Sign in to follow this  
Cappspressurewashing

Best oil/stain for Ipe deck?

Question

I know this has probably been asked before but I cannot find anything that answers my questions in the archives. I am wondering how Cabot Australian Timber Oil (natural) looks and holds up against some other oils/stains that you guys have used. I like the initial look that ATO has but I am wondering if there are products that look as good and last longer. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and really only get about a year or so out of ATO.

As a side note: I just found this forum and can't stop reading it. It's great. My company is Capp's Pressure Washing and I have been in business for 6 years or so. Residential Pressure Washing / Deck Restoration. Thanks, Chris Capp

6 answers to this question

Check out Messmer's UV oil. A customer asked me to apply it to thier IPE deck that they had used it on before and it seems to do very well. I believe the Sealer Store that sponser's this site sells it.

Chris,

I have been testing various stains on a floor board of my own ipe' deck. Info can be seen in this thread: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/14677-ipe-stain-shoot-out.html

For appearance and color retention at the 8 month mark, I would reluctantly, but honestly, have to give kudos to the Defy Hardwood Stain. It is a waterbase, which I do not care for, due to numerous reasons.

Second place goes to Armstrong-Clark stain, a true oil that is easy to maintain. It has held up very well compared to previous oil stains used in the past on this deck.

Cabot's ATO use to be a good product for hardwoods prior to the VOC changes. Those products are all going or gone.

Welcome to TGS! :) Glad you found us. Please go to your My Controls and add your signature. Thanks!

Beth

I'm not sure what a signature is? Can you please explain it. I notice that some forum members have their contact info under the avatar. How can I do this? Thanks, Chris