Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Airless Sprayer Tip

Question

For those of you who use and airless sprayer to apply stain, what size tip to you like to use? I have a 413 and 415 tip but am wondering if a larger orafice will allow me to put down more stain with a little less "misting". I'm using Ready Seal and Bakers for stains.

9 answers to this question

I dont think to many people use an airless with ready seal. It is so thin, bakers is a little thicker. I think you will get misting with a larger orifice also, because you will need to up the pressure some to get it to spray evenly.try a 215 or 315 on the spindles. frank

Pete,

When we were first starting out, our go to stain was Wolman's F&P, which was a bit heavier bodied than Ready Seal. Used an airless to apply with a 217 tip on vertical wood. For floors, used a 315 tip reversed and back brushed.

Once ACR started carrying Ready Seal, never looked back. Purchased a Pump Tec HLVP unit to apply the stain. The only time the airless is used is for the few solid oil jobs we do.

Floors can be stained using Ready Seal with a large truck wash brush as shown in the picture. Goes fast.

Rick,

I agree with what you've said. Used the airless, turned way down, on my last job (post pics next week). I bought it to do some latex paint type of solid stains and thought I would try it on this job with Ready Seal. This job was about 500 linear feet of fence, a large playset, and a good size deck with a pergola style roof, used the airless on all of it. I liked using it but the misting was more than I'd like. I'll more than likely go back to the shurflo type of setup and use the airless for heavier stuff. I haven't used the truck brush yet but I'm sure I will. So far decks have been done with a sure flow and back padding.

Interesting size tip, Rick, that 217, I've never seen that size orifice with that fan width. Anyway, you'll always get misting with an airless, but still, a lot of time I just seem to get too much, period, with a high volume unit. I opt for the 211 or 213 on the spindles, and a 413 on the deck, too. Controlling how much comes out is still the more important thing for me, I think. Also, keeping the tip only an inch or two from the surface helps, too.

Interesting size tip, Rick, that 217, I've never seen that size orifice with that fan width. Anyway, you'll always get misting with an airless, but still, a lot of time I just seem to get too much, period, with a high volume unit. I opt for the 211 or 213 on the spindles, and a 413 on the deck, too. Controlling how much comes out is still the more important thing for me, I think. Also, keeping the tip only an inch or two from the surface helps, too.

I agree. It's hard to get a quality job and manage the product you are applying if you have too much to work with, running off faster than you can work with it. Just leads to sloppy results, and wasted product.

Beth

For those of you who use and airless sprayer to apply stain, what size tip to you like to use? I have a 413 and 415 tip but am wondering if a larger orafice will allow me to put down more stain with a little less "misting". I'm using Ready Seal and Bakers for stains.

The first number of the tip is the spray patter width. You take the number and multiply by two, that is the spray pattern in inches held 12 inches away from the surface as you coat the wood. The second 2 numbers are the orifice size. Most spec sheets for coatings will tell you what orifice to need to spray it.

Hey Rich,

I'm relying on memory, its been about 7 yrs. since we used an airless for semi-trans stains. May have been a 219?

Much depends on the stain you use. A Pump Tec HLVP works real well with a thin stain such as RS, as we are looking to get a high volume of oil into the wood. We run it at 25 - 30 PSI for vertical surfaces and around 50 PSI for horizontals. This minimizes misting. And with a thumb adjustment on the gun, you can control the volume output of stain in an instant.