Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

'09 the year for marketing?

I just had a really good conversation with Beth about marketing. What was really impressed upon me is how much success we derive from '09 will be in our ability to market to our prior and new customers. I myself am guilty of running a company with no truck lettering, no advertizing, not even a road side stand. And no I didn't even think about Christmas cards. Life was different back in the 90's.

Success won't be due to how long our deck stain jobs last - cause we all know even the best products out there are only giving half the life they use to. Success won't be due to the latest greatest F-450 we bought.

Success is going to be about how we are going to differentiate ourselves from our competitor - I've got some ideas that I am going to work on. And I am going to have to sit down and get my 'office' together. My files are a mess right now - my database of customers are just scribbled notes here and there - and half of the services I can offer aren't in any of my marketing materials.

I see now - that those who are succesful in '09 are the ones that have a well 'oiled' office with an arsenal of marketing ideas and campaigns. And flinging money here and there towards guys that promise to generate business for us ain't gonna work either. It's up to us to hone our own marketing machines.

I am up here in snowy New England - I've got exacly 2 months before my campaign of advertizing gets launched - it's going to be a busy 2 months!

I know I still won't be anywhere near completed - but I aim to be 100% better prepared than I was this year. If '09 is going to be as bad as I think - the one thing I can definitely say - is a big thank you to '08 for giving me a big enough kick in the pants - because if the '09 that I think is coming came a year earlier - I'd be totally dead in the water.

Daniel, the one thing that might save us is the people who were going to do a big remodel job, put a dormer on or whatever big task they were going to take on may not because of the economy. They may instead just do some sprucing up and cleaning up what they have to save some money for when things get better. Being from the northeast as well thats what I am hoping for and going to promote. I personally think the people you loose are going to be replaced by the people who used to have big money and are going to hold off on their Big plans.....just my opinion.

I have a gut feeling people at all income levels will be spending more on their homes this year. Not necessarily for improvements like additions but for basic maintenance and repairs. Home owners have been on a spending spree for all kinds of stuff and I know many homes around here need cleaning, painting, etc. I think this economy will get people focused on what is important and things like home maintenance will be given more of a priority. With homes still not selling many will also want to fix up the house they have knowing they will be in it for awhile. No facts to prove it, just a feeling.