Sign in to follow this  
dennis mcguinn

Soda blasting in SC

Question

Hello. I have really appreciated all the sharing of knowledge on this board. I have greatly benefited from it in the past. I'm hoping you can help me now with a question I have.

I want to try soda blasting, but all the sites I have checked out are not very informative. I want to blast wood, but am not sure if cob blasting or sodium bicarbonate blasting is better for wood.

Also, all the equipment sales sites just want to sell me the biggest and best stuff. What size compressor and hopper are really needed for this?

I'd really rather be able to mount it on a trailer, and not have to mortgage the house to do so.

There is a lot of boat hulls down here on the SC coast, not to mention all the rust everywhere here from the salt air. I think these 2 things show a real need for soda blasting.

I am in Charleston, SC, and would be interested in offering free labor in excnange for some training on soda blasting. Is anybody within a 250-300 mile radius of Charleston interested in helping me out?

thanks again for all your help over the years. Now I just want to have a blast.

Dennis

10 answers to this question

Hi Dennis,

It might just be that soda blasting is not something many have tried here. We have done cob and glass blasting, but not soda. What we do is on wood. Soda probably would work well on boat hulls. I did see a demo once where it took paint off of a car but it was very slow. I think Tom Vogel at ACR has a soda blasting contact. He can be reached at 610-253-8005.

Beth

p.s. no you don't smell....

Dennis,

1. Soda will not touch rust

2. Soda is great for boat hulls and theres money in it, as long as you purcased a good soda pot so your media is used efficiently.

3. depending on the appraissed value of the home it could require a mortgage. Soda pots are very specific in design and with a purpose for it. Dont think you can get a cheap pot and make money soda blasting.

4. you need a 185 compressor minimum.

5. expect to invest 20k to get mobile and remember your blowing out $30-$40 bags of soda compared to $5 bags of black beauty some of your competition will be using (for the rust spots).

6. Works good on wood, practice to get the lowest pressure possible.

7. Im getting *****ed at being on the computer, so gotta go, but there are many more items to discuss feel free to pm me.

i have a nice boat you can practice on .have you tried it beforeQUOTE=dennis mcguinn;146097]Hello. I have really appreciated all the sharing of knowledge on this board. I have greatly benefited from it in the past. I'm hoping you can help me now with a question I have.

I want to try soda blasting, but all the sites I have checked out are not very informative. I want to blast wood, but am not sure if cob blasting or sodium bicarbonate blasting is better for wood.

Also, all the equipment sales sites just want to sell me the biggest and best stuff. What size compressor and hopper are really needed for this?

I'd really rather be able to mount it on a trailer, and not have to mortgage the house to do so.

There is a lot of boat hulls down here on the SC coast, not to mention all the rust everywhere here from the salt air. I think these 2 things show a real need for soda blasting.

I am in Charleston, SC, and would be interested in offering free labor in excnange for some training on soda blasting. Is anybody within a 250-300 mile radius of Charleston interested in helping me out?

thanks again for all your help over the years. Now I just want to have a blast.

Dennis

Soda blasting equipment (rental) in dallas... mobile unit complete 300.00 dollars a day 1 week 1000 dollars

cost of soda $25 for a 50 lb bag

1 bag usage per hour (average)

gasoline (for compressor) 10 dollars per hour (average)

so it costs an average of 45 dollars per hour on top of 300 dollar a day rental..

oh and the answer to the big question.

How much area can you clean ?

paint on brick 1 square foot per minute.......(average) mulitable coats much longer

cleaning dirt and soot of walls 5-10 times faster average

Edited by dollarspa
a quote was accidentally added to post accidentally hit the wrong quote

Hi.... I was just illustrating what the hard cost of the tools were......to soda blast..roughly 600 dollars a day (8 hour day).....

the assumption is everyone has the insurance ...they have the truck and they have to travel to any job...

whether I pressure wash ....build a deck ..jack hammer concrete or sandblast .......I always have those costs

edit: this post is not meant to be snippy or condesending its just a reply and a explaination (I like jeff ...adrian and the grime scene)

Edited by dollarspa