Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Blown Seal On Cox Reel

Just the other day I had finished power washing a huge home. I laid the gun down on the ground to go around to the machine on my trailer and cut it off. Just seconds after I cut the power washer off I heard a pop sort of like a weak firecracker.

Upon inspection of my gear I find that the seal on the 90 degree swivel inlet of my Cox Reel (model 117-250) had blown. I guess it's an O ring that blew. My PW'ing machine is a 4gpm 4,000 psi and the Cox Reel is rated at 4,000 psi. I was surprised that this happend but it did. The machine was cut off but there was pressure trapped in the hose. Maybe if I would've had the gun in my hand and could've purged the hose to let out the trapped pressure this would not have happened.

So I'm thinking that somehow the machine built up pressure more than 4,000 psi causing the reel inlet swivel to blow the O ring, or the O ring was just weak.

Is this a common occurance? Can the O ring be replaced or does the swivel inlet have to be rebuilt. I can't find the literature about the Cox Reel so I'm at a loss as to how to fix the blown seal or O ring on the swivel inlet.

Any help or advice apprecitated. By the way, this Cox Reel is less than 2 months old and not used that much.

Rick,

Good observation there about building up extra high pressure.

I would replace the swivel and check your pump to see if any of the check valves are stuck. You will need a 1-1/16" box end wrench to pop the caps off.

Sometimes it can be caused by debris or blown seals. Good time to check.

Rod!~

Rick,

Good observation there about building up extra high pressure.

I would replace the swivel and check your pump to see if any of the check valves are stuck. You will need a 1-1/16" box end wrench to pop the caps off.

Sometimes it can be caused by debris or blown seals. Good time to check.

Rod!~

My power washer is brand new. A "Pressure Pro" 13 Honda, 4 gpm, 4,000 psi with General pump. This was the very first day I used it. Bob at Pressure Tek said everything was set at the factory and ready to go. I have a brand new tank, tubing and plumbing, etc. and have a water filter between the tank and the pump inlet.

Do you think the checkvalves would be sticking on a new machine like this?

Sounds like a weak o-ring in the swivel.

I would get the Super Swivel, the suppliers listed can get that for you, they hold up better in the long run and can be rebuilt also.

Not the first time I have heard about a problem with that brand when new or a couple months old.

I bought some of the immitation rapid reels that you find for sale very cheap, the o-ring blew out within the first month so I just put a plug on the end of the hose and a coupler on the end of the jumper to the hose reel.

This way you connect when ready to run and disconnect after de-pressuring the line and ready to roll up. Very handy on some large jobs where I just drop the hose there to go refill with water (large job where no water within a mile or more) or need to move the trailer instead of rolling up 200' each time and then unrolling when ready to go again.

I will be ordering the Super Swivel for this hose reel and will still use the plug/coupler so even though I can roll/unroll with the hose connected I will have the ability to disconnect for those certain jobs again which helps a lot and makes the job a lot faster.

It's a shame that you pay for a brand new Cox Reel (model 117-250) and the O ring blows the second time the reel is used. As I already said, this was the first time the new power washer was used but I had used the Cox reel once before with my other machine.

I'll see if I can get the Super Swivel from Bob @ Pressure Tek and hope for the best.

Thanks for the info guys!

I have the same reel and had had that happen a few times. For me it was just worn seal. I have noticed it happened to me once when I turned machine on first and then unravelled the hose. Now I dont spin the reel when the machine is on and it has not had a problem.

I have the same reel and had had that happen a few times. For me it was just worn seal. I have noticed it happened to me once when I turned machine on first and then unravelled the hose. Now I dont spin the reel when the machine is on and it has not had a problem.

Well, it looks like this is a common thing with Cox Reels. I think I'll order that Super Swivel that Christopher mentioned.

I don't want to rebuild the swivel to be the same exact P.O.S. swivel that blew out on me the 2nd time it was ever used. No wonder folks don't have a lot of good things to say about Cox Reels.

I have two other Cox reels for my pure water/water fed pole window cleanining system and haven't had trouble so far but there's no pressure involved in that system.

Anyone know for sure that the Super Swivel is better than the regular swivel on the Cox Reel. Is the O ring stronger?

There are a lot of guys out there doing more flatwork in a week than a lot of us do in a month using those super swivels.

I think that it is just a better quality product.

Do you think the checkvalves would be sticking on a new machine like this?

Sometimes shavings or other debris can be overlooked. It is rare but not out of the question. I would check your gauge if you have one installed or pick one up and test the unit. Assemble it with QC's so you can put it on just before the gun. It also comes in handy to test tip pressures.

Rod!~

O rings are cheap, just replace it and see what happens, vs changing anything else. The local hydraulic store should have them in stock as well.

Maybe a new reel but who know how long it was on the shelf prior to purchase. i am not a Cox reel fan mysef, but I would not hang them for an o-ring failure.