Sign in to follow this  
RChris57

Flatwork around new landscaping, preventative measures.

Question

We want to cold call on a house that has just spent a lot of money on new landscaping. Sod laid, new plants. House has a circular driveway that all the new sod butts up to. The flatwork slopes downward to the new sod, so alot of water will be running off into new sod and plantings. Driveway is in need of pressure washing...badly.

We have hot water, and generally use a concrete solution on our flatwork. Also use a Big Boy. I hate to admit, but I don't know if bleach is in that solution, I will have to ask the guys at the place where we get it...(we mostly do commercial accts)

I want to approach them quickly to get the job, but also want to be informed when I speak to the clients. Should there be time frame where this should not be done around newly planted sod? Can the chemical run off cause damage to the newly laid sod?

We have not invested yet in any water dams/berms. But I am thinking this would be the best way to divert water chemicals from entering the newly landscaped areas.

Any thoughts...advice?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Berry-

I am a young business and don't have all the answers or alot of pw experiance to draw from but I'd like to contribute here were I can seeing as I use these forums for such valuable information. Before I started my business I managed a large landscaping company here for about 6 years and can tell you about chemical burn. Daming as you said is probably the best way to divert and prevent damage. The turf is currently in a state of stress and will be even more susceptible to more damage now until the root system begins to drive into the ground, usually 2-3 weeks with the correct mtn practices by the home owner. Most cleaners have the potential to burn a lawn under normal circumstances and not do any permanent damage unless you were to apply it pure or very strong. That being said I would still approach the job now, schedule it for about 2 weeks and try and divert. by bringing up the issue with the beautifull landscaping and how crumby the driveway looks is a good way to sell yourself and by bringing up waiting until the new sod is more tolerable (it will never be resistant) it shows them you truly care about their project. Also turn on the irrigation system before and after to wash any chemical though. hopfully someone else can chime in on the power washing end of it and what chemicals may reduce the risk.

good luck

Nate

Is there a reason that you even have to use any chemicals? If it's just concrete, and we're talking about the usual dirt, mold and grime...wouldn't just plain water take care of it. We maintain alot of concrete flat work here in Ohio, and we usually only have to use water and a surface cleaner. We won't even have to heat it normally. Now if there is a petroleum based product or rust stains, etc. then we're talking about a little different approach, but for the plain old dirt and grunge...water should take care of it.

Maybe I can learn something here.