Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Website Theft

Hey I stumbled across a company in Cinci Ohio that has stolen a good chunk of content from my website.

My site has been up for about 2.5 years with the following text on my about us page:

About Us

I used CopyScape and found this guy here:

.::. Deck Works USA .::.

I spoke with the owner who said he would change it a while back, and I followed up with an email to the owner and his web design company with still no changes. What pisses me off is that he took it word for word and simply changed the company name and even replaced my name with his

What kind of options do I have in trying to get him to remove the content? Other than being highly dishonest I don't know if there is anything being broken here. Anyone have problems with web content or photo theft in the past? What'd you do?

Edited by bigchaz

Hey I stumbled across a company in Cinci Ohio that has stolen a good chunk of content from my website.

My site has been up for about 2.5 years with the following text on my about us page:

About Us

I spoke with the owner who said he would change it a while back, and I followed up with an email to the owner and his web design company with still no changes. What pisses me off is that he took it word for word and simply changed the company name and even replaced my name with his

What kind of options do I have in trying to get him to remove the content? Other than being highly dishonest I don't know if there is anything being broken here. Anyone have problems with web content or photo theft in the past? What'd you do?

Call them and ask them to remove it. That's what I do.

If you do not have a statement at the bottom of your site regarding use of the site contents, now would be a good time to add one.

Beth

From my understanding if he re-worded it and its still getting the same message across theres not much you can do without it getting very expensive. as long as he re-worded its not the same. someone stole some pics from another bizz. i used to own. and used them on there website with the wordding a lil diff. and was making money off of them on ebay and i called him he said that he came up with the wording and he crafted the object him self but you could see my signature on the wood. lawyer said there was nothing i could do but get him to remove the pics. he photo shoped them and erased my signature. he was legal. good luck

About Us

My advice ?

Forget about it :(

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

Many roof cleaning websites have borrowed bit and pieces of my text.

As long as they are not Local, what are ya gonna do ?

SUE em ?

LOL, you can spend ZILLIONS, and what are ya gonna get but Lawyer Bills ?

It shows a dishonest, cheating, lazy business person. They deserve to be held to the same laws that I abide by. Its my property and it was stolen. If someone walked off with your pressure washer you would call the cops and have them arrested. No difference here, just intellectual property.

The text and keywords on my site are responsible for probably 50% of my leads which is infinitely more valuable than a piece of equipment.

It shows a dishonest, cheating, lazy business person. They deserve to be held to the same laws that I abide by. Its my property and it was stolen. If someone walked off with your pressure washer you would call the cops and have them arrested. No difference here, just intellectual property.

The text and keywords on my site are responsible for probably 50% of my leads which is infinitely more valuable than a piece of equipment.

BEST thing you can do is write GOOGLE an email !!!

Maybe they will throw him OUT of searches ?

I have the same issue. A guy in south carolina stole my brothers wholes site but took it down when confronted. He then stole my entire site word for word and has not responded to my requests to get it down. He then sent me emails almost laughing in my face. He took it to a new level today when he made a bogus review on a merchant circle blog. Guy is a total loser. Pioneerpressurewashingsc.com. I guess some people like to take the short cut. I'm sure thats how he runs all aspects of his business.

I'll bet the bus. owner doesnt have a clue. I'll lay odds that the web designer stole the mat. & that the owner thought they did a fantastic job.

About Us

Contact the company that hosts his website, 99 times out of 100 they take his website down if it has stolen material on it. I have had this issue before with designing websites and logo's.

I ran a whois of the domain name and it looks like he has protected his personal identity. However, his the company that hosts his website has their contact information.

I would also in the future embed your images in a flash movie, as most casual users will not know how to permanently save the flash movie or extract an image from it.

You can also "watermark" your images, just don't be too obtrusive about it, potential customers and viewers like myself get turned off by big bold watermark on images ;)

If they guy isn't local - I don't know why folks get so upset - that said, contact google - they'll throw him in google 'hell'. And that's worth more than all the litigation in the world - ultimately we are abiding by Google laws now - they rule. Frankly I would love if my competition would copy me - because into Google hell they would go, and that would get rid of my competition's ability to advertize online.

I noticed pictures on Pioneerpressurewashingsc.com that are from other washers sites as well. One that stuck out is in his fleetwash page. A picture is from BioCleans site. Blaine are you aware of this?

I wasn't but I am now. This isn't the first time this has happened either. It makes me wonder if any of his photos are his own. Usually it is a sign of a non-creative mind taking shortcuts because they can't think of something on their own that sets their business or website apart. I can understand that verbage will probably be similar from site-to-site (how many ways can you say "We wash trucks!")as long as you can back up what you claim, but stealing someone elses photos makes me think that they can't do the job correctly so they'd rather not take pictures of their crappy job to place on their website. Thanks guys for the heads up! I might have to send one of our New York customers to SC to break his legs! ;-) After all, you don't mess with the family!!

Thanks guys for the heads up! I might have to send one of our New York customers to SC to break his legs! ;-) After all, you don't mess with the family!!

Shoot I am use to taking care of low life with my day job... if you cover jet ticket or gas expense ill take care of the leg breaking! Need a vacation to warmer climate anyways ;)

Shoot I am use to taking care of low life with my day job... if you cover jet ticket or gas expense ill take care of the leg breaking! Need a vacation to warmer climate anyways ;)

Sounds like a plan! Let's wait until it gets colder out and then we can go down there and take care of business!!

http://www.tommyspressurewashing.com/home.html

Someone very kindly let me know today about these being stolen from our site....let's see how fast he removes them. For his sake, it better be TODAY!!!!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR! :lgangry:

Beth

Edited by Beth n Rod
sp

http://www.tommyspressurewashing.com/home.html

Someone very kindly let me know today about these being stolen from our site....let's see how fast he removes them. For his sake, it better be TODAY!!!!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRR! :lgangry:

Beth

They do it to us all the time, even worse! We have one local clown placing dead plants on his website, then naming whatever company he is mad at that Day as the culprit! Yes, we could sue him, but he lives in a weekly trailer park. We also saw him on America's Most Wanted, so it is doubtful he will obey a cease and desist. I don't publish his web site, because it gets him hits, and a valuable link!

We've found nearly identical wording from some of our printed material on another's website. Chalk it up to too much sharing on our part. Usually when we find our photos, an email is sufficient for removal.

At the end of the day, there are only so many ways to talk about what you do....there's going to be overlap.