Sign in to follow this  
logager

When your sick

Question

I've been dealing with respitory infection and now ear infections for the last almost 2 weeks. You guys that are one man shows, what do you do? Do you have someone that you send business to, and they reciprocate? Do you suck it up, and do the work anyway? Or do you put the job off a little while till you feel better?

Lyle

14 answers to this question

I just do it. I have washed trucks when I had torn all the ligaments in my ankle once. It was miserable, but I had no other options. If I remember right, (This was about 15 years ago) it took me about three times as long as it normally would to do the job. I was miserable. I have also worked through all manner of colds and flus. As long as I am mobile, I am going to work. Sometimes whining all the way, but I am going to work.

Worked for 1 year with torn rotator cuff, kept arm and shoulder tucked in and used other arm to swing wand cleaning trucks. Did same on decks but a little easier as did not have to reach as high. Colds and flu work through them.

When my what?

LOL! I nearly spit coffee on my laptop.

I've worked pretty sick, and have some physical issues every workday due to injuries, but I try to remember that doing something that endangers my longterm health can limit my chances to enjoy my family here on Earth. I also try not to risk the health of those customers or coworkers that I might pass sickness to.

Jim Hensen died from curable pneumonia because he wouldn't take time from his busy schedule to see a doctor until it was too late.

1st year I worked alone and only had the option of hiring a day laborer from a temp agency once in a while.

I rescheduled when it was detrimental to my health to do otherwise. The business was young then and now I am fortunate to have crews that do the work most of the time.

I had a bad incident where I burned my lungs from exposure to chlorine and was down for a week (had no choice) and since then, I changed the way I do things to avoid that again.

Sorry to hear you are down with a respiratory infection. Been there, done that...too many times... My sympathies. Get well!

Rod!~

Hey, I posted in this thread originally just to say that I hoped you got well soon, but I forgot!

What a fool, huh?

Anyway, get over it soon, and be careful with your health. Situatins like this are good arguments against low prices, and for hiring help to get you out from behind the wand.

I'm still a pretty steady one-guy deal myself, but I know my family can't afford the risk any longer.

LOL! I nearly spit coffee on my laptop.

I've worked pretty sick, and have some physical issues every workday due to injuries, but I try to remember that doing something that endangers my longterm health can limit my chances to enjoy my family here on Earth. I also try not to risk the health of those customers or coworkers that I might pass sickness to.

Jim Hensen died from curable pneumonia because he wouldn't take time from his busy schedule to see a doctor until it was too late.

LOL, was wondering if anyone caught that!

I agree...I might be ABLE to push myself that hard, but it isn't good for my health, and my wife and son need me to be healthy. I don't have anything to prove to anyone other than them.

I had a bad incident where I burned my lungs from exposure to chlorine and was down for a week (had no choice) and since then, I changed the way I do things to avoid that again.

Sorry to hear you are down with a respiratory infection. Been there, done that...too many times... My sympathies. Get well!

Rod!~

I was in the hospital for 5 days with a severe case of pneumonia four years ago after I spent 2 hours on a hot roof spraying chlorine. Took me weeks before I could work, and about a year to get over all the symptoms..