Sign in to follow this  
AmericanPowerWashing

Intro, The best rookie you ever saw!!

Question

Hey guys my name is Jon and I recently purchased some power washing gear that I am going to use to make this whole county shine. I have some experience but not a lot; I worked for another guy, not a professional though, for about a month at 50 hours a week. I really enjoy power washing and I am currently in college finishing up my AA. It may sound weird but I have fallen in love with power washing. I really enjoy the work and I also enjoy the thought of giving people the best service they can get. I made the decision to devote all of my free time to learning and researching what it takes to give people the best quality service. I have spent 100s of hours over the past 2 months just learning and trying to make sure that I will be the best I can. I came across this site a few weeks ago and I feel like I have been blessed. I am so impressed with the high caliber individuals that take their time to post the high caliber information that is here, thank you. I have learned so much that I am now obligated to use these resources and fully commit myself to not only making my own business succeed but to help restore the credibility that has been lost from the idiots in my town that pressure wash.

Here is what I have purchased so far,

I purchased a 4000psi 4gpm belt driven Honda 13 hp used cold power washer, a 5x8 trailer, a 100 gallon tank, 3500w contractor grade generator(the generator and tank were included with the purchase so I just took them also), a turbo nozzle, a 19 inch Whisper Washer Ultra surface cleaner, a professionally designed and trademarked company logo, my logo on 2 business magnets for my vehicle, uniforms with my company logo, business cards, signs, hose reel with 200 foot of hose total, I made a small tool box to keep in my truck with replacement quick connects and all the tools I need to do any field repairs I am capable of, a chemical injector, an extra wand, a ladder safer nozzle that I love, and a few other little things. But that is my hard ware and as far as advertising outside of my own connections that’s what I have to work with.

Before I found your site I felt confident that I was ready. After getting the opportunity to learn and read about everything you guys say I know that I am not ready yet. I basically don’t know what I am doing with chemicals. I knew from the start I would need them but all the guys around here basically use either nothing(MOST COMMON), bleach(common), or simply house wash, bleach, degreaser(Extremely rare to see someone with T-H-R-E-E types of chemicals around here). So I need to really get on my job and study hard and formulate a plan to first identify the best chemicals and secondly to apply them in the correct and safe manner. I also need to rearrange my rig and I want to make sure that I rearrange it in the most practical and safe way I can but it’s essential that I project an extremely professional image. I have some contracts that others shared with me and am formulating my own plans of how to best deal with paper work. I feel paper work is absolutely essential and that things like customer agreements, receipts, proof of insurance, proof of license, and written record of all relevant information are provided to each of my customers.

I planned to do the best I could and take my time and get the experience and learn right, not quick, but then I had my engine in my truck blow up. My truck has been in the shop for two weeks and its costing me $4,000 plus I lost my job because I couldn’t make it to work and do the things I needed to do without a car. So now I need to get off my butt and step it up and learn as quickly as I can. I had about $8,000 saved in the bank for when I transfer to another university next semester but now I have $500. I will have my truck back in a few days and I have a budget of $400 to work with. I still haven’t bought my insurance and I am unsure of how to go about it in the best way. I need to get my trailer re arranged, buy chemicals, insurance, and I am 100% confident I will discover multiple additional things I need to purchase that I have not accounted for.

It would really help me out if I could get some personal guidance. I can read a book in a day, and I got plenty to read but I got a big wake up when I went to this site; the most important things I need to know I won’t learn from books and definitely not the pressure washers around here. I plan to only accept residential jobs at this point in time (I have commercial accounts that are ready to sign contracts but I don’t know what I’m doing and can’t risk that). My entire county is basically a huge retirement community with around 60% of the homes being $200K+ and those will be my initial customers. I have $400 of business lined up and my goal is to try to get on the road in 10 days. In 10 days its make or break time. If you find time to reply back you will help bring me closer to my goal; To provide residents of my own county with high quality power washing done in a professional manner and to put all of the local idiots pressure washing out of business.

15 answers to this question

Hey guys my name is Jon and I recently purchased some power washing gear that I am going to use to make this whole county shine. I have some experience but not a lot; I worked for another guy, not a professional though, for about a month at 50 hours a week. I really enjoy power washing and I am currently in college finishing up my AA. It may sound weird but I have fallen in love with power washing. I really enjoy the work and I also enjoy the thought of giving people the best service they can get. I made the decision to devote all of my free time to learning and researching what it takes to give people the best quality service. I have spent 100s of hours over the past 2 months just learning and trying to make sure that I will be the best I can. I came across this site a few weeks ago and I feel like I have been blessed. I am so impressed with the high caliber individuals that take their time to post the high caliber information that is here, thank you. I have learned so much that I am now obligated to use these resources and fully commit myself to not only making my own business succeed but to help restore the credibility that has been lost from the idiots in my town that pressure wash.

Here is what I have purchased so far,

I purchased a 4000psi 4gpm belt driven Honda 13 hp used cold power washer, a 5x8 trailer, a 100 gallon tank, 3500w contractor grade generator(the generator and tank were included with the purchase so I just took them also), a turbo nozzle, a 19 inch Whisper Washer Ultra surface cleaner, a professionally designed and trademarked company logo, my logo on 2 business magnets for my vehicle, uniforms with my company logo, business cards, signs, hose reel with 200 foot of hose total, I made a small tool box to keep in my truck with replacement quick connects and all the tools I need to do any field repairs I am capable of, a chemical injector, an extra wand, a ladder safer nozzle that I love, and a few other little things. But that is my hard ware and as far as advertising outside of my own connections that’s what I have to work with.

Before I found your site I felt confident that I was ready. After getting the opportunity to learn and read about everything you guys say I know that I am not ready yet. I basically don’t know what I am doing with chemicals. I knew from the start I would need them but all the guys around here basically use either nothing(MOST COMMON), bleach(common), or simply house wash, bleach, degreaser(Extremely rare to see someone with T-H-R-E-E types of chemicals around here). So I need to really get on my job and study hard and formulate a plan to first identify the best chemicals and secondly to apply them in the correct and safe manner. I also need to rearrange my rig and I want to make sure that I rearrange it in the most practical and safe way I can but it’s essential that I project an extremely professional image. I have some contracts that others shared with me and am formulating my own plans of how to best deal with paper work. I feel paper work is absolutely essential and that things like customer agreements, receipts, proof of insurance, proof of license, and written record of all relevant information are provided to each of my customers.

I planned to do the best I could and take my time and get the experience and learn right, not quick, but then I had my engine in my truck blow up. My truck has been in the shop for two weeks and its costing me $4,000 plus I lost my job because I couldn’t make it to work and do the things I needed to do without a car. So now I need to get off my butt and step it up and learn as quickly as I can. I had about $8,000 saved in the bank for when I transfer to another university next semester but now I have $500. I will have my truck back in a few days and I have a budget of $400 to work with. I still haven’t bought my insurance and I am unsure of how to go about it in the best way. I need to get my trailer re arranged, buy chemicals, insurance, and I am 100% confident I will discover multiple additional things I need to purchase that I have not accounted for.

It would really help me out if I could get some personal guidance. I can read a book in a day, and I got plenty to read but I got a big wake up when I went to this site; the most important things I need to know I won’t learn from books and definitely not the pressure washers around here. I plan to only accept residential jobs at this point in time (I have commercial accounts that are ready to sign contracts but I don’t know what I’m doing and can’t risk that). My entire county is basically a huge retirement community with around 60% of the homes being $200K+ and those will be my initial customers. I have $400 of business lined up and my goal is to try to get on the road in 10 days. In 10 days its make or break time. If you find time to reply back you will help bring me closer to my goal; To provide residents of my own county with high quality power washing done in a professional manner and to put all of the local idiots pressure washing out of business.

Dont forget your signature.

Customer service is easy. Do what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it and fix mistakes quickly and without hesitation.

The equipment is secondary to your success. A new business owner has to make sure he has his/her ducks lined up and a way to make that phone ring. Spend some time in the marketing and advertising sections. Ask questions as they arise but not before reading everything. We'll see you in a week to ten days ;-)

Welcome to TGS.

Oh and get a nice website built, nothing screams credibility more than a nice website and getting your company branded, sounds like you are well on your way, meaning the logo, painted truck, logo-ed shirts, painted equipment. First impressions are everything in the world today. It is much harder to win the customer over if they already have a bad preconceived opinion about you, so set their expectations before they even pickup the phone to schedule an estimate.

One word of advice, just stick to a certain area to start. As a newbie as well, there is simply too much to learn to be a master at everything right out of the gates. Focus your work on either house washing: siding, flat work, not roofs for starters because those take specified equipment to do properly = Massive investment to get into the roof market. I am personally going to focus in the wood restoration area and will only try to up-sell a siding cleaning. These are the only services, at this point, that i feel confident that i can provide a top quality service.

The most under looked aspect of starting this business is proper marketing. THIS IS HUGE TO YOUR SUCCESS!

You need to figure out how you are going to do: bids, contracts, follow-up calls, scheduling, and collection.

My $.02 so best of luck!

good info little buddy but i would not say that getting into roof cleaning is a "massive investment". go to pressuretek.com and bob has roof cleaning packages that are very affordable and efficient. you can get your money back on the smaller package with very little effort. if you buy a diaphragm then my choice is the fatboy. it has served my needs very well.

good luck,

rando

$1,600-2,500 for a specialized roof unit is expensive for me at this point. It looks like it would make roof cleaning fun! My plan is to start with my wood division. Then add on the Residential Division.

I want to have two trailers, two enclosed pace american silver arrow 18', with custom paint jobs on them. One for Wood Division, and the other for Residential Division (roof, siding, flat work, gutters).

I have a feeling i wont be able to get either this next summer. I can really only afford 2x1000 mailer campaigns at this point. I have no idea what my return is going to be using a targeted list. I am hoping for at least 10-15 wood jobs from these mailers.

Sorry for the pointless rambling, but i just thought of a few questions to ask.

First, for those of you who handout surveys, how do you collect them?

Second, when someone calls wanting an estimate, i was wondering how you schedule the estimate. Meet with the home owner or just show up during the day. I AM LOOKING FOR THE VERBIAGE ON THIS ONE, not if you do one or the other.

Would you say something like, "Powerwash Solutions, this is Joe. Hi, I'm calling to get an estimate for a deck restoration.......... Sounds good, i know you are probably busy so I will stop and take the measurements Friday and email you the quote later that day. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me. Thanks and have a great day."

This is a bit crappy, but how do you answer the question "so do i have to be there" or better yet, how do you answer that question before they even ask it?

Much Thanks, Joe

$1,600-2,500 for a specialized roof unit is expensive for me at this point

Joe, my roof setup cost very little (under $500). A Delavan pump, hose reel and some 5/8" hose. Works great.

When someone calls wanting an estimate, i was wondering how you schedule the estimate. Meet with the home owner or just show up during the day. I AM LOOKING FOR THE VERBIAGE ON THIS ONE, not if you do one or the other.

How do you answer the question "so do i have to be there" or better yet, how do you answer that question before they even ask it?

Much Thanks, Joe

I only insist on meeting the customers on the jobs that I intend/desire to sell.

Scenario 1:

me: "Sure, I can help you with that, I am going to be in your area later this week, what day works for you so that we can go over the project together so that I make sure that I understand what you want done?"

We select a time that works for both of us.

Results: 68% close rate for Aug/Sept. (The vast majority on the spot)

Or: Scenario 2:

them: "Just look at it and send/call/mail me a price"

me: "My customer satisfaction is higher when I evaluate the project with the owner"

If they still do not have time to meet, I will be happy to provide them a preliminary proposal by email after they email me pictures of what they want done.

Hi Paul here .

The only and most important comment that i have and no one told you is, that it's not the PSI that cleans but the GPM

I have seen and heard to many o yeah i have 4000 psi can do anything with that,when theire done go back and look and see all the wood they fussed up and all the lines they left and or all the paint they distroyed,best cleaning is a ballance between the right cleaning solution and the right pressure .

Second do not lowball any jobs, because you will end up with more jobs that make you no money ,and you will see you will b,tch till there is no end.

Other than that call me any time.

Paul.

Extreme Seal Inc.

Tel 813-679-9703