Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

could've been nice

Question

Had an insider on a major job. Maryland's parking authortiy has 4 garages in the Towson area that were testing high chloride levels. They usualy do it thierselves with a few hot water machines and a caustic degreaser. They realized this was a job for a professional and called my company for estimates. They had a budget of 4 million dollars to repair the concrete issues they had. They wound up paying a company to media blast the floor and seal it. It's a $800,000 job.. Must be nice. I did tons of research on chloride. but the best way, apparently was to remove a layer of the concrete with blasting. 2 floors of the job left them with almost 2 tons of material, bast media and concrete that needed a front end loader to remove it. Has anyone had any experience with this, does this seem assinine? Could the chloride content be controlled with chemical and hot water? I never heard of the company, there out of state, but they must specialize in concrete restoration......I guess

3 answers to this question

Doesn't seem too assinine as it is probably an original poor cement mix issue...

I think it is more about getting rid of the poor quality crete all the way down to and surrounding the underlying metal reinforcement structure, clearing up any corrosion found on it, and then repouring with proper crete mix before sealing. Being reinforcements are to be like at least 2" deep to prevent deterioration of it's protective layer I can't picture the process you described as being a full fix/restore. Seems unlikely they went deep enough for an actual inspection of the metal but perhaps they did test section or know how deep the proeblem was. Sounds like method they used was to just seal it up with better/denser crete and a seal which would be helpful. Prevent water and oxygen from getting in and there can be no corrosion is how all that works. Problems start after about 50-60% moisture I think.

Maybe ask Jim over at ***..

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Two tons is/is not alot of media depending on the area....if it is open, if the media is biodegradable, etc... There are specific pieces of equipment for reclaiming media but they are costly and depending on how much media we are talking about may not be worth it. What media did they use?

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
sp

I have cleaned up 2 tons of media with a shovel and garbage bags in about 3 hours, thats nothing. Sounds like a great gig, I'll have to look into that stuff.