Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Motor cuts off?

I need some advise on my motor. I have a 20hp Honda twin motor, with a 5.6gpm general pump. It has about 250hrs on it. Today while pwashing, it cut off. I checked the oil and it has oil, and gas. If I let it cool for a few minutes it will start back up, and run for about 5 minutes and cut off. It won't start immediately after cutting off, it needs time to cool, and then will run for a few minutes and cut off again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance for your replies!!

Check the oil pressure switch if it is equipped. Sometimes they get gunked up and need to be changed.

Also, check your fuel tank to make sure there is no water in it. This can cause a stall similar to what you have described.

Rod!~

Does it happen regardless of the fuel level in the tank? I had that problem and it was when some floating debris got sucked into the fuel line. Machine off the item would go away from the pickup and then after restart it would come back. It then cracked the fuel filter since the filter was the weak link in a suction situation.

A dirty fuel filter will cause that too. Quick test, run the machine off of another fuel source ie a gas can and see if the problem is still there. If not then you know you need to clean the tank.