Sign in to follow this  
rjefferson

Help! (Pressure washer marks)

Question

So to start off I am a landscaper by trade not a deck guy. Doing some general lawn care on a house we've been doing for some time now when the homeowner asks if we can finish her deck. The previous guy ducked the job after pressure washing it. For the most part the work looks good (no dirt/mold/green) but there is a few marks that I have learned come from holding a pressure washer tip too close. Now there is only a spot or two any ideas on how to fix those areas?

Thanks,

Rick

9 answers to this question

Rick,

If the wand marks are superficial and have not actually damaged the surface of the wood, staining will likely cover up the marks.

Otherwise, a light sanding with a random orbital and 60 grit should do the trick.

Assuming this is pressure treated decking, it may be possible to "erase" these marks by using low-pressure (less than 1000 psi) and a wide spray pattern. Working perpendicular to the marks, start about 8" out and work your way closer, moving the wand quickly from one side of each board to the other. Stay within the gaps and keep the wand moving. You may not be able to remove all of the marks, but you can lessen their appearance.

If you don't feel comfortable with my suggestion, sanding will work. Use a coarse grit and wear a mask - especially if the PT wood is older than 3 or 4 years.

Thank you everyone for the quick response, the guy here at the local Sherwin Williams suggested a light sand also. He says " The marks add character " haha, I think i'll start there hopefully there not all that bad.

Rick

Rick,

As Ken's picture above shows, spot sanding on ipe' is verboten. When stripping or cleaning an ipe' deck, the first time only, a quick 60 grit sanding is really required for an even, attractive finish.

Here is an ipe' job we completed this morning. First pic is of a Messmer's finish, applied 2 weeks ago, that is firred, along with a ton of wand marks. The handyman that did the work obviously had no idea or clue.

We easily stripped off the Messmer's and went to work. All ipe' was lightly sanded with 60 grit, random orbitals on the steps and floor, and sanding pads on the top rail.

Two separate oilings by hand brushing. Stain is Ready Seal natural cedar, still a bit wet in spots in the last picture.

On soft wood you can do what Jon said or with a variable speed wand you can increase and decrease the pressure over the bad spot and feather the spot out with a golf type swing.

Sanding cures all ills. Rick, take a look at this one. Its probably the worst case I have ever run into of an underqualified contractor attempting to prep a deck.

contractor_fubar.jpg

Someone sold that???? ROFLMAO!!!!