Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

What is the biggest challenge to your business right now?

Hey folks, I need to hear from you. It never hurts to get a little extra FREE publicity for your business, and here is your chance. I'm working on another article for Cleaner Times magazine, and I need your help. If you would be interested in being interviewed, well here's your shot! Post away!

What can you do or did you do to overcome that challenge?

Was your effort successful and why or why not?

If the challenge is beyond your control what are you doing to try to manage your business in spite of it?

Where is your business right now compared to where you thought it might be at the beginning of the year?

Where do you see your business in the next 12 months based upon your specific area?

Beth :cup:

Rainy, wet weather for several weeks.

Not much. We have worked Saturdays and Sundays if possible, and put in longer hours when wood is dry enough to stain. Alternatives involve moving to the Arizona desert or shooting the weatherman.

Somewhat successful. We have stained a lot of sq. footage when possible. I do not own a gun, and Arizona does not have an ocean.

If the challenge is beyond your control what are you doing to try to manage your business in spite of it?

Constant contact with my customers and a barrage of rescheduling emails. Most customers understand if you explain scheduling around wet weather during the initial estimate. They REALLY appreciate being kept up to date on scheduling.

Where is your business right now compared to where you thought it might be at the beginning of the year?

For the 2nd year in a row, it has been a surprise. The volume of work is again up, and the quality of our customers and average job revenue has increased.

Certainly did not foresee the inability to complete jobs due to such wet weather.

Where do you see your business in the next 12 months based upon your specific area?

With the economy in the pits and discretionary spending falling, logically one would assume future tough times. This has not happened here in central NJ to my business. As things turned sour 24 months ago, our business increased substantially. So I would have to predict that this contrary trend will continue.

Being quoted in a national industry publication like Cleaner Times is a good thing! It's good PR for your biz. I encourage all of you to participate and get your company name out there in this article!

Beth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth n Rod viewpost.gif

Weather - North Carolina seems to be either exceptionally dry or extremely wet. A happy medium of several dry days with a needed bout of rain would be very helpful in keeping on schedule!

Quote:

As the saying goes, "Make hay while the sun shines." We have also adjusted our work hours and days to fit with the appropriate weather conditions. Gone are the 8-4 M-F work times!

We have also rescheduled customer meetings - the rain has definitely allowed for longer and more effective consultations when discussing projects.

Quote:

"You can't fight Mother Nature!" - We have learned to work with the weather as best we can.

Quote:

Fortunately with our clients, the understanding that rain prohibits staining or sealing their project is always there. We have also explored a variety of add-ons to our business, just as we did when we had NO water instead of an over-abundance.

Quote:

We're a bit behind from where we'd like to be but not disappointed in the new type of customers we are finding this year. Also stepping up the continued contact with our existing customer base.

Quote:

With all of the additional services we are providing, our existing business plan is changing and evolving. The economy is allowing us to customize how we want to and are doing business. We are optimistic about where we will be at the beginning of next season!

I would LOVE to hear from newbies as well as the vets....

If you don't want to post, email me: beth@seedirtrun.com

Every business faces challenges regardless of how long they have been in business. And everyone could use some good publicity. It costs you nothing except the time it takes to answer a few questions.

Beth

competing against the competition and so many new startups.

I upped my appearance in little things that go a long way.

It is very successful. The other day I was doing an estimate for a three story house on the water. They had one guy come out and he charged $99, another guy charged $350. I charged $650 and landed the job right then and there. The home owner told my I was the most proffessional looking that came out. This happens a lot now. Appearance sold and they were completely satisfied with the work I did.

Appearance is under everyones control and it speak volumes of the work you do, good or bad.

Its right where I wanted it but did not expect it to happen. God has blessed my business this year in very peculiar ways.

Making its way to being one of the top pressure washing companies in my area.

Been a while since I've been on here,

Dane

Unsure of the future costs associated with the industry. We are growing but with commercial credit literally stopped we must pay as we go for new equipment and vehicles which makes it a exercise in planning. Aslo the price of chemicals has gone up as well as transportation ( gas and vehicles in general) and we will not absorb any more of the costs, the margin of profit is too small to allow it.

We plan large purchases in advance and have done gradual purchases. One area we have greatly benifited from is purchasing equipment with low hours as opposed to new rquipment. The cost savings were over 40% and the name brand equipment has held up with no problems. With a high turn over in this industry right now there are excellent deals to be had on equipment without the new and dealer mark ups.

So far we have been sucessfull with our efforts to grow but it all goes back to planning out EXACTLY what you want and going from there in a systematic way.

Nothing is out of reach, never quit and never give up.

We are growing not as much as we would like but in these times we are blessed to be on a upswing in buisness.

Staying a steady course of growth.

I am really amazed at the lack of participation here! This is where we come to grow & learn - how much better can we do than to all present our challenges and solutions! What another extraordinary avenue to help each other AND get publicity! There is not a single business person on this forum who doesn't wake up to this question every day!!!

C'mon folks - get in the picture!

Hey folks, I need to hear from you. It never hurts to get a little extra FREE publicity for your business, and here is your chance. I'm working on another article for Cleaner Times magazine, and I need your help. If you would be interested in being interviewed, well here's your shot! Post away!

The commercial real estate market in my area is averaging 40 to 50% vacancy rates, due to the economic downturn. Thus Property Managers do not have the money to spend on scheduled maintenance.

In some cases, I have eliminated my initial cleaning rate, and offer quaterly service rates.

It has secured me enough work to stay afloat.

As stated above, my profit margin has suffered some, but better to make less per job than to have no jobs at all.

Exactly where I expected, maybe 20% better.

If the volume of contracts continues at the same pace I have experience since the first of this year, 2010 should see an increase of business by 40%.

1.What is the biggest challenge to your business right now?

Finding the right employees.

2.What can you do or did you do to over come that challenge

I don't think that it ever ends. You either continuously move on or become stagnant.

3.Was your effort successful and why or why not?

I'm still in business, still growing at a satisfactory rate, so YES

4. If the challenge is beyond your control what are you doing to try to manage your business in spite of it?

Adapt, adapt, adapt. If it was easy, everyone would do it, and then it wouldn't as rewarding.

5.Where is your business right now compared to where you thought it might be at the beginning of the year?

I was fairly nervous (not like me). I'm close to double last year at this point.

6.Where do you see your business in the next 12 months based upon your specific area?

I intend on at least double again. While some of my competitors are standing around on their pity box, preaching how things are, I'm shaking trees and stealing their business.

I'm really just trying to help them prove how bad there business is.

Building a reputation to get the name out.

I have tried to ramp up the level of quality. My business and life is based on my faith and have always used a verse in the bible to maintain the level of quality that I offer. The text is in the New Testament book of Colossians (3:23) "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" and this year I have really tried to put legs on that. My goal now for every job and customer is to "Give more than expected and Do more than I charge for". I looked at a Job today that I did last spring and can see a significant difference my quality now over last year.

This has helped my referrals and word and I have stayed 4-6 weeks booked. So continually looking for ways to do a better job more so than ever before is key.

On target

Possibility of expanding or spinning off a wood restoration service for next year or in 12-24 months. Hiring and training permanent staff.

What is the biggest challenge to your business right now?Keeping my guys working 6 day work weeks all thru-out the season here which is in the range of 8 months.

What can you do or did you do to overcome that challenge? Spend more money marketing my company and spending this extra money wisely.

Was your effort successful and why or why not?So far it has but for every dollar spent advertising where getting a lessor return for the buck...but where spending more money here so where making more money then we have in the past. This is the year of the more you spend and spend wisely the more you can make in these tough times.

If the challenge is beyond your control what are you doing to try to manage your business in spite of it?I haven't ran out of Money yet even though we came close a couple of times so so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I pound the pavement and phones to generate more work.

Where is your business right now compared to where you thought it might be at the beginning of the year?Where doing better then I expected with so many people being unemployed here. I guess our advertising is hitting those areas where people want to protect there most valued investment which is there homes and they probably most want to enjoy there homes more this year then in the past since some do not have the funds to do those elaborate vacations anymore.

Where do you see your business in the next 12 months based upon your specific area?Still in business by then for our 15th year and being a little smarter and maybe have a little more $$$$ in our business account..and maybe be able to take a nice winter vacation again like we have done in the past.......

Thats the skinny for me above.

Edited by John T

There are ALWAYS going to be challenges EVERYDAY when owning your own business but the biggest challenge I'm finding right now is to keep the phone ringing. The economy has not only put some folks on a tighter budget but it has put many out of work which has led to an increase of some people thinking that Power Washing is quick easy money to help feed their family's thus leading to more competition from many of whom have never used a Power Washer in there lives. This, coupled with not only the lack of knowledge and lack of experience has also led to, you guessed it, lowballing on Roof Cleaning and Power Washing in Florida making it difficult to maintain prices that are needed to sustain a business. The only upside to this at the moment is that after realizing their prices were not going to keep them in business, many have dropped out of site.

To overcome some of these challenges I began spending much more time with potential customers than usual trying to educate them on our methods of Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning techniques and doing what I could to explain to them the benefits of Quality verses Cheap. I also have dropped much of my local paper advertising. Many of the new customer leads were becoming fewer and fewer through this form of advertising and mostly brought out so called " Shoppers " rather than customers looking to get a quality job and who were willing to pay for it. This action in turn has also saved me at least on average $580.00 per month. I now spend a lot more time networking with other local business' such as, Painting Companies, Pool Companies, Realtors etc...which has led to an increase of quality leads. I've boosted up my SEO for my website and launched many other forms of FREE Internet advertising which is out there and available for business'. To me the name of the game is " Getting In Front of the Customer and getting them to call me".

I do believe that my methods have been very successful. Almost 70% of all the business I receive is now from the Internet. The other 30% comes from repeat customers and referrals and contractor networking leads. Doing away with local paper advertising has allowed me to use more of my hard earned dollars for upgrades to equipment making it easier to perform my jobs more efficiently. I also believe that my efforts have enabled me to stay far out in front of most of the competition in my area leading to more sales.

Dealing with challenges beyond my control only means that I have to work harder at staying afloat. More Networking with local contractors, stopping by and introducing myself and my business to other local business', asking for referrals from existing customers and continuing to stay in contact with potential and previous customers are just a few of the ways I've learned to manage. Being in business for yourself is always going to be tough and will present challenges and at times will make it seem like there is a never ending mountain in front of you to overcome, keeping you from being a success. It's up to each and everyone of us as business owners to do our very best and to climb that mountain as best we can.

Actually we are doing much better than expected. This year I began selling my service based more on quality than quantity and increased my prices dramatically. While I may have lost a few jobs here and there the financial outlook for my business looks to be heading in the upwards direction. Much of this success is due in part to the information and education I have gotten on these Forum Boards. To be quite honest with you, if it were not for some of this information I"m not sure where my business would be today or if I would even still have one and for this I owe a HUGE Thank You to so many of the professionals who have shared on these Forum boards.

To be honest, I try not to look too far ahead but instead try to focus more on the day to day and week to week operations of my business. In doing so I believe that my business will hopefully stay on track and continue to improve. It is much easier to push a car up a hill if you stay behind it and keep pushing rather than worrying about running up front and wondering how much farther you have to go to get to the top. BUT, if I had to answer, I'd say that we are going to be able survive and overcome any obstacles and God willing we WILL still be here Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning next year and the year after that.

The slow down of this economy, and companies cutting back on service.

Trying to work close with existing P/M companies, and asking for work. Got rid of some dead weight that was dragging their feet on paying.

To early to tell, and P/M are calling but seems as if everyone is cutting back, our S/C went from 4 times a year to 1 or 2 times a year.

I hate to keep repeating myself but as far as my business is concerned the economy has had a big effect on us. Honestly i dont think there is anyone who's not feeling it. What i have done was put myself out there again face to face doing Demo's. I have not had to do this in 15 yrs, but it's what always worked for me.

I am off by 30% but that is my doing, i dropped a large account after 12 yrs of service because i just could not keep going backwards in price for them everytime there was a contract due.

Here in FL it will be tough to recoupe but all you can do is move forward, my business has brought me to multiple states thru-out the east coast of the U.S. from Mass to FL and out to Miss, I tried to keep it local the last few years, but if things dont change i may have to move closer to the work up north or Retire and Play Poker!!

Hope that helps out, we have been doing this alot of years but never seen it this bad.

Getting my name out there and dealing with the bad weather.

To get my name out there I created a website. TGS really helped me with this because not only was I able to create the website with sufficient information but I also learned how search engine optimization was really a necessity for people to find my website on the web. Most of my customers now come from my website.

As far as the weather goes, I cannot control that so I do my best to schedule my customers around the bad weather. The days it is raining I make sure that I am caught up on everything else so that when the weather is nice I can go out right away and do the jobs.

Yes, I have been successful because my website has pulled in a good amount of jobs. Staying connected with my customers lets them know that I have not forgotten them and I get to them asap, weather permitting.

Since the weather has been so bad when I have the time off I make sure that all of my chemicals are caught up and my paperwork is finished. I make sure that I am set to go the moment a customer contacts me for an estimate.

My business is actually a little ahead of schedule from when I started out. This is my first year and I have already done more jobs than I thought when I originally started. TGS has also helped me a lot out in figuring a good house wash. I feel as though I have been in the business longer than I actually have because of being on TGS a lot.

I see my business expanding to almost double by this time next year. I am hoping to have more work that I can put up with. My goal is always to do my best and being the best pressure washing company in my area is what I have in mind.

What is the biggest challenge to your business right now? Keeping up with work load and not getting behind schedule

What can you do or did you do to overcome that challenge? Pay more overtime and stretch M-F days to 11 hours and Sat to 10 hours

Was your effort successful and why or why not? Guys are burnt out and don't care about the money as much as you would think.

If the challenge is beyond your control what are you doing to try to manage your business in spite of it? Working harder

Where is your business right now compared to where you thought it might be at the beginning of the year? On par

Where do you see your business in the next 12 months based upon your specific area? Branching into Virginia and concentrating more on NC/TN

One thing I would like to do is finish getting to the point where I don't have to market/advertise anymore. I shut down the yellow pages ad a few years ago and quit all printed advertising.

The economy has our customers pinching pennies and shopping around more. Price really matters now more than ever, but we can't always be the cheapest so.....

Bought "sales for dummies" cd and worked to improved lines of communication between myself and my co-workers.

Yes...I have learned to explain to my customers how my company adds value which is more important than just having the cheapest price.

Take it one customer at a time instead of looking at it in terms of days, weeks or months.

On track, but just barely. I was pretty ambitious!

Continuing to grow as the smaller and poorly managed companies close shop.

Daniel Simmons

Pressure Washing America, LLC

Pressure Washing Houston

I'll be submitting the article this week, and wanted to thank you all for your participation. Once I know what issue it will be in I'll update the thread so you will know when you should look for it. Hope you all enjoy it!

Beth

I'll be submitting the article this week, and wanted to thank you all for your participation. Once I know what issue it will be in I'll update the thread so you will know when you should look for it. Hope you all enjoy it!

Beth

WIll it make sept deadline? I know it was 31st, I wanted Florida's to make it and its going to be in oct issue.

i believe its finding training and keeping employees. even though we are small we could benifit from having one guy who would do a good job and who cares about the client.

I have tryed everything but they never stay. To hot cold wet late hard ect

I just go out and do my best for the customer.

I would say not successful and i have posted wanted ads in the paper, Craigs List and even got a banner. I think people dont want to work at this type of job unless they own it.

Provide the best service i can offer.

We have lost some accounts due to what I call "management changes".

Someones brother in law wants to powerwash then he gets the job no matter how good you are. This is unfortunate but it happens. I have had some loss due to closings.

Well I could say that due to the increasing rules and citys requiring more "GREEN" cleaning practices, you will see more fly by nights unable to due business in large areas like DFW.

So by having the ability to be green, this will cut down on the "buy today wash tonight" guy.

post-5432-13777225756_thumb.gif

post-5432-137772257564_thumb.jpg