162 members have voted

1. 1. How much did you spend

• <$1,000
    • $2,000-$5,000
    • $6,000-$9,000
    • >$10,000

Question

70 answers to this question

It took me about 12k at startup but that was to do car lots. Tough business and only grossed about 40k off of it last year. Next week we will crack the 200k mark for this fiscal year.

One thing I will make a huge point to make sure new guys think about it. I agree totally with PICK 1 OR 2 AREAS OF THE BUSINESS AND SPECIALIZE IN IT, meaning don't do vent hoods and wash houses. Stick to items that will make your service harder to use two different guys. If you want to go the restaurant route, do hoods and flatwork. Or strictly residential and market it very well. I chose building washes and flatwork. No residential what-so-ever. I am not such a big believer at this point in advertising. I have a dominate site in the state and was fairly cheap and I am still dwelling on the yellow pages this year but making it really clear NO RESIDENTIAL SERVICES OFFERED UNLESS HOA. That doesn't mean that advertising would not help grow my business but I am not so sure I would land many restaurants by TV & Radio advertising. I will start a mailing campaign as well as leaving fliers all over these restaurants.

The last point I would like to make is that the extreme growth came from hard work and lots of great individuals that were willing to share their knowledge with others. I am extremely thankful for the guys that have spoken with me in the past and shared their experiences and knowledge with me.

Thank You to all the BBS'

Edited by Chris Tharpe

Way to go Chris. I luv to hear how someone is making money.

I agree with you when you say be specialize in one or two fields. In January 1989, we tried to do everything, from School Kitchens / cafeteria's to home driveways to Parking Structures. We did anything we could get. Sometimes you need to do anything you can, especially in the beginning.

You need to find yourself and your business...meaning what niche you can fill in your area....and if there is more than one niche, of those niche's what niche that you can do well.

Some find this " Niche " right from the get go. They are the lucky one's. Some take a year or two. But when you find it.... HOLD ON !!! Keep learning, asking questions of yourself on how we can do it better, NOT necessary faster, though it is one thing to think about. I believe quality is what the America wants providing that quality is justified.

Again....Way to go !!!!

I started with my workers comp money of $17,500 dollars. I took that money and bought my first railer with tanks and a Delco 5500 SS. That year,1989, I made $17,500. I broke even. The next year I made a little more, just under 50K. Then the following year a bit more.

I have never " LOST " money in my business.

My first garage I did for just over 2 cents a sq. ( 207,000 sq ft. for $5,000 )

I thought I was rich. That was the high end for garage cleaning in 1989 with no reclamation needed at that time. It was called Tide and Bleach.

Today, we clean for .24 a sq ft. Though we have approx. 7-12 garage Cleaning Companies in N. California. We are the highest priced. We have never advertised, no Ad's, no flyer's, to marketing calls in 21 years of doing business. Customers finds us.

Add-on, Some have asked if we only do xx to xx garages. NO these are the companies we work for that have multiple garages. we do over 25 garages a year. Since the average square foot that one can clean is 68,000 square feet. That includes HAND SCRUBBING, Pressurized steam, rinsing with a fire hose at 80 GPM's with 90 psi, filtering. This method takes 6 to 15 guys to do correctly and NO ONE is sitting down in the 12 to 15 hour day. To steam clean 68,000 sq ft ONLY takes 3 hours or less.

Edited by Jim Gamble

I think start up budget will reflect on your own ( mechanical) skills, I started my Bilge and tank cleaning business in 1982 with a $8000.00 loan and a credit card that I taped back together after swearing never to use it again. My first tank truck I bought had literally been put out to pasture by its former owner ( sat in a cow field for 3 years), my first PW was a 14 year old L & A 503. I fixed/outfitted and painted that truck and all my later trucks myself ( except my F-800 ) I only had to hand out business cards for the first year, after that it was all word of mouth being that with the boating cummunity word gets around.My first year in business my ins was around $1500.00 when I sold the business in 2005 ins was about $18,000.00. My first full year in business I grossed around $23k, my last full year in business I grossed just over $250k. I had 2 trucks ( one for tank cleaning and one for bilge cleaning) and one employee who was with me for 17 years ( only fired him 3 times). I still had that L&A PW when I sold the business

My first truck (1982) My last truck ( 2005)

post-4708-13777229974_thumb.jpg

post-4708-137772299746_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bilge Cleaner

Ya'll say to find a niche and stick to it. uh huh. Doesn't that mean I still need to try it all to find out? And too, in this area every tom **** and harry has a lowes pressure washer on a 4x8 trailer and is trying to do houses for nothing. So doI even try to do houses or do I have to do houses? The flat work like gas stations, and bank etc. would be great but I can't afford the environ. equip. to start.

Edited by jgotterb

Around 11,000... This includes the fire equipment stuff , hood cleaning stuff , my old truck that I bought for 2500 years ago ... It is setting up now waiting to be sold.. My biggest expense was insurance.. Now with the new stuff just in the past year and a half we have purchased about 25000.00 dolars worth of ( truck, machine,trailers,and fire equipment stock... ( Dang I am Broke )

i started out with a $2000 pressure washer from northern and starved for a couple years 10k-50k building up the business,we did $280k in 06 with myself and 1 assistant.

then the building boom bursted and we were 100 percent leveraged in new construction.

the drought for the last 2 years has hurt business as well.

profits have not been the same since 2007 but things are picking up around here

Edited by timhays

started with a 96 ford e250, hotsy 1260, and about $1,000.00. 10 years later i have 6 trucks, 2 trailers, and last year we did about $650k. This year I got rid of my office( - $4,500 a month) My waste of time secretary that was surfing the net all the time.(-$650/week) and got rid some poor performers. I hope to break 1mil between all my business this year.. I HOPE... back to basics for me.

Ya'll say to find a niche and stick to it. uh huh. Doesn't that mean I still need to try it all to find out? And too, in this area every tom **** and harry has a lowes pressure washer on a 4x8 trailer and is trying to do houses for nothing. So doI even try to do houses or do I have to do houses? The flat work like gas stations, and bank etc. would be great but I can't afford the environ. equip. to start. Back to the question. as soon as Uncle Sam gives me back my $ I will have about $3500 to start. I already have a Hydrotek hot cold. Still very confused.

If you don't want to "try" everything - which really does mean marketing everything - find a couple of companies that have found a niche and ride along, get your hands in it and see if you click. There are several companies in NC & SC that will be happy to have you for a day or two (we call it Labor for learning and you will work!)

We're one.....I believe William Page (Off Duty Fireman does it). Feel free to check with us - when it warms up a bit!

Celeste

I decided to sell the truck stop/wash and go mobile so I went out on a Monday and spoke to 4 companies, Pepsi Cola, Ryder, NorthAmerican Van Lines, and Fayard Trans.. I had all four companies before lunch. Now all I needed was a machine and some soap. I rented a preasure washer from the local rental company for $30.00 and called the guy that sold me soap when I had the truck stop/wash. About $150.00 in chemicals and the machine, and I was in business. I did some independents on weekends for cash that paid for the rental of the machine all week and the soap and contuniued this until the profits from the large companies came in. When the money started to flow came the new machines, insurance and another truck. the only advertising I have ever done was a business card so when peoplke asked what was the name of the company or how to get in touch with me, I handed them one. That has been the extent of my advertising for 31 years. I stopped handing out cards 8 years ago but that hasn't seem to change anything.

Do you guys think age, I'm 20, will hurt me or doesn't it matter?

It can be somewhat a hurdle to overcome however its not impossible. I am 25 and it seems as I get the snub sometimes. Just present yourself well over the phone and email if you communicate with them before face-to-face meetings and you will do much better and they will be impressed

Deffinately a little tuff to gain the confidence of the customer. Present yourself as a professional, and do professional work, and the work will start rolling in. Use your past customers as references for future customers. If you do good work, the word will spread. I was 24 when I started. I think alot of people think a younger person in business should have cheaper prices because their bills shouldn't be as high as someone with a family. Hold firm to your pricing. I use to get it alot. People thought my prices were too high. I don't have that problem much anymore. Maybe that's because of my company's reputation, or maybe I'm just a better salesman now, or could be due to the fact that I'm getting older and have some grey hair surfacing.

I started the company with

$800 cash for a trailer

$4000 on a credit card for a small hot water machine, hoses, chemicals, and a couple ladders

$? small general liability policy

I had a $3500 job lined up before I ever bought any equipment, and had everything paid for before the credit card bill ever came in.

Edited by Chesapeake

If you feel age may be affecting your ability to solicit jobs, change your presentation to "WE" and run with it showing confidence that you are indeed part of an excellent team, well equipped to accomplish the clients task.

(Everyone has some sort of support group, wether they are in the field with them, or only at the bank counting $'s.)

To the OP, our entry into PW'ing was and extension of our pre-existing business. It increased our income by 15-20% almost immediately. Doubled the investment would have been far superior.

A well-thought advertising campaign would be money well spent.

Took out a loan for $15,000, grossed $26,500 1st year (4 years ago) loan will be paid off this year.

Started with a $600 craftsman pressure washer at age 16 technically but didn't make it into a business until around 18. At that time I was part time working another job. Went full time at 21 and Im now heading towards the big 36 in August.

Craftsman washer and a rough s-10 pickup was my work vehicle :) now were into 4 self contained service vans/trucks 3 of which are two man units. Residential woodcare has been my focalpoint for most of my time in business but we're now going full bore for commercial work too. Especially HOA and Condo associations, PM's, etc...

Hello Sir: With all do respect, what does 'Halfway Decent Living' mean? I am trying to figure out a reason, why I should get into this business. I am performing my due diligence and it seems difficult match-up apples to apples, where it seems in this industry, most or all of you, have different set of skills and offer various specialties. I want to get into hood cleaning for the repeat business and when it slows down, during the winters, I have continued revenue. Speaking about real margins, what can someone expect, if all marketing and cold calling in place. (competition)

I can seem to find a real answer, and everyones version of real income/profits is different from one person to another. I live in Long Island, NY.

Or is Franchising, the way to go, I see that there is one for hood cleaning.?

Thank you for all and or anyone's help on this very important matter.

JJaco

Speaking about real margins, what can someone expect, if all marketing and cold calling in place.

JJaco,

I'll try to be gentle here, but you have to perform the work as well as have a marketing plan, etc. Just because you can "sell" a job, doesn't guarantee repeat or return business. You need to do quality work (especially in hood cleaning). Just because you have a business it doesn't equate to a specific dollar amount you'll make. Drive, business acumen, marketing, and proven results are the things that will make or break you in this line of work. I applaud you for your due diligence, but the only one can give you an answer to your question, is you.