Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Fire

Question

I spilled some fuel while filling up the PW. The exhaust ignited it and the fuel tank caught fire and then jumped to the fuel can in my hand.

I capped off the pw fuel tank right through the flames and dropped the gas container to the ground. I pulled the towel I had off of my shoulders and smothered the fuel container while the pw fire was still cooking.

I ran around the trailer and uncoupled the hose and put out the fire on the pw. After a minimal inspection I went back to work and realized there could have been two explosions but weren't.

The whole incident didn't really "kick in" until later after the project was finished.There was fire shooting up from the PW and out of the can at the same time like oil derricks. ........ and yes, I use a funnel to fuel up, but still managed to spill some. I could have wound up in a burn unit if I didn't act as swift as I did......... Or ..... my gaurdian angels deserve a raise, one of the two.

Oh yea, the snakes are out in full force as well. I now hold the world's record for high jumping from a stationary position and running horizontally in mid air just like the cartoon characters. Be careful by the lakes folks.

..... all in one day, the day that is "Company Policy" not to work on.

Man, I hate any day that falls on the 13th. Not just Fri.

Trying to keep a smooth schedule and said "Yea I'll work today, it'll be alright".

At least I got paid in cash and a little tip.

Edited by Adrian

17 answers to this question

Whew! Sometimes a "hot refuel" turns into a HOT refuel. :eek:

Thanks for making my day seem tame by comparison. A lady backed into my car on a job site this morning. I told her if it was the worst thing that happened to me all day, I'd be okay with that. What you went through makes my "paint exchange" seem like pretty small 'taters.

You get my vote for first place in the "Why I should have stayed home and in bed on the 13th" contest. I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

Wow...further proof that we should all carry fire extinguishers somewhere on our rigs. Glad you're OK Adrian...

- John

Adrian,

Glad you are OK. After that inferno, your PW was working fine and you were able to work? Thank your lucky stars.

After reading and hearing various fire stories over the years, mounted an extinguisher by the side door of my E-250 early this spring. More for peace of mind, hope I never have to use it. A small one is inexpensive, think it cost less than $30.

Adrian,

Glad you are OK. After that inferno, your PW was working fine and you were able to work? Thank your lucky stars.

After reading and hearing various fire stories over the years, mounted an extinguisher by the side door of my E-250 early this spring. More for peace of mind, hope I never have to use it. A small one is inexpensive, think it cost less than $30.

Yep, most of the spill was on the tank and on the exhaust side.

The fuel cut off switch melted a bit along with some of the battery case and strap. The pretty red Briggs design is now black with soot.

But, I turned the key and she fired right up. Oh the fuel tank is a little warped from the heat as well. I ran it for another hour. It sputtered a bit from doucheing the the unit with water. Maybe got a little in one of the fuel filters or carbs.

This is where you guys will want to slap me. !!!!!!!

I do have an extinguisher. It's at the very bottom of the tool chest......

BURIED.

I just didn't want to dig for it and cost time.

It will now reside in a more accessable location.

But yea, it stills runs fine, it's just black now instead of red.

I am still freaking that I did not get one burn anywhere.

When the can was at my side , my shirttail caught fire and didn't burn any skin. When I put the cap back on the briggs to put out the "derrick"

I only singed my hair. I got so lucky.

Quite a fews jobs under my belt over the years and this is a first.

It was 90 degrees and 20mph winds all day. Those tanks should have blown but they didn't. Maybe it was the way they were scientifically designed or like I said, someone "up there" needs a raise and a praise.

Edited by Adrian

Adrian, very glad to hear you are okay. I hate hot fueling. I have spilled it on the exhaust several times and even without the flash fire, I instinctually jumped back. Its a gut wrenching moment.

...I do have an extinguisher. It's at the very bottom of the tool chest......

BURIED.

I just didn't want to dig for it and cost time.

It will now reside in a more accessable location. ...

Adrian,

Probably what saved the PW and maybe your truck. Quick thinking and action.

Found a good spot, right next to the side double door, up on the bulkhead. Real accessible, high enough to be out of the way of equipment, with a quick release bracket.

Have a new guy starting Monday. I think a fire drill is in order.

I got a big contract washing army housing units this summer. They make me have a fire extinguisher and my gas has to be in a metal can. Now i am glad they do as what could happen. A lesson for all. We never think it can happen to us.

* goes to see if fire extinguisher is up to date :P

First, I am glad you didnt get hurt.It was the gas you were filling right? You cant take the extra 2 minutes to turn the machine off to fill the gas. Bet you will from now on. Good to hear you arent burnt. Common sense is either learned young the easy way or when you are older the hard way.

Why would I be refueling if the pump was running?

Yea the pw was off. It had run out of fuel as I was working. It was the heat of the exhaust after the spill that ignited it.

Goto Northern tools and buy a 5 gallon fuel tank.. get a hose and do away with the 1 gallon. Fuel it once a day and forget it. I did this with all of our washers for 1) I was worried about that exact thing happening and 2) the inconveniece of having to refuel all the time. Just mount it above the washer and let gravity do the rest.

gas tank from Northern Tool + Equipment

Goto Northern tools and buy a 5 gallon fuel tank.. get a hose and do away with the 1 gallon. Fuel it once a day and forget it. I did this with all of our washers for 1) I was worried about that exact thing happening and 2) the inconveniece of having to refuel all the time. Just mount it above the washer and let gravity do the rest.

gas tank from Northern Tool + Equipment

Thx for the link Greg.

I am already running a 4 gallon tank on top of the unit.

I just simply let it run out that day. I wasn't counting on filling up at all , but the project ran a little longer than expected. Thought I had enough fuel to get through it.

I will refuel with kid gloves from now on though, I promise that much.

Especially with the heat rising around here the way it has lately.