Sign in to follow this  
dwsracing

gutter zap

Question

30 answers to this question

If you insist on using GZ, I know that Northern Tool now carries it. I'm sure you can get a better price form one of the many pw vendors, but in a pinch...

For me, Simple Green is the answer. Less aggressive, works great, available everywhere and reasonably inexpensive. (Also no-toxic.)

How easy is Simple Green to use on gutters? Can you apply with a brush on an extension pole and get the streaks off with ease or is there more elbow grease involved since it's not as aggressive as Gutter Zap?

I wondered if a pool company carried it. I have used simple green and it works like most cleaners, cleans ok on most things. I was looking for a place I could walk in and buy, no shipping. DW

How easy is Simple Green to use on gutters? Can you apply with a brush on an extension pole and get the streaks off with ease or is there more elbow grease involved since it's not as aggressive as Gutter Zap?

This is exactly how to do it. Only work an area that you can rinse before it dries. Even though SG is gentle, if you see the brush foaming, its likely the finish from the gutter - which is bright, shiny aluminum! I use SG undiluted and usually just need to wipe it on and rinse it off. The underside of the gutter can be a pain though. It may not be as aggressive as GZ, but it works as well or better - and for less.

I wondered if a pool company carried it. I have used simple green and it works like most cleaners, cleans ok on most things. I was looking for a place I could walk in and buy, no shipping. DW

Every hardware store in America sells SG - usually about $9 to $10/gal. Check you local auto parts store or Northern Tool, which carries 5 gal jugs for $48. Its labeled as an "Automotive" version, but the company confirms only the color and smell are different.

Castrol Super Clean or Wesley's Bleche White - both are pretty "charged-up" butyl based cleaners that you can pick up in the store (look in the automotive section). They will strip the paint off the gutters if you aren't careful, but they will clean almost any gutters.

F-13 from Pressuretek works well (I use it in my house wash mix). It is potassium hydroxide based and really will clean most gutters when mixed into your housewash like it is advertised.

Thank for everyone's input, my hope was too use something that works. Have used many brands through the years, just when you think you have something that works, The next job that you use it on, don't work for a darn. Just hate wasting time and money on PW jobs. DW

Do most of you guys wash the gutters seperate (by hand w/brush & pole) from your house power wash? I do it seperately 99% of the time because most of the gutters around here are really dirty with black streaks.

I'm also hesitant to make my house wash mix much stronger. This way I don't kill the vegitation around houses. Better safe than sorry. I'm just a cautious person.

If gutters dont come clean with normal house wash mix its an add on to hand brush. Customers know this before the work starts. Generally my mix gets them clean the majority of the time.

my .02. I tried simple green today on my neighbors gutters. it works, but it takes a lot of effort to remove the stripes. A LOT OF EFFORT. and i gave up after about 10 minutes, i only got about 8ft and you could still see them. it was definitely cleaner then the rest. but not good enough

If gutters dont come clean with normal house wash mix its an add on to hand brush. Customers know this before the work starts. Generally my mix gets them clean the majority of the time.

What is your mix or solution?

I have been using F-13 from Pressure Tek for over 3-years on all my gutters. I feel you can't buy a better gutter cleaner.

I have been using F-13 from Pressure Tek for over 3-years on all my gutters. I feel you can't buy a better gutter cleaner.

I use F-13 on gutters too and love it. But I was curious about Brad's house wash solution that gets the gutters clean the majority of the time. My house wash mix is not strong enough to get the black streaks on gutters clean.

My house wash mix is a little on the safe side I guess.

my .02. I tried simple green today on my neighbors gutters. it works, but it takes a lot of effort to remove the stripes. A LOT OF EFFORT. and i gave up after about 10 minutes, i only got about 8ft and you could still see them. it was definitely cleaner then the rest. but not good enough

I can only assume you were not using it full strength. I will also caution - regardless of what you use - if the streaks look like they are not coming off no matter how much you work on them, you may, in fact, be looking at stripes of bare aluminum. The finish on some gutters is too weak to be cleaned aggressively, In addition, if the gutters have been painted in the past, they tend to be more difficult to clean.

What is the advantage of Simple Green at $9 a gallon over Castrol Super Clean at $7 dollars a gallon,...or Purple Power at $5 a gallon? They are all butyl based and from what I remember about Simple Green is it's not any stronger than any of the above mentioned. Smells better though.

Jeff

Temperature was probably the culprit if I were to guess. I'm in Pa and it has been to cool here for gutter cleaning. In the right temps, they should come off at no stronger than 50/50 mix. As it warms I can go 1/3's. I use Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean, each is cheaper than Simple Green,...does the same work.

Jeff

Not sure why, but I've not had luck with anything other than Simple Green. I used to like Krud Kutter, but they changed the formula a few years ago. Absolutely true about the temps. On cooler days, I heat-up the gutters with about 120* water. (Another reason to have hot water!)

Is that what happen to Krud Kudder, I have been using that for a few years and at first the stuff was great for house wash. Lately it don't work worth a darn and just don't know what too use now. Thats why Im not a fan of powerwashing, I fight with stains and what to use, where in window cleaning, it's clean or it's dirty. Guess i'm one that wants it clean the first time everytime. Time is money. DW

What is the advantage of Simple Green at $9 a gallon over Castrol Super Clean at $7 dollars a gallon,...or Purple Power at $5 a gallon? They are all butyl based and from what I remember about Simple Green is it's not any stronger than any of the above mentioned. Smells better though.

Jeff

I use it as a sell.NON TOXIC is right on the bottle.I have had people hire me because if the green aspect of it.That is my justification.I also don't like getting the other stuff on me.I use simple green in my mix to clean houses so it's on the trailer already too.

What is your mix or solution?

3.5 gal SH, 1.5 water 2 cups Simple Cherry, and 6 oz F13. If they dont come clean to my high standards I use F13 and brush. I charge extra for this and state on the contract.

If you want Gutter Zap go to sunbrite supply.com. I soap the gutters with power house soap, gentle scrub, clean most of the time. If not good enough for my liking, I have a bucket of Zap near by. Dip my brush, gentle scrub, CLEAN. That simple.