Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

How's 2009 biz

Question

How's everyone doing with business this year?

I am up a little but got real slow this August. I project I will be up maybe 10-15K this year unless we get swamped with work, which would be nice. We historically have added about 50- 80 K each year, but I don't think that will happen this year

If you are up or down, what do you think the reason are for your increase, decline or staying the same

Us, I know there are a few reasons for our kind of stay the same year.

I know its part due to the economy, many properties are shopping price, many are waiting longer to do the work and spend the money. We have a ton of start up companies and yes many are subpar and doing washing sometimes/often at half the price

13 answers to this question

Jeff I haven't seen any exterior painting sales since '07 - so I won't even go there. My interior painting sales are down this year by 4k. But then again I only had one big interior job last year. I had a newspaper classified ad circulated among 350,000 customers that I did 18k+ from last year - this year $350 so far.

So I am down 22k in sales. Yet when I look over my numbers from last year, if I have no more work from now til Sept. 6 I will only be down 5k. So I have recouped 17k of my 22k in losses from other forms of new advertizing this year.

So I would say the bulk of my problem was the heavy reliance on one form of advertizing that has had a 100% drop in sales. I believe this reflects the demographic that uses this advertizing to acquire services. Not that I haven't had tremendously wealthy clients use this advertizing as well.

But the upside is that through a strong motivation to acquire customers from other sources of advertizing - I was able to pull it off. I've been able to increase my marketing each year now for 3 years - but not necessarily my sales. But I am still in the 'game'.

How's everyone doing with business this year?...

Jeff,

We only service residential exterior wood. Sales have been strong, about 20% over last year to date, which was our best year ever. Despite the poor overall economy, people in this area seem to want their homes maintained and improved.

The problem has been nearly constant rainy weather. Since April, I would guess we have "lost" 18 working days due to wet wood. If this keeps up, it is possible our gross billings may be down year over year.

Getting to the point where I'm considering not joining the fun in Orlando.

Steady into Sept.. ( and hot as H3LL ).

A good mix of resi washes and wood resto.

Would be higher numbers if I wasn't doing so much playing, jamming and enjoying life.

I'll sleep when I die and work when I'm broke. ha.

I was just looking at my numbers and so far where up about 30K but so far August has been a little slower and considering that we just lost one of our Commercial accounts that pays out about 24K a year and I also had a monster November last year we may end up being close to even if not down by the end of our year. We also could end up at least where I am now which is 30K because I am advertising alot more this year then last. Only time will tell............

So far were up 75k and reinvesting some of that money in more equipment to expand. Lots of new start ups in the area but a lot of guys are shutting down too so things are averaging out fairly well.

I'm in the process of building another 20GPM trailer rig that should be done in about two weeks with 3 500' electric hose reels, a roof cleaning system and a new acid spraying rig.

Well August just picked up today, filling the last couple weeks on 3 good jobs. Been getting a lot of calls, lots of small stuff and finally today I secured two good sized projects for August. YAY

Hope everyone rocks and rolls

Were were down 48% through July. August has been very dry so far as well. This recession is much worse than the ones we went through in the 80's and 90's but we made it through those so we are keeping our heads up and looking to come out of the other side with as much business as we can retain.