Sign in to follow this  
bigchaz

Problem! Window cleaning...

Question

I stripped a deck and staining it today homeowner noticed pieces of stuff all along the windows on the back of the house

I've tried washing with windex and invisible glass but it won't come off

Looks almost like it might be miniscule pieces of old stain or maybe wood fibers.

I've never had this problem before so I'm worried maybe I etched the windows? I'd like to give it one more go myself before hiring a window company since the homeowner isn't too happy

Whats the best way to try and clean these off?

20 answers to this question

William: What soft scrub product should I use? There's tons of them. Do they all have bleach? I don't want anything getting on the deck.

My first truck my dad cosigned so it worked out alright. Now I got no cosigner so interest is crap and banks wont do used loans. So I leased my dads 02 dakota until I can buy a truck with cash. May just wait until next season

Charlie,

Whenever you are doing a stripping or even a "hard" percarb cleaning, wood fiber and old stain is going to get on windows, glass doors, and siding. Just tell your guys to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. A dual lance comes in handy.

William: What soft scrub product should I use? There's tons of them. Do they all have bleach? I don't want anything getting on the deck.

My first truck my dad cosigned so it worked out alright. Now I got no cosigner so interest is crap and banks wont do used loans. So I leased my dads 02 dakota until I can buy a truck with cash. May just wait until next season

Soft Scrub® with Baking Soda Cleanser

Just squirt a dab on a sponge, wet the window and rub lightly. Go easy and it won't scratch the window.

Charlie,

Whenever you are doing a stripping or even a "hard" percarb cleaning, wood fiber and old stain is going to get on windows, glass doors, and siding. Just tell your guys to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. A dual lance comes in handy.

Yea I had two guys rinsing this house and all the bushes. Its the same process I use for every other deck I dont know what made this just stick all over the windows. We pre rinse, rinse during stripping, rinse during brightening and rinse afterward.

Thanks for the tips guys. Tried to clean once more today but not much luck. Hired a window cleaner to hopefully fix the problem. Money out of my pocket but its better than the risk of me scratching the windows or something.

This is four french doors and a big half moon window on the back of the house so its better to have it done right

Safe Restore. I had one the other week that wasn't rinsed proporly after an eaves wash left a film on the window. Safe restore to the rescue. Worth a try if the window guy can't help.

I've had it happen as well and I am fanatical about rinsing. Window cleaners, Dawn, etc did not work. I used a product similar to the Soft scrub (mild abrasive) and polished it out. It took awhile but the glass was transparent. When the homeowner saw the results he wanted his whole house down. I took a pass on that.

I DON'T RECOMMEND using a razor on a customers glass unless you understand defective tempered glass issues and have had the customer sign a waver!. You could scratch it and end up paying for replacement of several panes at huge expense and it was not even your fault! I know some of you may have used razors before with no problem, but unless you know what your looking for you could run across a bad batch of windows that can ruin your day (week). A Scotch Bright pad (or 0000 steel wool) on wet windows works great. For high windows or hard to reach windows affix the pad to a pole with a clamp or a drywall sanding fixture with a swivel on it.

I DON'T RECOMMEND using a razor on a customers glass unless you understand defective tempered glass issues and have had the customer sign a waver!. You could scratch it and end up paying for replacement of several panes at huge expense and it was not even your fault! I know some of you may have used razors before with no problem, but unless you know what your looking for you could run across a bad batch of windows that can ruin your day (week). A Scotch Bright pad (or 0000 steel wool) on wet windows works great. For high windows or hard to reach windows affix the pad to a pole with a clamp or a drywall sanding fixture with a swivel on it.

Amen on that! Do not ever put a metal scraper on glass unless you have a scratched glass waiver. There's a lot of defective tempered glass out there that has fabrication debris on it.

This fabrication debris is on the glass because the tempering furnaces are not kept clean. Glass dust is heated and basically welded to the glass as it is tempered in the furnace. The glass dust or fines will break loose and scratch the glass.

The metal scraper is not what actually scrapes the glass. Metal scrapers will not scratch glass if used properly. The glass fines actually scratch the glass.

The glass manufacturers try to put the blame on the window cleaners but it's their fault that they did not keep their furnaces clean. They are selling defective tempered glass.

Do not let this become YOUR PROBLEM. Get a scratched glass waiver signed by the home owner or builder before you use a metal scraper on their glass.

visit www.stopscratchedglass.com for a wealth of info and for sample waivers that you can use for your business whenever you need to clean any tempered or heat treated glass.

I've had that happen as well and I'm a fan of flushing. Window Cleaners, Dawn did not work. I used a product similar to Soft Scrub and polished out. It took awhile, but the glass was transparent. When the homeowner saw the results he wanted his whole house down. I took a pass on that.

I stripped a deck and staining it today homeowner noticed pieces of stuff all along the windows on the back of the house

I've tried washing with windex and invisible glass but it won't come off

Looks almost like it might be miniscule pieces of old stain or maybe wood fibers.

I've never had this problem before so I'm worried maybe I etched the windows? I'd like to give it one more go myself before hiring a window company since the homeowner isn't too happy

Whats the best way to try and clean these off?

Hi... Charlie.. try the Combination of vinegar with liquid shop and water… it will help to easily remove the sticky wax over the window and glass too.

On 6/26/2009 at 4:12 PM, Beth n Rod said:

Use a 4" scraper blade with your window cleaning solution. This will help to remove any stubborn foreign matter.

Rod!~

Yes, use of a 4" scraper blade will be a good option.