Sign in to follow this  
Bilge Cleaner

Surface cleaner choice

Question

I went and looked at some 20" surface cleaners at Northern, the plastic ones are out of the question as I think they are to delicate/flimsey, the stainless one looked OK ( $550 ) what would you guys/gals recommend as far as brand/size?, my current pressure cleaner is a 4000/4gpm.

Thanks in advance for any input

21 answers to this question

Brand--good question, is more about parts used and/or wheel layout and overall design

Size--debatable depending on how fast ya want to go and again parts used

You can start off by examining what a few others are using or getting away with. Check out my latest work page 6 to about page 9 found here: Login

Info and examples put the numbers into perspective via use of a simple formula I came up with E=U/C

(where E=effectiveness, U=units(gpmxpsi), C=circumference)

The way it works is that if you decide on a level of effectiveness and are confident someone elses known results or choice in brand of rotary union, bar, etc. is able to put out good speeds/efficiency then you can plug in the numbers to get to same results with various washers or size surfacers.

This helps to calculate your circumference: circumference calculator

Keep in mind you may want to change your surfacer tips to larger size so your psi comes down between 3000-3500 so as to prevent damage to soft or fresh concrete skim coats. This would take your 16k units down to more like 14k units for figuring a size or effectiveness. Quik figuring tells me you'll be good somewhere's between 19"-25" of diameter depending on parts and effectiveness goal.

Edited by MMI Enterprises

I think Whisper Wash are some of the best by far. I like the solid bar and they are just tough machines. The 19" Classic for a 4gpm machine. 5.5gpm or above I would use the WW Big Guy.

Paul you by chance have any kind of list you can share of what brand unions a perticuar machine or manufacture tend to use in their design? For instance is a Hydrotek made by Hydrotek or is it a rebranded part made by company like Mozmatic?

No offence MMI but I prefer real life experience over theory, thats why I asked for personal on the job experience of what the pro's have chosen NOT E=MC2, but thanks for the input.

Paul

thanks for the quick response to my e-mail.

Bill W

None taken Bill...kinda hard to be offended by someone/anyone that has no experience with topic at hand. So you know, I pretty much deal in facts and but wise enough to know when a product has no cookie cutter standards that there is room for theory to be examined or elaborated on into known fact by those in the know. Sometimes it takes a sharing of book learned knowledge by those that may show up as much so as experience. Personal experience of what one saw is often different from what another saw...just look to the criminal witnesses/justice system to see how everyone sees things different. But if it is only experience yer after make sure to hang around the boards as pro's with 20+ years are bound to show some time or other...

My advice to you would be to learn the search button, cummulate many opinions or hard facts of the various makes, gain some respect for math cause it applies to pretty much everything, oh and don't take no wooden nickels.. :bouncy:

Thanks for the advice MMI

Your right I am new to House/flat cleaning but not new to pressure cleaning. I pressure cleaned bilges and tanks on Motor yachts from 1979-2005, your formula basicly boils down to tip size and travel speed which is nice as far as matching dia cleaner to size of PW but I still would like to get first hand opinion on what the pro's use especially in regards to durability and parts availibilty. I did not find much doing a search so thats why I posted. And yes this site is a wealth of knowledge.

PW but I still would like to get first hand opinion on what the pro's use especially in regards to durability and parts availibilty

From one pro to another I can tell you the pro's use every brand that you will end up hearing or reading of...This pro would say the fence leans towards Deublin on the rotary union part as far as respect which is probably earned via their durability, specs, and real world speeds. My underated Deublin ran a couple year at good speed.

Availability for a branded surfacer or parts thereof should be as simple as contacting and having a relationship with one of the vendors on these boards. Any reputable local supplier will carry this or that but question would be what is junk and what isn't....hence myth dispelling and sharing of any lists or logged info.

I can tell you that it is a special thing to run across a vendor that only sells what they know to be the best since they have to accomodate both thrifty disposable minded folk and high end at all cost folk. If I had to pick who has highest respect of trying to push only good stuff it would be Bob at Ptstate.

if you ask 10 guys what is the best and each has a different unit then you may get 10 answers. i personally have a couple of BE's and have been satisfied with them. i preferred the whisper wash because of the good reviews i have read but i picked up both of mine on ebay and luckily got a great deal on each. as far as parts are concerned you can contact russ johnson at southside equipment and he can assist you. i actually sent my lower unit to him once and he rebuilt the swivel for me.

good luck,

rando

I prefer Landa's myself. Tighter, smaller design and has an edging unit. Well built, will last forever with proper care.

post-3049-137772236747_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bryan C

Mosmatic and steel eagle are great cleaners with solid swivels.

I hated the bar configuration on the Steel Eagle...too easy to get one bar out of alignment, the bars are expensive, and they bend too easily. That, and the rotary union is expensive too.

I LOVE my Big Guy!

I went and looked at some 20" surface cleaners at Northern, the plastic ones are out of the question as I think they are to delicate/flimsey, the stainless one looked OK ( $550 ) what would you guys/gals recommend as far as brand/size?, my current pressure cleaner is a 4000/4gpm.

Thanks in advance for any input

I have a general pump brand that is sold by northern it has a polymer housing.Is this the one your talking about? If so I have washed alot of concrete with it and it's a pretty good tool for the money.If I was going to wash thousands od square feet a week like some of these guys then I would probably use a whisper wash but for the money and what I do with it the GP works for me.

n

I miss my Landa rep...

Bryan, that landa have bar/union height adjustment up under that cone? What union it using and are the tip angles adjustable?

Yep, and yep. These aren't cheap. Think I paid over $1,000 for it but worth every penny.

Edited by Bryan C