Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

lost pressure

its a hydrotek 3005 sc with a cat pump, lost pressure its about 800 psi. It will shoot real low then spike for awhile then back down to 800 psi. I think the pump's done. I have a friend that has 2 gerneral pumps, Is it a possible swap or is it a pia? Is it definetely the pump? The unloader is pumping the same volume of water back in the tank.

Check for junk first like MMI says also your unloader may be stuck in partial bypass mode, I would check a few more things before a switch.

As far as the switch goes you can change them over, you will more than likely need a new pulley for the pump as they typically turn different RPM's and will have to drill some new holes for mounting the pump as they will not line up as well. If your unloader and other parts are still good you should be able to reuse them.

yes i did, the pump performed perfectly, what a relief.

Then if unloders are same spec and suitable for your pump you'll want to make sure they of same type. Pressure/trapped type unloader holds pressure in line and gives a kick when trigger is pulled. Flow type builds pressure upon pulling trigger.

You can install it on the high pressure side of the pump (top) prior to the unloader. It should only activate when the unit is under load then.

If you are using a different unloader I am guessing it does not have a port for it and you have it installed the extra bypass port.