Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Propylene Glycol?

Question

Figured this was the best choice to place this question. Although it's ultimately about roof cleaning, it's about a product some of you fellas may or may not use.

What will propylene glycol to if mixed with chlorine? Wondering if it will add extra punch to chlorine as it does to hydroxide mixes. Wanted to ask before trying it, considering I don't know the reaction it will create.

Thanks,

Jeff

12 answers to this question

I think they're two opposing chemical reactions - one chem is trying to oxidize and the other is trying to 'change' it's target. I don't think the two work well with each other - but it will be interesting to read others' thoughts on this.

Thanks Dan!! Just waiting for the weather to turn into Spring, and my mind seems to be thinking and wandering as of late,..Ha, Ha!! Have 22 jobs as of right now,...I need some GREAT or even GOOD weather!!!

Jeff

I am now scrapping this idea!!

They don't look to be compatible.

Good call. Asking first, rather than just mixing a little of each "to see what happens" was good, too.

Plainpainter's right, chlorine is an oxidizer, one of the things that can react with propylene glycol. From the Material Safety Data Sheet:

Special Remarks on Reactivity:

Hygroscopic; keep container tightly closed. Incompatible with chloroformates, strong acids (nitric acid, hydrofluloric acid), caustics, aliphatic amines, isocyanates, strong oxidizers, acid anhydrides, silver nitrate, reducing agents.

Thanks for asking that, 'cause I now have a copy of that MSDS in my collection. I know I'll want that information again some day, and that'll save me the time of having to look it up on-line. :cool:

..just a little warning..

Not gonna speak to these two products but just bare in mind folks that when we are after something to work better or faster- aka clean by way of product mixing we generally are asking it to speed up the reactions or oxidizing or releasing of a chems power faster or different than what the chem or product was designed for or how it was meant to be used on its own. Therefore alot of them incompatability info's or warnings listed for a chem go out the window as the warnings have to respect it's listed use. Many things can be mixed to beneficial results but that said, mixing can be dangerous course to take as well. I mean you go releasing the stored power all at once and ya make a cloud of poisonous chlorine gas or something. ...I would only urge mixing things if it is well documented as being ok to do so.

According to the chemical reactivity worksheet, the results of this combination are not very good.

A3 - Forms very unstable explosive metallic compounds

A6 - Reaction proceeds with explosive violence and/or forms explosive products

B4 - Spontaneous ignition of reactants or products due to reaction heat

C - Exothermic reaction. May generate heat and/or cause pressurization

D3 - Combination liberates gaseous products, at least one of which is toxic. May cause pressurization

While some may have seen this combination in other solutions, there are probably stabilizers and buffers to allow the combination without any dangerous reaction.

I love this new worksheet...

Go to the link and download the latest version called Chemical Reactivity (CRW)

Download Catalog | NOAA's Ocean Service Office of Response and Restoration

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

The manufactures of Cleaning Chems have spent more than a few bucks to test and refine their products to do the job as safely as possible. There a lot of chemical reactions that can get DEADLY if they are mixed. Ammonia and clorox right from the grocery store when mixed can kill you in minutes. Its best to let the Chemical mixing to the experts and sell more jobs to do instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Just my $.02 worth. Only been in the power wash business for 18 years ,so I too am still learning.

Figured this was the best choice to place this question. Although it's ultimately about roof cleaning, it's about a product some of you fellas may or may not use.

What will propylene glycol to if mixed with chlorine? Wondering if it will add extra punch to chlorine as it does to hydroxide mixes. Wanted to ask before trying it, considering I don't know the reaction it will create.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff - working on a SH activator.

IF it works I will Tell you all about it one day :)

If NOT - come see me in the Emergency Room ;)

Why not just mix TSP with bleach - it's a synergistic detergent builder that increases the power of bleach. I know this because when I mix a heavy duty tsp/metasilicate cleaner and combine it with bleach - I can clean up grey wood with the same %'s most guys use for gentle house washing.

The manufactures of Cleaning Chems have spent more than a few bucks to test and refine their products to do the job as safely as possible. There a lot of chemical reactions that can get DEADLY if they are mixed. Ammonia and clorox right from the grocery store when mixed can kill you in minutes. Its best to let the Chemical mixing to the experts and sell more jobs to do instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Just my $.02 worth. Only been in the power wash business for 18 years ,so I too am still learning.

Hi ****,

Please go to the "My Controls" and complete you signature.

Welcome to TGS.

Yea, I'm always thinking also Chris,...never know when one of us back yard chemists will come up with just the right thing,....or die trying,..Ha,Ha!!

Jeff