Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

How many vacant or going out stores in a strip mall?

About how many vacant, for lease, or going out of business stores are there in your average strip mall? It should be interesting to see how many there are now, and how they replenish over time.

We have an Office Depot going out

We have a Smoothie King that just went in

In that same mall two restaurants went out

A bunch of Starbucks nearby went out

In another strip mall we have World Market going out

Five minutes from there a mom and pop small appliance repair went out

The areas larges spa wholesaler went out

We are losing the Home Depot Design Expo

I'm sure there is more....

Beth

We lost a Linens and Things, Goodys, a few restaurants, Circuit City, a furniture store and I am sure a few more I am forgetting. What is strange is that they keep building retail space around here. A new mall is nearly finished right across the street from a mall that has only been open for two years that is still half empty.

I read somewhere that they are anticipating 3000 mall closures over the near future due to business closures. THATS ALOT! I assume they are talking about mini malls, strip malls, etc..

What funny is they will still clean them, we had a customer the other day do a building wash and rear on a vacant center and still keep the fronts on a regular 30 day wash.

His reasoning is if he doesnt keep it clean , he may not find tenants if his is dirtier than his competition.

There are quit a few in the Houston area Beth.

The economy doesn't help, but alot in our area are still down from the hurricane. Some may not come back at all. The further North the better shape they are in.

Alot of Best Buy and Circuit City's are pulling the plug as well.

I have read that online sales are really putting a dent in them.

That's why resi's and wood are the focus for me this year.

Goody's going, Curcuit city going, my graphics guy Gone, Starbucks going strong:banana: and a few other small biz going. But the thing is in my area we have thousands and thousands of Marines on three bases and 20k more Marines comming this year or next. Housing developments are going up everywhere and a new large apartment complex is going up I just saw yesterday. They just remodled our mall. And added new stores to it like Ulta, Red Robbins, and Barns and Nobles with a Starbucks. More building everywhere you go here. None the less the economy is still being felt, mainly on small biz. Mainly those who were already feeling the pinch of the larger corporations coming in.

Edited by 4000psi

Here in Kalifornia there are very noticeable empty storefronts in the neighborhood malls and small centers. There are STILL commercial buildings going in!

Many residential foreclosures, yet a flurry of looky-lou's when one hits the blocks for cheap because it's a distressed property... (should be bulldozed).

Many people still working. Many not quite enough work. Under-employed.

People are ready for action, there is only a slow fizzle going on.

Craigslist LOADED with tools, pawnshop won't buy ANYTHING construction related.

A LOT of pu trucks and Suv's for sale on all streets and parking lots.

Obie supporters are beginning to wake up that he's doing no good.