Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Salem witches - a rediscovery - Eureka!

Question

I've rediscovered the very house of Ann Putnam of Salem Village!!!!! Here are the pics one, circa 1891 and another very recent one. I used the internet as a great research tool and finally ID'd a house I believe all others have thought lost forever. Ann Putnam is the girl that started pointing fingers at others for acts of witch craft and set off a blaze of accusations and ensuing hangings back in very puritanical New England in 1692.

post-1720-137772268642_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772268649_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Daniel,

I'm afraid you are too late. Check out Wikipedia, that 2nd photo has been on the site and known for many years.

I know that picture, it's originally from the peabody essex museum collection, that's what I am using as a baseline for the first photo.

Yes those are 2 totally different houses. No one is going to remove a chimney in the middle of a house.

According to the old deeds - this house if it is the house must have been moved several hundred yards. In which case it makes sense to knock out the center chimney - and not rebuild it once on a new foundation. Just easier to rebuild it on an outside wall.

Not the same house.....

Beth

look carefully at the 2nd story windows - how there is more space to the right of the righter most window and less space to the left of the left most window. And look how in both pics the door is exactly underneath the right most window. Other than superficial changes - like the addition of the shed dormer - the addition - and that small cut out window - everything matches perfectly.

Look at the identical roof slope - that exact piece of trim that makes the soffit returns. I got pretty close to the house yesterday but couldn't see it - due to all the signs that said state property keep out. But I will go back again and take pictures of the front of the home.

Daniel, I know a Scott Currier who is a history buff. Haven't seen him in years, but he lived over Ward Hill way, last I knew.

Hope this helps narrow it down.

He's mostly into trains right? I am going to email him and discuss it. I am also going to contact the Danvers and Middleton historical societies.

He's mostly into trains right?
That's the guy. He's done a lot of research on old RR right-of-ways.
I am going to email him and discuss it.
I bet he'll have some good info. He's a pretty smart guy, but he can "talk the handle off a [chamber]pot." ;)
I am also going to contact the Danvers and Middleton historical societies.
Happy huntin'.

More good detective work, Daniel.

I had to look twice at the photo credit for Frank Cousins; I thought it was your county sheriff until I saw the date of the photo. I guess it was somewhat before his time. ;)

BTW, I work with a guy who is a descendant of Susannah Martin.

I don't think Cotton Mather and those other ministers and "judges" were too swift. That story reads like a deadly serious version of a certain scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?

Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!

Sir Bedevere: A newt?

Peasant 3: [meekly after a long pause] ... I got better.

Crowd: [shouts] Burn her anyway!