Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

In support of Beth

Question

There has been a recent spate of people resigning as moderators on both TGS and ***. I am not going to air the dirty laundry from *** here, but there are many things that apply to both boards.

Late last week Beth banned Chris from Apple. Chris stepped a little over the line in his posts, but was not the first person that went negative. As often happens, multiple people starting bombarding Beth that Chris was out of line and she saw the post of Chris, and banned him. I sent her a PM to look at the total thread. After review, she did what I felt was appropriate, because she saw the same thing that I did.

I know that many people have personal opinions on how some contractors do their specialty, and many of them are personal bias because either they do not agree with the methods, or think that someone elses equipment is overkill and unnecessary.

In the future, I would invite you, if you disagree with another contractor, that instead of going personal, you do the professional thing, and give what you would do as an alternative.

That is just my view.

26 answers to this question

I don't think you are going to stop it.It's the same handful of people that are just argumentative.Every board they are on it's the same thing.My way is right and your way is wrong and if you don't agree with it I will just start flaming away on you.

I think the thing to do would be ban them and delete their posts.That way it's gone and there are no website values for them hits and such.I guess I just have trouble understanding why if something or somebody is causing problems just get rid of them period!They will never play nice for long.

I have read a bunch of resignations lately behind stuff such as this and it kinda amazes me that these are "Grown Men and Women" that are calling these moderators and admins whining like kids.

Come on its a bulletin board if you don't like the people get off it!

I don't think you are going to stop it.It's the same handful of people that are just argumentative.Every board they are on it's the same thing.My way is right and your way is wrong and if you don't agree with it I will just start flaming away on you.

I think the thing to do would be ban them and delete their posts.That way it's gone and there are no website values for them hits and such.I guess I just have trouble understanding why if something or somebody is causing problems just get rid of them period!They will never play nice for long.

I have read a bunch of resignations lately behind stuff such as this and it kinda amazes me that these are "Grown Men and Women" that are calling these moderators and admins whining like kids.

Come on its a bulletin board if you don't like the people get off it!

My thoughts exactly. If someone get so worked up over a BBS, theres something wrong with them to begin with.

Get a life.

I unfortunately cannot comment about this particular situation as it involved one of my Transition Team membes and it would not be appropriate. I did not get involved in that rhread for the very same reason.

I unfortunately cannot comment about this particular situation as it involved one of my Transition Team membes and it would not be appropriate. I did not get involved in that rhread for the very same reason.

ROTFLMAO....... then why did you post just now? :lol:

Beth

I for one think they should all be given one warning and then they are done ....... FOR GOOD!, this dead horse we are beating has had the guts beat out of it long ago.

I totally agree with Russ on this one. We're supposed to be grown ups running our own business here. Bout time we act like it.

What amazes me is the continous reference to "women" in the comparisons. Frankly, the much larger majority of participants in these frays are MEN. I'm starting to refer to my 13 old daughter's middle school dramatics as acting like the boys on the forums.

At the end of the day, all that should be in view are helpful, relevant threads, not the personal attacks on ANYONE, BY ANYONE.

One other view on this......

This forum is provided as an aid to the industry by Beth & Rod. It is also a BUSINESS to them. Would you go to another company's job site and start raising a ruckus in front of their customers? What makes it okay to do it here. People's behavior here not only reflects on the public's perception of our industry, but it can also hurt the very people that make this site possible. If you like what is here, stay and be positive. If you don't, don't come here. How hard is that?

I support Beth !

I have done wrong before here on TGS, and paid the price for it too.

I think she is quite fair, and does a pretty darn good job overall.

IOW - I feel she is RIGHT much more than she is Wrong.

NO one is "perfect" :)

What amazes me is the continous reference to "women" in the comparisons. Frankly, the much larger majority of participants in these frays are MEN. I'm starting to refer to my 13 old daughter's middle school dramatics as acting like the boys on the forums.

Nope, I made no reference to women. I made reference to homonal teenage girls.

ROTFLMAO....... then why did you post just now? :lol:

Beth

Huh? What the heck does that mean Beth? I wanted to acknowledge that I was aware of this issue but couldn't really comment. Nothing more ~ nothing less. I been on this board for over 6 years and been a mod for I don't know how long. Are you saying that I should not have made a comment?

Huh? What the heck does that mean Beth? I wanted to acknowledge that I was aware of this issue but couldn't really comment. Nothing more ~ nothing less. I been on this board for over 6 years and been a mod for I don't know how long. Are you saying that I should not have made a comment?

It struck me as funny at a time when I needed a laugh. It read to me like "I am posting but not saying anything" which just gave me the giggles. :lol: Still does! :lol:

Don't get all tense. It's OK to laugh. Seems like we could all use some laughter!

Beth

It struck me as funny at a time when I needed a laugh. It read to me like "I am posting but not saying anything" which just gave me the giggles. :lol: Still does! :lol:

Don't get all tense. It's OK to laugh. Seems like we could all use some laughter!

Beth

LOL....all right...okay....two deep breaths 'Los.

Later gator!!

Know what? its the crazy internet, it drives us all nuts, every BB is going nutsy, we are all flipping BB wack jobs LOL LOL . I wonder what the other 20,000 plus pressure washing contractors that dont post on the BB's DO. Oh what they are missing....... NOT

Silly internet

This is a nasty time of the year for most buisness owners. You have the usuall slowness of post christmas coupled with the economy and personal taxes are due as well so there is alot of stress involved.

Personally I want to thank you Scott Stone for being the moral and ethical compass of BBSland.Since resigning as a moderator from both TGS and *** my cell phone rings much less and I have been able to focus on my business, marketing and my family.

I think these sites are a great tool and hope they continue to thrive as such.The one thing I would like to see is the "Ivory Tower Syndrome" come to an end.

Many act as though they are without transgression,but none of us are perfect and we have all over reacted to something or someone on the internet in the past.There is dirty laundry everywhere on these sites if one chooses to dig deep enought to find it.

Good,bad or ugly we will never all get along.There is no perfect world unfortunately.

I just posted on another BBS that if your around long enough some bozo is going to come out of the woodwork and bash you. It's not personal, it's just one of those things!

Beth and I have had a an issue or two in the past and we've both put it behind us and moved on. If two heavy duty competitors like Beth and I can put the past behind us and move on I don't see why anyone else on here can't do it. Come on folks, we live TWO BLOCKS from each other and compete against each other in the real world. You know, the face to face one where it really matters?

Unfortuanetly a lot of people misinterpet posts online. One misplaced comma or period and the post takes on a whole different meaning from what was intended. Carlos's and Beth's last few posts prove it!

I've started focusing on running my companies over the last year or so instead of trolling on BBS's and it's done amazing things for my bank account, I'd highly recommend everyone focus on running a business instead of getting all tied up in BBS's.

I think Beth is doing a hell of a job here at TGS and I don't think anyone really understands just how much time is invested in running a BBS. Her and Rod spend a lot of time on here trying to help people out, they sure don't need to deal with meaningless BS.

I just posted on another BBS that if your around long enough some bozo is going to come out of the woodwork and bash you. It's not personal, it's just one of those things!

Beth and I have had a an issue or two in the past and we've both put it behind us and moved on. If two heavy duty competitors like Beth and I can put the past behind us and move on I don't see why anyone else on here can't do it. Come on folks, we live TWO BLOCKS from each other and compete against each other in the real world. You know, the face to face one where it really matters?

Unfortuanetly a lot of people misinterpet posts online. One misplaced comma or period and the post takes on a whole different meaning from what was intended. Carlos's and Beth's last few posts prove it!

I've started focusing on running my companies over the last year or so instead of trolling on BBS's and it's done amazing things for my bank account, I'd highly recommend everyone focus on running a business instead of getting all tied up in BBS's.

I think Beth is doing a hell of a job here at TGS and I don't think anyone really understands just how much time is invested in running a BBS. Her and Rod spend a lot of time on here trying to help people out, they sure don't need to deal with meaningless BS.

I don't know what to say....

Thank you Henry! :) Thank you very much.

And boy I could not agree more about focusing on business. That is perhaps the single most frustrating thing for me in this, is I spend what little time I can trying to help, and then when it gets out of hand I don't think anyone realized the cost to all of us; TGS staff and members alike lose valuable profit generating time they cannot regain. This BBS was set up to be an information repository of all of us, to make all of our lives easier and hopefully more profitable. It should be a place to build positive relationships and to network and grow your business. But like anything else you do, you have to manage your time on any task you allow to be part of your business day.

Beth

I have been banging my head thinking of something valuable to post on this situation.

Some of it may contribute to cabin fever ( for those up North), some to slow biz and season not in full swing etc. I look at some of the Vets that have 10's of thousands of post' and think how much help to others are in those post'. Then I see alot of people that have 1000's of post' that are not as productive as we all would like, even to the point of being combative. To hear of late that there are even threats going on.

Well, I just don't know what to say except, that this is Beth & Rods "house".

And B&R like to keep a clean house for the future and as they have in the past.

I think if we are all adults as we claim, then we should act that way and do our part to help B&R run a clean household. I mean this place is here for us because of them.

This may not mean as much to some of you folks as it does me. But years ago a fellow named Jim Crossly ( some may remember him) told me about TGS. He said it is the best place to learn. At that time some of the other BBS were not even around yet. He told me to learn as much as I can here and then get some work done.

He also told me that if I spend all of my time on TGS I will never get any work done. LOL. It's pretty simple to me in my simple type mind.

There are plenty of other places to go and "fight". We should come here to learn and apply it in the field and in the industry alike, and share the knowledge to keep this a justified growing industry. It is still yet a relatively young industry, and we are the ones shaping it.

I'll add my thanks to B&R for TGS along with the others who understand what's involved here. Also to the Mods and FL's of past and present for helping tow the line.

The knowledge I have learned from all of you has been the platform of my business existance.

Let's all help out B&R keep this house clean so they can run their business in the world that does not start with www.TGS

I liked this forum better when everyone posted pictures of their finished decks - and the bleach wars were funny too. I forget what the war was about - guys were arguing against bleach to clean homes?

LOL Dan ... The "Bleach Wars" :)

TGS bb has been so valuable to my business I don't know where I would've been without it. Beth and Rod I can not thank enough for all they have done here to help all of us to be more successful and to even make some friends along the way. What a great site this has been and will continuously be for hopefully a very long time. To Beth and Rod and to all the others that participate here THANK YOU!!!