Sign in to follow this  
jordan

Pricing

Question

Hey

I just had another quick thought i had to get on the forum before i leave. I know with pricing there are alot of factors you need to consider while bidding. How dirty the surface is, demographic factors, what kind of surface it is, etc. I'm sure there are alot more. I'll be servicing residentual areas with homes ranging from the $300k-$800k range. Based on that what do you think is a fair price to ask per square foot from being not to dirty and an easy clean to lots of algae, mold, scum, dirt, rust and oil?

When doing a flat rate for driveways what do most people charge?

Thanks again!

24 answers to this question

Jordan you would be better served to state what size homes are they. Uptido houses or basic ranch or two story. Basic usually starts with 250.00 for 2000-2500 sq ft house 300 for 3K 350 for 3.5K ect,,,,Add on's = wax for another 25 to 50.00,,driveway for ?$?, gutters ?$? to add some F13. If it's high or dirty bump it 50.00 if it's high end people remember they don't want to hire the cheap guy,,they eyeball YOU and your pitch and composure. They want the higher end guy and have no problem dropping cash for it. But you better do a great job if you cater to these people. You'll have to figure out your demographic but dont low ball ANYTHING.

Hey

I just had another quick thought i had to get on the forum before i leave. I know with pricing there are alot of factors you need to consider while bidding. How dirty the surface is, demographic factors, what kind of surface it is, etc. I'm sure there are alot more. I'll be servicing residentual areas with homes ranging from the $300k-$800k range. Based on that what do you think is a fair price to ask per square foot from being not to dirty and an easy clean to lots of algae, mold, scum, dirt, rust and oil?

When doing a flat rate for driveways what do most people charge?

Thanks again!

Please complete your signature lines.

I'd like to know what others charge for this type of work also as I'm about to pas out my flyers for some work and would like to know what to charge people.

Please complete your signature lines.

Jordan & Eric,

Most are unwilling to post their pricing on an open public forum. I agree that it is foolish to do so. Everyone prices differently, and has different overhead. Charge whatever YOU need to make a reasonable profit margin.

Jordan & Eric,

Most are unwilling to post their pricing on an open public forum. I agree that it is foolish to do so. Everyone prices differently, and has different overhead. Charge whatever YOU need to make a reasonable profit margin.

Spoken as a true business man! Posting prices out in the open public forum, does give the person looking for a service a piece of mind on what they can expect, of course there is always exceptions.

Many of my clients thank me for having a basic estimate for services on my website. I landed many big business' accounts for it. Think about it before running your mouth.

Basically pricing is not an overall equation. No one should charge what another charges. If you don't know how to charge, educate yourselves. Learn what it cost to run your business. Don't make your pricing what anyone other needs.You have to know how much it cost to run your business.

Jordan & Eric,

Mike, as a veteran of these forums, is telling it like it is, most of us won't share pricing info.

If my prospects are shopping for price, I'm targeting the wrong demographic.

Think about it before running your mouth.

The only mouth running is yours. The reason I don't like to post pricing on THE FORUM is simply because rookie contractors like yourself can come in and get easy info on pricing, without taking overhead into consideration. If you took a minute to check things out before trying to slam me, you'd see that I have extensive pricing available on my website for my customers. I realize that it would involve some actual work to check it out, and that's probably beyond your abilities. I'll give you a pass this time.

My advice remains the same; charge whatever YOU need to make a profit, period.

The only mouth running is yours. The reason I don't like to post pricing on THE FORUM is simply because rookie contractors like yourself can come in and get easy info on pricing, without taking overhead into consideration. If you took a minute to check things out before trying to slam me, you'd see that I have extensive pricing available on my website for my customers. I realize that it would involve some actual work to check it out, and that's probably beyond your abilities. I'll give you a pass this time.

My advice remains the same; charge whatever YOU need to make a profit, period.

I am hurt by your words. I don't have time nor do I care about looking on your website, (because I guess) unlike you I work, I have clients, I actually do the work myself. But you seem to have a lot of time, do you actually do the work yourself? My abilities?? Please don't flatter yourself. Please don't give me a pass.

OK, have it your way, no pass.

You say that you're "hurt by my words"?? PLEEEEASE..... Now let's get one thing straight: You started the bad mouthing, not me. I posted a simple response to a question (6 months ago) but you felt it necessary to single out my response and tell me to quit running my mouth? Didn't think I'd respond? If you think for one minute that your comments won't be challenged or debated on a PROFESSIONAL contractor forum, you're sadly mistaken. I will suggest trying to keep it professional though.

You say that you're "hurt by my words"?? PLEEEEASE..... Now let's get one thing straight: You started the bad mouthing, not me. I posted a simple response to a question (6 months ago) but you felt it necessary to single out my response and tell me to quit running my mouth? Didn't think I'd respond? If you think for one minute that your comments won't be challenged or debated on a PROFESSIONAL contractor forum, you're sadly mistaken. I will suggest trying to keep it professional though.

Ball is in your court!

Bad mouth you?? You think that was bad mouthing you??! No I could do a lot better than that. I have seen a lot of your postings everywhere and you simply run your mouth and provide no substance.

I thought this is a forum for newbies in experience to get help not you bad disrespecting other contractors like you have an other postings.

If you have some much wisdom, use it. Your response to this guy was a kinda oh well contractors don't post their pricing. And yes that is true but give him advice as to what to think about when pricing other than, price so you can make a profit It was just a lame response. :)

Shawn, when you are in business for awhile you will understand what Mike is saying. There really is no other answer than "price what you need to stay in business." What you may be missing is that I could charge 35% of what you charge and still make a profit greater than or equal to yours. I have systems, trained employees, high flow machines, fine tuned chemical formulas, better volume, multiple crews to do the work and less advertising expense than a new company. Would I be hurting you or helping you to give you my prices?

Let me amend Mike's answer. Charge as much as you can. The future of your business depends upon it.

Edited by PressurePros

Shawn, when you are in business for awhile you will understand what Mike is saying. There really is no other answer than "price what you need to stay in business." What you may be missing is that I could charge 35% of what you charge and still make a profit greater than or equal to yours. I have systems, trained employees, high flow machines, fine tuned chemical formulas, better volume, multiple crews to do the work and less advertising expense than a new company. Would I be hurting you or helping you to give you my prices?

Let me amend Mike's answer. Charge as much as you can. The future of your business depends upon it.

Can you read? Did you see what I said?? The price part is not the issue! The issue is a forum where you can give ideas to help this guy.

2nd don't try to slam me on experience in business. Your systems and trained employees and formulas is cool, great happy for you, really. But you just proved my point, you have a system, maybe guy, you can tell this guy that he will need to established a system for example, the machines he will be using factor that into his job, etc.

It was just a lame response.

You crack me up...:lol:

The only thing lame is the new guy coming on this forum and expecting answers just handed over. Let me explain something to you, and any other new contractor to come in here. First, use the search function at the top of the site. Most of these questions have been answered dozens of times, and failing to use due diligence will get you nothing but grief from the folks who really do help. Second, you have posted 12 times, and of those 12, only 2 are giving an answer or advice to a question. So I'd suggest taking some of your own advice and if you have nothing meaningful to contribute, don't feel obligated to critique answers given by true professionals. Lastly, It appears that no one can answer a post sufficiently to your standards. Forgive me if i don't take "the adams approach"..........

Daaaaaaaaaang! Such Hostility. Ya'll remind me of. Well. Me.

Mike the comments about your site caused me to check it out. It's awsome you can get those prices. .20 for asphalt shingles is the best I can do most of the time. Nice site!

You crack me up...:lol:

The only thing lame is the new guy coming on this forum and expecting answers just handed over. Let me explain something to you, and any other new contractor to come in here. First, use the search function at the top of the site. Most of these questions have been answered dozens of times, and failing to use due diligence will get you nothing but grief from the folks who really do help. Second, you have posted 12 times, and of those 12, only 2 are giving an answer or advice to a question. So I'd suggest taking some of your own advice and if you have nothing meaningful to contribute, don't feel obligated to critique answers given by true professionals. Lastly, It appears that no one can answer a post sufficiently to your standards. Forgive me if i don't take "the adams approach"..........

Bravo. Well played. Man you are tough, like a big mi.... I don't think so.

Let me get this right, mikey. You said "simply because rookie contractors like yourself can come in and get easy info on pricing" Was this guy going to take some business away from you or something. Dude asked a simple question. Some of your "b. buddies" stated "I have systems, trained employees, high flow machines, fine tuned chemical formulas, better volume, multiple crews to do the work and less advertising expense than a new company"

Even that was more helpful than the foolish to post prices on the forum crap. Your full of crap, mike. Do you really have that much time to look at what I am posting.

Truly a stalker posing as a Pressure washing deck cleaning dude. True pros- you, maybe not so much.

Shawn, we're trying to help you. This forum has been here helping contractors for nearly a decade. Take the advice given to me as a newbie. Listen twice as often as you speak.

Insulting other members is a violation of TGS rules. If you are touting professionalism as being your "approach" there is no reason to abandon that because you are behind a computer screen. We are also human. If you plan on being a long term business owner you have to toughen your skin a bit.

JUST A REMINDER....

We are all professionals here and expected to act professional. Please remain respectful of others, and help them when you are able. Newbies do not always know how to search, you can politely explain that to them. The goal here is NOT to discourage others from posting, it is to encourage it. We are a networking site, let's all keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Beth

Shawn,

While you may feel you have something over others here what is trying to be relayed to you is that what YOU may charge is not what ANOTHER should charge.

Each business has its own unique operations and costs associated with it. The answer provided for the initial poster was that they should learn how to price instead of trying to find out what others are charging and take the easy road and not learn a thing.

Now, we realize you are new to the forums and there are rules associated with it. Your posts have been reported to us for bashing another member and after my review I find the reports accurate.

Stop. Back away from the keyboard and conduct yourself like you are in front of your customer when you next touch the keys to participate in this forum.

Keep in mind your information is SEO'd and anything your say in an open forum can be searched on the internet and read by your prospective customers.

Now, for the others who wanted information on pricing, here is a link to this item which has been discussed before and can easily be found by using the search feature which is free and available for all members.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/13461-hour-foot.html

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/16842-pricing-teak-furniture.html

...and to make it easier in the future for others to find it, I pulled both articles into 1 thread and stickied them in the Business section of the forum.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/business-topics-tips/18253-building-your-own-price.html#post167710

Rod!~

Mike the comments about your site caused me to check it out. It's awsome you can get those prices. .20 for asphalt shingles is the best I can do most of the time. Nice site!

Andy, thanks. I have to admit, the market is ripe up here for roof cleaning. No one really does it (maybe 4-5 contractors that I know of) as a service. The insurance adjusters up here are very willing to just re-roof. Needless to say roofing contractors make bank. People in the north are unaware of the idea of roof cleaning, but I'm working on changing that. Very little competition equals higher prices (for the time being). Also, we don't pursue roofs like we do decks.

My unrequested .02

How can anyone in middle of...(your neck of the woods)..... think that they can charge what is requiried in NYC, or downtown overpriced ...., when u live in rural....

The HARDEST thing in pricing is trying to determine what the market will bear. Charge to much, and you miss the job. Don't charge enough and u left money on the table. It quite frankly is "THE" magical question. I can charge more for this than u can, and u get WHAT for doing that.???

Am I rambling about nothing. YA. Maybe. Because if I knew how much to charge for each and every job, I'd be a consultant, take 10% of everything and mail it in from Hawaii.

Asking vague questions about pricing might help. If you were putting a nationwide blanket policie together.

If you want to own a business.

The golden 5

1.) quote a price

2.) get the job done

3.) in the time you set forth

4.) at a proffit

5.) and "collect the money""on time"

If you aren't making enough money, you are either taking longer than you calculated,

OR

you aren't charging enough.

Would I love to know what my competetors are charging so I can go in .5-2.5% cheaper. Sure.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Don't spend all your time working on what they are doing.

Spend your time working on the golden 5, I may or may not have the same overhead. Matter of fact. I'm so selfish, I'm "ONLY" worried about making the golden 5.

How can I get more business?????????????????????????

THAT is the true question.

At that point. I have no competition, that is worth concerning myself with.

Edited by Richard