Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

There is a window open

Question

You arrive to a customers residence that you will be washing - they're not home - it's expected. But you find one or perhaps several windows open, even though you told them to make sure they were shut. What do you do?

I've been guilty in the past of being extra careful of the water stream if it's just one window. But in general I imagine we should skip the job for the day. But that's time on a wasted trip and gas and in general human resources, especially with employees. How do you folks handle this with your customer? Shouldn't we be compensated for lost time? Does this leave a bad taste in the customers mouth - even though they forced our company to lose money. There doesn't seem to be an easy solution - what are some of your thoughts?

21 answers to this question

I've run into this, I will do the job without creating any problems for the homeowner. Just be extra careful around the open window and move on. You can't really just leave the job. If there is a screen in the window,(which most have), you'll be fine, just don't shoot direct. Just deal with it and explain to the customer the next time it would be nice to have the home closed up.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

This has happened to me numerous times. I just try to be careful. If using a ball valve you can cut your psi and flow down to almost nothing when going around the window. I doubt any water even gets in.

I don't know...I would tend to err on the side of caution here and come back another day. It only happens 2 or 3 times each season and it isn't really THAT big of a deal to come back...much easier than dealing with a customer that gets bleach spots on an expensive carpet (my luck an imported one of a kind), or has an open fish tank near the window...LOL...It's obviously inconvenient, but I'd rather chalk it up to a pain in the neck than risk damaging property or being accused of it. In the past, I have cleaned the 3 sides that have closed windows, ask for full payment, and come back to finish the one side when it's convenient for me.

Edited by Camelot

If it's possible I close the window( you may need a ladder) or I brush around the window ( for this you need a Brush and a pole to attach it to) .

Echo what Jimbo says.... also when we call them the day before, we make sure to tell them all windows and doors need to be firmly closed to prevent water intrusion. That seems to help.

Beth :cup:

This may sound obvious but I don't shoot at the window. We will wash above and below but will not aim anything into the widow section. The wash water running down from above mostly runs down the screen (if one is present) otherwise, it will splash on the window sill like a rain does but if you wash to direct the flow to either side from above, it is minimal. I don't like to waste a trip either and if the situation makes it one that you must directly clean the window, then I would re-schedule and charge them a trip fee.

Rod!~

I just move on and reschedule. My pricing takes these things into consideration and am never in a losing $$$ situation. Good customer service costs money and I charge for it upfront. Folks seem to think I charge too much, but this is what it is for. Providing a professional customer service that is satisfaction guaranteed.

I just move on and reschedule. My pricing takes these things into consideration and am never in a losing $$$ situation. Good customer service costs money and I charge for it upfront. Folks seem to think I charge too much, but this is what it is for. Providing a professional customer service that is satisfaction guaranteed.

I can see if you perhaps have a full schedule of customers and have 4 other jobs you can do that day - then fine. Move on - reschedule - come back another day. What if it's a job that's out of your way, and the only one you scheduled for that day?

No matter what your decision is it's an inconvenience an cost you money and more time any which way. In any event staying there and doing it is the easiest way out. It's scheduled.

I can see if you perhaps have a full schedule of customers and have 4 other jobs you can do that day - then fine. Move on - reschedule - come back another day. What if it's a job that's out of your way, and the only one you scheduled for that day?

Then just close the stupid window if possible and clean the house...or take the day and work on equipment maint or marketing...

Just part of doing business...sometimes jobs get cancelled or put off for all sorts of reasons.

I always advise customers that I charge extra for interior cleaning! Seriously though, I had a customer's son come home while I was working and I didn't realize that he had opened a 3rd story window (smoking) just a little. I had checked before I started, so I know he did it. Customer calls me later that evening to inform me that the carpet in her son's room had faded under the window! Fortunately, only cost $125 to blend-in color. Customer was happy and has had me back several times since.

Bottom line for me, I always try to get a number for the customer for the time I will be at their home for just such problems. If I can't reach them, I will usually wash everything else and come back. If the distance is too far, I may add a trip charge.

I always remind the customers ahead of time, to make sure all windows are closed. If for some reason 1 was left open, I usually have a # to contact the homeowner during that time of day. If homeowner is not available, I will try to close the window and / or wash around it. In 7 years I probably only had to reschedule 3-4 times because of windows being left open.

Most of the time there are screens in front of windows hindering your ability to close them. Personally I've just tried to be real careful applying the chems around the windows at obtuse angles. But the even bigger problem is if you leave workers that don't have the finesse of an owner - what then? Workers are bound to be sloppy.

Be careful on just closing the window. I was cleaning an apartment complex and noticed a window was open. When I went to close it, I noticed an expensive bird in a cage next to the window. No AC in the building. It would suck to have to replace a bird because it overheated.

I try to close open windows. If I can't, I will wash every area on the property that I can with the exception of that small area around the window. Explain to the customer the situation, more times than not they will feel bad for leaving in open, and inconviencing you. I will offer to come back next time I'm in the neighborhood and hit that spot.

One thing I will not do that I'm a bit supprised that so many on here say they will do is take chances cleaning around the open window. I'm not a big fan of incurring the risk of bleaching out a customers carpet, furniture, etc.

We run into open windows on complexes often. We try going to the door, we can't leave and come back so we either work around it or just dont do a little section. I will notify the PM if a lot of windows are open on a few day or more project. Usually/always the PM says do the best you can. I have had 6-8 calls out of thousands of buildings for water getting in. A few were open or leaky windows or around doors

Write it up in my proposals that I am not responsible or liable