Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Adding extra services

So I am at the point where I want to add extra services to what I do - but I am very hesitant about going about advertizing it. I think the danger is that I don't want to get labeled a 'handyman'. Now why you ask is that a bad thing? Well I think there is a perception that handymen are ok/good at many things but don't specialize in anything and they aren't expensive - and folks call them for all sorts of really really small jobs.

As well I looked up this guy who is a 'handyman' in my area who has taken quite a few interior paint jobs away from me {not that his work is any good} - I found out on manta that his yearly sales are 33k. And he works all the time!

So where do you balance offering other services and yet not come off as handyman service? Upselling carpentry has been huge for me this year and has netted some good money that I didn't advertize for. I don't think I would want to do handyman services for clients unless they already are having other services performed by me, ie deck resto, house wash, etc.

any of you offer a one stop shop for your clients?lawn care,PWing,hood cleaning, windows,janitorial services. somthing ive been thinking about for a while but wondering about dipping into to many markets and how much i can really make?let me know what you all think.

If you really good at one thing and have a relationship already in place it's easy to add on. It's interesting because when you do Highend your competition will be the Landgroomer( please I no it's a better name). The advantage they have over you is their there every 7 day's and will do anything that is asked!. But they become a Jack of all Trades and Master of None. We have to become Master's and I've done that. I have slowly taken away their jobs based on competence and knowledge. Also seeing inferior work and making recommendations . I have had a few nasty confrontations with Landgroomers but they know why now !

Dan,

We are experts at what we do. No Handyman can offer what we do. They are strickly for price shoppers. We don't want their (price shoppers), business any way. Being the best and offering the service and quality of work we do sets us apart. We don't do capentry, relplace doors and drywall or put down floors. We do the very best painting and pressure washing in our area. People know this and hire us for our service. Hope this helps. Thank you.