JamieP

Fence Longevity: Stained Vs Not Stained

Question

I realize there a lot of different factors that can determine a fences life span, but what do you think the ratio would be from Stained Vs Not Stained, all other variables controlled. The Stained fence would also be on a routine maintenance plan every 2-3 years.

Would 5 to 1 seem reasonable?

17 answers to this question

Thanks.

What about the post? You think pressure treated post stained would be 5 to 1?

Does anyway market their staining services with a financial comparison vs unstained?

As far as vertical wood goes, I think that any staining is purely aesthetic. If you leave a fence unstained/sealed it should last 25-40 yrs (low end for cedar, high end for PTP). If you stain it, and maintain it, it may last just as long, or maybe less?? Maintenance including pressure washing, will remove layers of wood fibers every time, thus shortening the lifespan? I understand that horizontal wood, like decks, benefit from maintenance due to the fact that sun, moisture, and foot traffic, take a toll on those surfaces. Vertical surfaces don't take nearly the beating that horizontals do, thus need little or no maintenance other than adding color - aesthetic. I'm sure I'll get blasted for this response, but I actually have a fence in my backyard that was built in 1971 (PTP arsenic type) never stained, and a fence a neighbor built in 1988 (cedar) and stains regularly. The old unstained fence still looks good (although grey), and the neighbors fence is on the way out, and usually looks crappy because the stain is always in some state of failure. Of course, nothing lasts forever, and the PTP fence boards are close to the end of the road too, but there's a 17 yr difference in age. Also, the PTP fence has never been washed to my knowledge, and I have never seen mold or mildew growth on it. The stained fence gets mildew as the stain fails. Just a real world observation, and food for thought......

Mike, a few observations.

1) I am assuming we are talking about a regularly maintained fence. If a stain goes into failure, its not being maintained.

2) Your wood is both older growth and the better (though more toxic) PT lumber.

3) Your neighbor's fence may have been treated with a waterborne. Those products allow very rapid rot to occur on cedar.

Two identical fences built with today's younger growth lumber.. Its my opinion that one treated with a penetrating oil and maintained will always outlast the untreated one. 100% of the time in equal environments.

Ken,

I can always count on you for the quality response. I agree completely. I just wanted to throw that out there as if it was a homeowner making that observation. Now everyone has a good reply to that, in case a homeowner questions "why maintain my fence?".

JamieP,

Great posts........thats called market research, and I bet you will be successful based on the fact that you are going about things the right way.

What Ken said about the new growth vs. old growth is a great point. New fences warp and buckle like crazy. I built a new one two years ago, and immediately stained with a penetrating oil. It is cedar, but all of the planks dried out straight, no warping, etc. I believe the key to new decks/fences would be an immediate treatment. I know that treatment won't last as long as it won't penetrate as deeply, but I think it is imperative to slow down the drying process of the new wood. If you can slow that process, I think you can keep the wood reasonably straight and square.

Do most people pressure wash to clean wood during maintenance coats with paraffin oil treatment? Only makes sense that the high pressure would remove layers of the wood, therefore decreasing the life span. Therefore is bleach the best form of cleaning before applying a new coat?

Also with paraffin treatments I'm starting to think that the grey that occurs after a couple of years is UV damage vs mildew growth. Due to the fact that the grey occurs simultaneously with loss of pigment. Is this possible?

As far as staining vs not staining, if you were to look at just the pickets, and lets say just cedar. I think you would have a very dramatic difference between a picket treated every 2-3 years vs one thats not. I think the one that has no treatment could have erosion problems within the first 5 years that could lead to a failure of that board, and the need to replace. Where as a board that is maintained could last 5 times as long and I'm thinking possibly 10 times as long. Anyone else buy that?

Do most people pressure wash to clean wood during maintenance coats with paraffin oil treatment? Only makes sense that the high pressure would remove layers of the wood, therefore decreasing the life span. Therefore is bleach the best form of cleaning before applying a new coat?

Yes. The goal with any maintenance clean will be to let a cleaner do 99% of the work and a 200 psi rinse. You just recoat after that.

Also with paraffin treatments I'm starting to think that the grey that occurs after a couple of years is UV damage vs mildew growth. Due to the fact that the grey occurs simultaneously with loss of pigment. Is this possible?

Yes. Graying is caused by sunlight. Its kind of a defense mechanism for the wood. the gray actually does serve to protect the wood if there is no pigment from a sealer that can be sacrificed first.. if that makes sense.

You are on the right track.

Yes. For 8 yrs. we have been using Ready Seal stain, which is a paraffin oil. A light 1.5 - 2.5% chlorine bleach with a little soap is applied to the wood and lightly pressure washed. A single relatively light application of stain is applied. This is for maintenance.

Exactly as Ken describes. One more factor. In two years with horizontal wood (decks), and 4 to 5 years on vertical wood (fences), there is still paraffin oil in the wood, protecting it against moisture damage.

As far as staining vs not staining, if you were to look at just the pickets, and lets say just cedar. I think you would have a very dramatic difference between a picket treated every 2-3 years vs one thats not. I think the one that has no treatment could have erosion problems within the first 5 years that could lead to a failure of that board, and the need to replace. Where as a board that is maintained could last 5 times as long and I'm thinking possibly 10 times as long. Anyone else buy that?

Jamie,

To be honest, a high percentage of my customers really don't think about protecting their wood. They just want it to look great.

That being said, cedar has the properties of rotting, and fairly quickly, if it stays wet for long periods of time. That could be a selling point.

Edited by RPetry

So its a consensus that it will make a fence last longer?

That to me is the major selling point, extend your investment, and you get the appearance as an added benefit.

But the appearance is what sells, and when you combine the two values of the service it is very hard to decide not to stain your fence.

In my research I have fences in my area costing homeowners approximately $60/month, and the privilege to look at an eroding discolored unattractive fence is a freebie!

Jamie,

There is something about Texas and fences. Its a big business. I know Ready Seal pre-stains a ton of fence sections in their manufacturing factory before they get installed.

Must be a left over from the cattle baron Wild West days. Go for it.

Jamie,

There is something about Texas and fences. Its a big business. I know Ready Seal pre-stains a ton of fence sections in their manufacturing factory before they get installed.

Must be a left over from the cattle baron Wild West days. Go for it.

Every subdivision I've seen in The D has privacy fencing for all homes. And 95% look like garbage. Grey wood would look better. These are horrid stain jobs on dirty wood.

Every subdivision I've seen in The D has privacy fencing for all homes. And 95% look like garbage. Grey wood would look better. These are horrid stain jobs on dirty wood.

Jon,

Sounds like a good business opportunity. Nah, never mind, there is no real ocean in Texas, especially near Dallas. The Gulf of Mexico is not the ocean.

I think the longevity of fence surely depends upon which fencing service provider you have hired.I usually had not a very good experience with many of fencing service providers but now off late it actually has been a good experience.

Fence Repairs