond Bar, Ca

562-331-0301

I pull my 7x12 tandem axle trailer with my equipment with my astrovan 4.3L V6 - and sometimes I don't even notice I am pulling something. I'd think 4.9 is plenty. Why spend 3 grand if you don't absolutely have to?

My thinking exactly. The thing is I really can't spend more right now. I was looking at an Astro at one point.

Astro's EAT transmissions. the 700R4 is famous for breaking the reverse collector off and sending it into the OD gear and reverse leaving you with 2nd and 3rd gear only. Towing only makes it happen quicker.

May sound like a dumb question but is it disel or gas? If gas go with a V8. I just bought a Dodge ram about 6 mo. ago with a v6 in it and and it F-ing sucks!! I get about 8-10mpg when i had my V8 i was getting 12 but i had the power to go up hill or pass people on the highway.then when my trailer is full of water(6.5x12 tandem ax.with 545gal.total) it was a nightmare getting on the hwy. sorry guys went off on a rant. but dont buy a truck with a V6

Hey guys,

I am looking at purchasing a '95 e250 with a v6 4.9L. Its from a used dealer. The engine and tranny both run great with 74k mi. My Q is the 4.9. It will pull my 5x10 trailer with a 325gal water tank and a cold water pwer...But There is also an '03 with a 5.4L and 128k mi the price dif is about 3k or so. need some input. Thanks

Dane

I own a e250 with the 5.4 engine and have had no problems pulling anything with it empty or full....The v6 is small if you carry water at all.....

Depending on how hilly your area is and how much passing power ya like to have I'd say the smaller engine be ok with that setup upto say 1200-1500 payload on the trailer. Keep the tank half full or so and it probably be fine in any case...just going off my current 4.7L truck pulling load regularly up the Sierra.

I had a similiar truck. Black 95 Ford inline 6. Mine was a standard. Let me tell ya, those are great motors. Very powerful and bulletproof. You cant go wrong with that motor.

My area is very flat. And where I have been traveling is pretty much flat. I've been traveling with the tank less than a 1/4 full. LOL let me tell you what I have been towing it with...A Ranger 3.0! I pulled it down I-40 at 70mph for about 200mi. It did just fine.

Well then Dane if yer on the flats all the time and 3.0 did fine then there ya go..4.9 will be world of difference. I remember back when I used minivans the difference between just the 3.0 caravan and the 3.3 was pretty huge. My Xterra has a 6 in it and I plan to stick a hitch on it at some point here for backup use. One thing helping you out is you don't have the full size hotwater unit to haul. They can add about 700lb compared to a cold washer.

ps- far as van compared to truck or trailer...Depends on many things like lifestyle or vehicle is to be dedicated soley to work or not. No way am I ever putting a hot water machine in a van unless it is purely a cargo van that is all crapped up. Deisel or gas stinks running in vehicles and if there ever a fire the vehicle is done for. Trailer can limit where ya can park. Sometimes in downtown situations parking can be a challenge but I don't do much of that so... I find still having my truck bed available for large item moving or personal use so I never plan to load it full of equipment all the time. I also use my truck to transport the whole family so can't see having anything else unless it was dedicated for work only. Open trailer or flatbed can be a security issue and everything gets wet. Much to consider in vehicle choice. A dedicated box van would be my choice.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Thanks thats good insight. Even if I got a van I would still have my stuff on a trailer. But I could put stuff like tools, wands, surface cleaner...inside the van.

Here is my new trailer by the way.

5.2 gpm 4000psi legacy pump

with 13hp I get about 2800psi

325gal tank

up to 350ft of hose. I have 200ft on it now.

I really like it.

post-3235-137772228267_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4000psi

In the front of the trailer you'll see some metal straps. the gas cans are there now. those are for 30gal drums of chem. There are two of them.

I think the 4.9L would be just fine. The thing is $$. They're where asking $6900. Yeah right! I offered $3500. They said no $5500. So I think I will offer 4500. It is in really good condition mechanicaly for its age with 74k mi. I'll keep you posted.

I know a guy that got a beautiful box truck for $3,330. Was only like 4 yrs old low mileage, 3500. The smallest box truck they have out there, but still. He told me he is really good to people but dealerships - he really treats them like crap. He goes in makes a really really low offer, they balk, he walks - comes in a month later and tells 'em that he noticed they still haven't moved it, and offers an even lower price. I'd do the same - just walk, wait a couple of weeks - keep driving them down! Cars are like computers a perfectly good never used 486 sitting in a backroom of some computer shop is only good for boat anchoring. These guys gotta move the stuff constantly - even if they don't make a profit - only to recoup some of the money, before the cars are totally worthless.

I think the 4.9L would be just fine. The thing is $$. They're where asking $6900. Yeah right! I offered $3500. They said no $5500. So I think I will offer 4500. It is in really good condition mechanicaly for its age with 74k mi. I'll keep you posted.

Don't up your offer!!!!!!! Wait 3 weeks and offer $3,200 - deal from a position of power! The longer that thing sits in the lot - the more of a liability it is for them. The longer they wait before selling it to you - the more you drop your offer! That is what scares them into making a deal!