Sign in to follow this  
jmyrick11

1st Deck Cleaning/Staining Project - Step-by-Step

I used percarb on everything and let it dwell about 15-30 minutes and rinsed it off with a powerwasher with a very large fan spray...not high pressure at all...only encounteered some furring on the spindles really, which I hear is very common. I did have to do the decking twice with percarb though. I followed that with citric to neutralize and brighten then washed that off per Jake Clark's recommendation at Armstrong-Clark

Looks great. Seems like you spent a lot of time researching everything prior to the work. Not very common for DIYers.

Spindles will fuzz a lot of the time. You're right, pretty common.

Thanks for the feedback...I spent weeks researching after finding this and other sites for feedback. I wanted something better than the Thompson's I used last time which grayed very fast and didn't weather very well. If I'm going to do something I want to to at least try to do it right instead of trying to fix it after I've messed it up...

The AC semi-trans applied really easy I thought. I used a Wooster 6" on a pole for the decking and a 2" for the tops rails. I'll finish the spindles with the 2" and use the 6" for the other areas big enough for it. I also did it in half dark so I was very happy with it once it did get light out. No areas that I missed or so it seems. The rain today has confirmed this as it beads right up.

Up close it does look more like the traditional cedar stain look. A hint orangey I would say but not too drastic. The pics do make it a bit darker than it really is

I am still in the process of trying to finsih of the rest of teh rails/spindels...what is the min dry time for verticals before they can be sealed? I know 48 hours is required for the horizontals but figured the verticals would dry much faster

I'm not a deck guy,(although I've done a few),... but don't set yourself up for disappointment. The beading is common at first even with something like Thompson's water seal,... but then the beading stops after a certain amount of time. I could be wrong, and maybe your product of choice will bead forever,..but don't be disappointed if the beading stops after a period of time. I say this because it doesn't mean the protection has gone,..just isn't beading.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Yeah not too concerned...I have read that AC does bead though while others "spread out" the water instead of beading on top. As long as it keeps looking good I don't care what it does with the water, just keep it away from my wood!!!!!