Sign in to follow this  
zapp

oxalic reclaim

Question

I have a commercial job to bid cedar shake siding with cedar shake roof (dutch colonial style over a (covered ) brick walkway . concrete and pavement every where- no grassy surfaces . the customer wants it stripped and brightened , it has a old coat of semi trans oil , now I know I have to reclaim , what is the proper way to do this ?? cover storm drain , recover water ,filter through what kind of filter ?? I have acess to a sanitary sewer dump drain where a friend dumps his camper waste ?? is this workable ?? Thanks for the help Im a newbie , at reclaim and want to do it right . Ive posted this on other boards lots of looks with only one answer .Someone must of run into this sort of thing .

7 answers to this question

Talk with Larry Hinkley at Delco. They have filter booms and drain dams for this purpose and the answers to your questions.

Their ad is at the top of the forum, click it for more information.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod

Talk with Larry Hinkley at Delco. They have filter booms and drain dams for this purpose and the answers to your questions.

Their ad is at the top of the forum, click it for more information.

Rod!~

Thanks Rod I sent Larry a e-mail , I can't understand why Ive had over 54 views on another board but one reply , are contractors not sure of the right answer ? or just don't care ? Either way we need to get educated on this reclaim stuff , that storm drain dumps into a river with trophy trout fishing , I don't want to be eating a oxalic trout do any of you ??

Lots of variables but picking up water at the lowest point before drain contact and then transferring to a legitimate place is the basic.

Some areas do not want that water in the sanitary sewer system anymore than they want it in the local lake.

So after you pick up the water, where can you legally get rid of it the quickest? Check with the local water plant and go from there.

Thanks Rod I sent Larry a e-mail , I can't understand why Ive had over 54 views on another board but one reply , are contractors not sure of the right answer ? or just don't care ? Either way we need to get educated on this reclaim stuff , that storm drain dumps into a river with trophy trout fishing , I don't want to be eating a oxalic trout do any of you ??

..or it could be others just like you who have the same question and want to know what the answer is. One can never know and it doesn't matter the views one gets but the responses that count.

Members have learned to answer only when they are confident they have a good solution. Even then, no one is obligated to answer, remember, this is all voluntary.

As far as what ends up in the drains is up to chemical reaction and/or what becomes of the mixture. Take for example, sodium hydroxide and oxalic acid, combined they form a salt and are not longer the reactive components they once were.

Now, don't take that in any way as an excuse that it is okay to let that run down a drain or that I would advocate it either. But, it is important that you understand the by-products of your process.

Your concern about what enters the drains is a good start to increasing your knowledge about chemicals you will use, the surfaces they will be used on and how to work safely in our environment without causing pollution as a result.

If you need further assistance on the chemical aspects, there is a link in the library here on TGS to a chemical reactivity worksheet that will help you to anticipate what will become of a vast library of chemicals that we normally use and their combinations outcome...good bad or indifferent.

Rod!~

..or it could be others just like you who have the same question and want to know what the answer is. One can never know and it doesn't matter the views one gets but the responses that count.

Members have learned to answer only when they are confident they have a good solution. Even then, no one is obligated to answer, remember, this is all voluntary.

As far as what ends up in the drains is up to chemical reaction and/or what becomes of the mixture. Take for example, sodium hydroxide and oxalic acid, combined they form a salt and are not longer the reactive components they once were.

Now, don't take that in any way as an excuse that it is okay to let that run down a drain or that I would advocate it either. But, it is important that you understand the by-products of your process.

Your concern about what enters the drains is a good start to increasing your knowledge about chemicals you will use, the surfaces they will be used on and how to work safely in our environment without causing pollution as a result.

If you need further assistance on the chemical aspects, there is a link in the library here on TGS to a chemical reactivity worksheet that will help you to anticipate what will become of a vast library of chemicals that we normally use and their combinations outcome...good bad or indifferent.

Rod!~

Rod thanks for the Info on the library and thank you Larry for the reclain info .