Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

Footwear

I am always troubled by what to wear when it gets hot. In decent weather or rain I wear rubber boots. In the heat I just cannot wear leather boots, my feet will explode. I usually wear old tennis shoes and put on a new pair after each job. As you all know, wet feet suck! I saw in a camping catalogue a type of hiking/watershoe for $25 bucks, I might try it. What does everyone else wear?

I wear sandals and keep my toes away from the surface cleaner and spray. I can rinse my feet easily if I get any chemicals on them (which I very rarely do). If a stick or rock gets in a shoe it can be a pain....literally. Sandals don't have this problem. Some people caution about climbing on ladders with sandals, but I have never had a problem. If this doesn't work for you, you can usually pick up water shoes at Walmart for less than $10.

I wear leather boots that are treated with mink oil. They are not to bad, and my feet stay dry.

Ryan, I understand that you take care, but all it takes is once and you could be sitting on the couch for a long time. I have seen people wear sandals, and never could understand what they were thinking. It is just not worth the risk of of of what could happen. If you have employees, or plan to they will probably want to wear them as well, and they might not be as careful as you are. Let them get disgruntled for a day and use that for a payback on you.

Quoting Paul B. "Safety first and Make it last"

I wear Redwing work boots that are water proof. They are a bit pricey at $230 but they are worth it because for one they keep my feet dry which is numro umportant so I don't get a foot fungus. They also have a great bottom to them where Small rocks don't get stuck in the grooves and they are also great for walking on roofs.

They are just a great all around boot. http://www.redwingshoes.com/

My first time out, I came home, took off my redwings and noticed the eigth inch deep gouge in the toe leather where I passed the wand across it, Didnt even notice it. Cant imagine what my toe would look like if I had sandals on.

I wear rubber boots too. Sure it's not comfortable in the heat, but safety is the single most important thing.

I absolutely would not recommend wearing sandals while operating a power washer!

Take extra socks with you in a ziplock bag. Have ice in your cooler and put the bag of socks in there. Just befor each job you do replace your socks with a fresh pair and its instant cool relief!:angel:

Just kidding. I think you just have to put up with hot feet and maybe use the sandal idea in between jobs while you drive to the next one.

Here we just run around barefoot so we can get that even tan. Don't like the sock tan line. LOL Okay just joking I know someone out there is thinking hmmm I'll try that. Don't think about it.

Yes I also wear my leather boots. Sealed them with many of concrete sealers by accident so they stay dry, but yes very hot. Wear my rubber boots on jobs where I need them because of certain chemicals. Have a bad habit of rinsing my boots with the wand sometimes to get dirt off them so couldn't imagine if I didn't have good footwear.

I wear rubber boots all the time. We've been getting close to 90 recently but it hasn't had an effect on the comfort level yet- I'm sure 115 will be a different story!

The only problem I had with the rubber boots was the "break-in" period. They were really really tight on the outside of the big toes. The first night I wore them at a job I had to run across the street to a gas station and buy bandaids to put on the blisters! Luckily they did break in and are very comfortable now.

I think they were about $15.00 at Walmart.

JK

So if you had to run out and buy band-aids, it means you don't have a first aid kit on board. You should remedy that right away.

Regarding the extra socks......that is a good idea, of course not keeping them in the cooler, but extra socks that are dry and not sweat soaked will feel more comfortable on the next job.

I also bring extra pants and shirt in case I need them. The last thing you want is to have an accident, spray stripper on your pants, and not have anything to change in to.

I could be wrong but If I recall correctly OSHA may have a footwear requirement. That may be just for working on roofs but I know they would have a fit if you wore sandals while power washing or going on ladders.

Personally, I wear rubber boots to keep my feet dry. I used to use tennis shoes but having wet feet all day just stinks..lol

I wear rubber boots as well. actually, I wear tennis shoes to the job and while I'm setting up, and then change into my boots when its time to get to it. The Redwing leather boots sound like a good idea, but my concern would be that the lower part of my pant leg would be black with mud after some jobs where as my current rubber boots cover most of my lower leg.

I wear Gore tex boots. The current preferred boot is made by Nike. Really comfortable, and my feet stay dry, unless water drips down from my pants into the top of them. The last bunch I bought, (I buy four pairs at a time, on sale) cost me $54 a piece at Penneys. You do have to look for them, and buy them when you see them.

I can't wear rubber boots, because I can't get them up around my calves. I got popeye calves. This is even inside of my pants, or on the rare occasion when I wear shorts.

Scott

I wear rubber boots that are easy to slip on and off when I am done at the site. In between, I wear sandals so that my feet and socks can air out and dry while enroute.

I change with the pvc as well. Suit up with pvc and rubber boots then strip down to company t'shirt and shorts. For some, it may be a hassle to go through this 3-5 times a day, but I would rather do that than suffer swampfoot again. (where your feet get all pruney and stay that way for so long that it actually becomes painful to walk on them)

Tennis shoes...been there done that, got the ever popular stained till they are no longer flexible enough to wear. You all have heard of getting your shoes bronzed...well...same thing but with stain instead! :)

Rod~

I wear a pair of old, comfortable, brown leather slip on shoes ($20-$30 @ a discount shoe store if you buy new) and a pair of over-shoe rubber boots when I am washing. I find that, even with the bronzing effect on the shoes they don't look to terrible and they breathe well inside the boot.

As far as the "bronzing" effect of sealer, I find that is a great waterproofer for my old shoes. Permeable, rich color... what more could you want? :)

Duane

I get a camping magazine in the mail(backpacking) and they did a prouct review on the latest high tech trail shoes. These things look sweet, waterproof, breathable, lightweight, and only $90-$150 lol!! I could'nt bear to bronze them.

Hey John what type of redwing boots do you wear that are safe for roof washing also? Thanks Hugh (copgib@earthlink.net)