Sign in to follow this  
Little Buddy

Phone Estimate

What do you guys do when someone calls asking for an estimate?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys do when someone calls asking for an estimate?

• setup the estimate with them there
    • schedule a time to do the estimate, but leave the option to meet with them

Question

I have been working on a general script when someone calls for an estimate. During this phone conversation, i want to accomplish a few things. The first is to screen the customer to determine if they are a price shopper or someone who shops on quality and convenience. I would do this by telling them my average pricing for the selected service. If they scream, that saved me time and money in gas not going to do the estimate. If they don't scream, i can continue to screen them. Next, my goal is to schedule the estimates on a Friday so i can map them out to be as efficient as possible. I want to tell them that they don't have to be there, without flat out telling them they don't have to be there. If they say. "I’m not going to be there, Friday doesn't’t work for me", this basically means "i want to be there because i have no idea who you are", so i will try and setup the estimate for next Friday. If i struggle to setup a time to do the estimate with them after that point, this is telling me i really don't want to work with them either.

Like i said this is just a rough outline of what i was tinking of using. Have some small talk, but continue to get a feel for the customer and what they want done. Set their expectations on how my business works (email estimates, convenient because they don't have to be there, blah blah blah). If they are there Friday, i will just tell them i will email their estimate later that evening and continue to talk about the process, quality, and what ever else.

So tell me what you think of the pre-sceening verbiage.

The First Call For An Estimate

Hi this is Joe.

Hi this is Eric Hanley, um I was calling to see if you can give an estimate for a house wash?

Hi, yea we can give you an estimate on that. Just to give me a better idea of what we’re talking about here, can you tell me what’s going on with your siding.

Sure, there is a lot of mold/mildew on a couple sides, and some dirt and debris on the rest of the house.

Well, I can’t give you an exact estimate without seeing the siding just because there are a lot of variables; however, I can say the lowest you can expect is around $350 and usually it doesn't’t go any higher than $550 or so.

If you’re still interested, I can stop by and take a closer look this Friday, and send you the estimate later that evening.

I’m not going to be there, Friday doesn't work for me.

That’s ok. It isn’t critical that you are there, but if you’re more comfortable being there to discuss any questions or concerns, we could set up a time next Friday evening. Would this work for you?

Sure, I can set aside Friday evening.

Great, so what is the best number to reach you at?

715-781-5565

And the address where the work is to be done, and a name and e-mail address I can send the invoice too.

1687a west church rd star prairie, wi and lindbejb@uwec.edu

Alright, I just was wondering if you had the time to browse our website at all?

Yes, I did actually. I really like the before and after photo gallery. I also like all the information that is there.

The photo gallery is my favorite part too. Previous customers’ are really happy and surprised when I ask them if I can use their before and after pictures to add to my gallery. It is fun to watch someone’s house, roof, or deck transform so quickly.

Great, so I will see you Friday evening then. If you have any questions before then, you can reach me at 715-781-5565. Thank you and I hope you have a great day.

35 answers to this question

I will not give an estimate on the phone for the simple reason I have been burned. You usually get to the job to find things were not as explained or oh yea, this needs to be cleaned and this. I forgot about those, will you do it for the same price? By meeting the people you may decide to bail. You may charge more. You may get the concrete or deck also. I ak them who I will be bidding against? The last lady said everybody in the phone book. I told her if she did not feel she has not had all of questions answered to call me.

Over 50% of my estimates are given over the phone without ever meeting the customer in person, or without seeing the property first hand. It's worked out really well for my business. They love the fact that we can expedite the quote and schedule the work so fast. When customers call for our services soon isn't soon enough. Meeting face to face has it's advantages, but you'd be surprised at what can be accomplished (sales wise) over the phone.

Great thread. I stopped doing "In Person" estimates 2 years ago and made our "Net" jump 14%. Of course this is for house washing only, which is most of what we do. Increased prices this year and still closing high 60% range. Yes I too have a "Script" I go by, and seems to work pretty well.

But this has been achieved by 5 years of hard work in our market, high visibility in our market, and high web presence in our market. Most customers that call already know who we are, either by referral, web search, or saw one of our trucks. They just want to "Validate" their decision to chose our Company by speaking to some one.

You guys that give estimates over the phone and the client is not gonna be home when you do the work, what do you do when you show up to do the job and the house is in real bad shape oxidation like crazy??

You guys that give estimates over the phone and the client is not gonna be home when you do the work, what do you do when you show up to do the job and the house is in real bad shape oxidation like crazy??

It'll be really oxidized when I leave. But clean. I try to do as many phone sales as possible. I usually follow the phone sale up with an emailed proposal which includes all the standard boiler plate language/disclaimers/warranty.

Wash it, collect money, go to the next house.