Sign in to follow this  
ERADicator

Air compressor HP for given CFM (Soda)

Question

I've been looking into getting a used/refurbed gas or diesel compressor for soda blasting. The blaster I'm thinking of starting out with requires 6-25 CFM at 65-125 PSI. The compressor might just stay on the truck most of the time, so a stationary unit is okay. Some of the places I'd be working, a trailerized unit won't be able to go.

I will probably be using filter masks rather than a supplied-air respirator (hood), so what horsepower range should I be looking for to reliably keep up that max flow if it's ever needed? If I eventually get into dry ice blasting, I'll need something that will do 185 CFM, but for now I think a smaller one will be adequate. (And less expensive.)

From what I've seen so far, 13 HP is about right for the power, but I'm still figuring out tank size, stages, etc. I did some window-shopping on eBay, but it's a pain sorting out all the categories, etc. Google isn't much better, maybe worse, because it comes up with NexTag and all the others that mostly point to eBay. :banghead:

5 answers to this question

I do not advise a filter mask over an air supplied respirator hood in any blasting circumstance at all. There are serious lung disease issues associated with blasting and neither you nor your employees should be exposed for any duration. A blast helmet with a dedicated air supply is the way to go.

Beth