Sign in to follow this  
rick77

Leaving Water in Lines

I'm curious to know if you always flush water out of your pump and hoses at the end of a workday. If not, will the water left in the pump and unloader cause any damage?

The reason I ask is because I never flush the water out and one morning I noticed a redish brown looking color inside of my bypass hose that goes from the unloader back to the float tank.

This only happened one time so maybe it was something about the particular water that I used the previous work day.

Do I need to flush out the pump and hoses after each workday?

Its probably rust. I have it.

Yeah, it looks like rust as I can see it through the clear poly hose from the unloader back to the float tank.

This is a new machine/rig/trailer etc. I did several jobs and there was no rust build-up in the bypass hose. Then suddenly after a particular job there it was the next time I used the equipment.

It seems this would not be good for the pump and unloader. I got a ball valve and T joint yesterday so I can at least drain the bypass hose of water after each gig.

As far as water in the pump I'd have to wait until my 35 gallon float tank is empty and then run the motor on my power washer dry for about 5 seconds to flush out the water in the pump.

Which is the worst of the two evils? Leaving water in the pump and unloader or running the machine dry for 5 seconds at the end of each day of use in order to flush out the water?

I only drain in winter. My skid is new and have rust. Just leave it alone and dont worry about it.

Thanks guys! I just had to make sure this was not a major problem. Glad to know I don't have to worry about it until Winter.