Sign in to follow this  
4running

Engine Alternator and 12v burner HOTSY

Hello all-

my new 781SS is here, 6hp, 2000@2.5gpm. I had a small burner relight issue that seemed to be solved entirely by charging the battery. I want to understand a 12v burner a little bit better.....

Does the igniter arc the ENTIRE time the burner is on? Or does it stop once it is lit?

Can the engine recharge the battery on its own? Or must I plug the battery in every night after say, an hours use?

Do all engines have an alternator to charge batteries built in? Is it run off of the magneto? I have seen some pressure washers with an automotive style alternator being belt driven.

If only some engines have an alternator, if I want to change this engine out, how can I tell which replacement engines have an alternator?

Thanks Guys!

Kyle

Kyle my 16 horse Vanguard has an alternator on it. Had to have it replaced a while back. Just got my unit back from getting the burner fixed and it worked fine the first time I fired it up. Now after 3 weeks the fan works, it sprays fuel, but the ignitore is not working. I am charging the battery to see if that is what the problem is.

Hi-

Another Texan, well I think Childress Texas is north of Killeen. Otherwise I would offer a hand. Seems to me on an old Hotsy that I had, I had a Band adjustment as well as an igniter alignment issue. If you have an email I can send pics of what they should look like on a 120v burner, when aligned and cleaned.

12 VOLT BURNER SYSTEMS

The 12 volt burner system must be perfectly balanced to eliminate problems. Some of the parameters are:

1. Battery 750 CCA

a. The battery must stay fully charged.

b. Terminals must be clean and tight.

c. The battery must have a good ground.

d. The ground between the battery and the entire

frame must be good.

2. The charging system must charge at least 13.1

volts and a minimum of 15 amps if using a

transformer with a drop out timer or 20 amps

using a transformer without.

3. The engine speed is critical to maintain the

charging rate.

4. The electrode settings must be exactly as set forth

by the machine manufacturer.

5. Fuel pressure must be as established by the mfg.

6. The burner exhaust must not be restricted.

7. The blower motor must be maintained, brushes,

bearings, etc.

8. Fuel nozzles should be changed at least twice each

year.

9. Fuel filter should be changed every 2 months

at a minimum.

10. Top quality fuel must be used.

11. Air band settings should only be made by qualified

personnel with the correct test equipment.

12. All components of your pressure washer must be

operating correctly or the burner can be affected.

13. It is advisable to use a fuel additive such as Red Devil Soot Remover.

14. Fuel tanks should be topped off each day prior to putting the unit away for the night.

This is what I have learned by working with these burners since they were first used in our industry.

Edited by larryh
Mis-spelled words

Hello all-

my new 781SS is here, 6hp, 2000@2.5gpm. I had a small burner relight issue that seemed to be solved entirely by charging the battery. I want to understand a 12v burner a little bit better.....

Does the igniter arc the ENTIRE time the burner is on? Yes unless the unit has an electronic eye Or does it stop once it is lit? only with the electronic eye option

Can the engine recharge the battery on its own? If it is an electric start it should have a built in charging system if the battery is not charging have it checked to make sure it is ok or if it is the battery that is bad. With a 12v burner system it sould be at least a 20 amp system for ADC burners and 25 amp for SDC burners (high vol units) Or must I plug the battery in every night after say, an hours use? Have the unit repaired to prevent damage to your burner system

Do all engines have an alternator to charge batteries built in? usually only those with electric starters Is it run off of the magneto? no off the stater behind the flywheel I have seen some pressure washers with an automotive style alternator being belt driven. those units offer plenty of charging for they burners and accy

If only some engines have an alternator, if I want to change this engine out, how can I tell which replacement engines have an alternator? they should mention the charging system in the specs ie. 20 amp charging or 25 amp recharge ...

Thanks Guys!

Kyle

see notes above in red