Follow up call

Which method to you use for a follow-up call to get the job:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which method to you use for a follow-up call to get the job:

• An aggressive Call To Action Approach
    • A passive friendly approach

Question

Aggressive:

“Hi Mr. / Mrs. ___________, this is Joe from PowerWash Solutions calling. I enjoyed meeting with you and presenting you with a proposal for your job. I’d love to go over any questions that you may have as soon as possible. We are booking next weeks schedule, so we would really like if you were on board as well. Talk to you soon, Thanks, Joe.”

Passive:

"Hi Mr. / Mrs. ___________, this is Joe from PowerWash solutions calling to check in to see if you had any questions about the estimate. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at 715-248-3392. I am looking forward to working with you. Thanks, Joe."

Hey guys/girls,

I am in need of some help on creating a basic follow up script for after an estimate. I was wondering what the rest of you guys do and how successful it is.

Thanks, Joe

Edited by Little Buddy

41 answers to this question

Since you edited your thread and my post now becomes nonsensical (try to refrain from editing after people have responded) I will modify my answer to the one thing that wins sales. Opening and maintaining dialogue. Most people are not receptive to hard sells over the phone. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask for the sale.. you have to. Its just easiest to open up the conversation by asking if the homeowner had any questions about the bid.

PS: Beth now you have to edit your post. hahaha

Edited by PressurePros

I am thinking of working in a call-to-action for follow up calls. Like, Hi Mr. & Mrs. So and so, I enjoyed meeting with you and presenting you with a proposal for your job. I'd love to go over any questions that you may have as soon as possible and get you on board - we just signed another customer and slots are filling up fast - and we would really like if you were on board as well.

I think all of us contractors should find more ways to deal from a better position of power. I'd rather increase my marketing four fold, cut my crew in half, and really cherry pick the very best customers out there. Too many of us have fewer leads than required sales to even fill a year of work up.

Offering available start dates that are about a week or so out also gives that "sense of urgency". So when you call back, let them know that you are setting next weeks schedule and wanted to know if they wanted to be in it.

When I first started, when asked what my next opening was, I never said "today" or "tomorrow". My "next available" was always a week out...even if I had nothing scheduled. I always offered to "squeeze them in" sooner. People - myself included - like dealing with busy people.

Edited by John Orr
added another brilliant thought

CALL TO ACTION FOLLOW-UP CALL

Hi Mr. / Mrs. So and so, this is Joe from PowerWash Solutions. I enjoyed meeting with you and presenting you with a proposal for your job. I’d love to go over any questions that you may have as soon as possible and get you on board. We are scheduling next week’s jobs and slots are filling up fast, so we would really like if you were on board as well. Talk to you soon, Thanks.

Hey guys/girls,

I am in need of some help on creating a basic follow up script for after an estimate. something like, "Hello _______, this is Joe from powerwash solutions calling to check in to see if you had any questions about the estimate. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call at 715-248-3392. I am looking forward to working with you. Thanks, Joe."

Thats basically all i got. I was wondering what the rest of you guys do and how successful it is.

Thanks, Joe

I like this better,

I have given you time for review and was wondering what a good time to contact you might be?

Of course if i leave a proposal I ask that question for recontact at the time i submit...therefore the letter your writing I dont need.

I think i am going to turn this into a poll to see what everyone feels is best: The Call To Action or the more passive approach.

I always get confused you guys are talking residential. often home owner want more passive sales people. Relaxed and not often in a hurry, Im a commercial guy an dont have the knowledge to even address home owner sales. I would likely get thrown off property.

I would need a gun to sell residential, put up to the temple an say sign here. LOL

I always get confused you guys are talking residential. often home owner want more passive sales people. Relaxed and not often in a hurry, Im a commercial guy an dont have the knowledge to even address home owner sales. I would likely get thrown off property.

I would need a gun to sell residential, put up to the temple an say sign here. LOL

hahahaha...I wouldn't think it would be that big of a difference between commercial and residential, but i know what you are saying. Commercial probably takes for ever because it is more than one person making the decision and hard to find those people where residential you are speaking with the people who make the decisions right away.

If I don't schedule the job at the time of the estimate, I ask if it's OK to call in 3 or 4 days.

Something like this.

I know life gets in the road sometimes. If I haven't heard from you in 3 or 4 days, is it alright to give you a follow up call.

They have always said, sure.

If I don't schedule the job at the time of the estimate, I ask if it's OK to call in 3 or 4 days.

Something like this.

I know life gets in the road sometimes. If I haven't heard from you in 3 or 4 days, is it alright to give you a follow up call.

Thats the same approach i would take, your right on Dave.

Something like this.

Yes, i understand this but what i was going for/asking is more for what do you say during the followup call 3-4 days later. Obviously, they either (1) forget because they are extremely busy, (2) have questions unanswered, or (3) don't have the funds (the amount of funds is probably less of an issue because they are looking to hire someone to do it, but more of a lack of being sold and quality of the service the price includes). So i was really hoping to see how you guys go about to fulfill these and get the job scheduled.

thanks, Joe

P.S signing the job on the spot doesn't really apply to this thread, but it does require a follow-up call to as a reminder that you are coming and to have the deck cleared.

I like the passive approach better. I for one would wonder about the guy that says spots are filling up fast. To me that sounds like an excuse to make me sign right away. Yes they may be filling up fast but I don't like to be pressured into signing a contract. I have gotten better a better response from my customers by just giving them a follow up call and then maybe a second call a couple of weeks later.

Considering that most of our proposals are delivered via email, I generally indicate a time reference that we are booking (which is generally several weeks out anyway). I will send a follow up email to them if I've had no response inside the week to see if there are questions.

Yea mike was telling me he does the same (email the bid) if they are not there. This sounds great, and im sure it is and works wonders, but it doesn't seem personal, you know. I was planning on doing the same but have a few questions about it.

I know most of you guys probably try and schedule to the bid in the evening, when the home owners are there, but most of the time that is hard to do. Most probably dont really care so they just stop during the day get the measurments and then email them the bid attached with some info about maintenance program, stain, blah blah blah, and maybe even leave info about maintenance program, FAQ, process, and fridge magnet at their house just in case.

Now to my question, if they are there when you are doing the bid do you (a) give them a written estimate there on the spot and get them booked or (b) tell them you can send them the bid later that day via email and then just continue to elaborate the quality, stain, maintenance program, answer questions, and educate the homeowner and set their expectations?

Thanks, Joe

Now to my question, if they are there when you are doing the bid do you (a) give them a written estimate there on the spot and get them booked or (b) tell them you can send them the bid later that day via email and then just continue to elaborate the quality, stain, maintenance program, answer questions, and educate the homeowner and set their expectations?

B is the answer I use now. I used to spend lots of time at people houses trying to get them to sign, but I've found that couple's like to discuss spending that kind of money, and pressuring them is not a good sales technique. All I usually tell them if they are home is that I'm here to do some measurements and testing, and that I'll e-mail them an estimate. This gives you contact with them twice vs. the initial consult. Of course I give them the usual spiel about stain, restoration process, etc. They also get a nice brochure with that info along with other services we provide. Many times a homeowner will ask about house washing or roof cleaning after reading the brochure. Now I'm selling added services. I schedule all estimates for one day of the week (usually Friday because it's payday). There's lots more to this, but you get the idea. It really is a process that you have to develop, and it changes as your business does.

We always meet with the customers but rarely if ever give them figures on site. The email is our second contact and opportunity to "impress" them further....and our email proposal is pretty nice. It provides both additional information about us that we don't talk about as well as details/explanations that back up our estimate.

We always meet with the customers but rarely if ever give them figures on site. The email is our second contact and opportunity to "impress" them further....and our email proposal is pretty nice. It provides both additional information about us that we don't talk about as well as details/explanations that back up our estimate.

Ditto.

I give on the spot estimates and ask for the sale. I don't push too hard but my goal is to get them on the schedule and move on. I have way too many estimates to do to email everyone. If the customer hems and haws, I explain that I am not a high pressure person and that I understand they may need to discuss options. What I always do though is let them know I will be following up with them in a few days. I also let them know that at the moment I am talking to them I am booked 6 weeks out. That could be eight weeks by the weekend. (which is true in the spring).

My feeling is, you called me, I am qualified and my price is very fair. While I am here, lets get this thing fixed up for you.