Sign in to follow this  
Illumination

Armstrong Clark vs. Ready Seal vs. Woodrich Timberoil

I would really like to hear the pros and cons of these stains as all 3 seem to have dedicated users who swear by them.

Would really appreciate replies from each fanbase as to why they prefer them, what they don't like about the others. As to ease of application for a novice as I, to ease of maintenance, to beauty.

This is an awesome site with great people on it and I truly appreciate and value the info and time you all share with me.

I've been using Ready Seal for 6 years now and it's definetly our favorite sealer. Why did I choose Ready Seal?

I won't risk my companies reputation on new products that don't have a history of use and maintenance in my area. I won't use products that the manufacturer is constantly making changes to without notifying me. I won't use products that can be bought in a hardware store. I won't use surface coating products.

I've been using Ready Seal for 6 years now and it's definetly our favorite sealer. Why did I choose Ready Seal?

I won't risk my companies reputation on new products that don't have a history of use and maintenance in my area. I won't use products that the manufacturer is constantly making changes to without notifying me. I won't use products that can be bought in a hardware store. I won't use surface coating products.

Thank you very much for your words. It is a plus for RS. Your reasoning is sound. Please people do more of this for me...Thanx

I won't risk my companies reputation on new products that don't have a history of use and maintenance in my area. I won't use products that the manufacturer is constantly making changes to without notifying me.

The same applies in my book to Armstrong Clark, Very good product, as is Ready Seal. Have used them both, prefer AC., same formula for over 8 years, proven quality track record, as is RS. Find AC more versatile application wise. My largest issue with RS was odor, in the redwood only formula, dont know if the reg. formula smells the same or not.

Edited by acegot

Max,

We have been using Ready Seal, almost exclusively, for the past 7 years. Very easy to apply, with no lapping or uneven areas. A paraffin oil based stain, there is no need to clean brushes or sprayers after use. Conditions and preserves most woods as the oil penetrates into the substrate. Readily available from distributors or the manufacturer. Terrific customer service. Maintenance is a quick bleach/soap/water low pressure wash, followed by a single application of more oil.

Downside is, when preparing a deck for the first time, the wood must be very dry prior to staining. Very old, dried out wood will take a lot of stain.

I had to laugh when I saw the comment about the smell. I used to use a product called ABRx100 before I switched to Ready Seal, man that stuff could put you in the dog house for weeks..lol

Ready Seal doesn't bother me at all, it just smells like money!

Beth...would love to hear why AC ranks so well with you and what are its advantages over RS and/or Woodrich?

So far it seems RS is garnering more support

So please all camps pitch in and give me your whys...thank you all so much

You are liable to get more uncertain which product will suit you best the more opinions you get. I prefer a drying oil to lock in fungicides. There are advantages to having a non drying oil as it tends to "condition" wood and create a hydrophobic environment deeper in the wood. Armstrong Clarke has the best of both worlds is contains both types of oils and is easy to use.

I would really like to hear the pros and cons of these stains as all 3 seem to have dedicated users who swear by them.

Would really appreciate replies from each fanbase as to why they prefer them, what they don't like about the others. As to ease of application for a novice as I, to ease of maintenance, to beauty.

This is an awesome site with great people on it and I truly appreciate and value the info and time you all share with me.

Are you hiring a contractor to do this work and just want info so when you talk to them or are you going to do the work?

great BB for advise on wood

Are you hiring a contractor to do this work and just want info so when you talk to them or are you going to do the work?

great BB for advise on wood

Sorry but did not follow "great bb advice on wood" ???

Due to finances as I spent my savings on the property and renovations...including the decks...am disabled on fixed income...but want a pretty finish that will protect and keep my deck beautiful with ease of reapplication maintenance.

Thank you all for your time.

Max, have you contacted any of the suppliers on this forum yet for samples as I suggested? Sunbrite supply has sample kits of RS's colors for like 8.00 bucks.

Samples will give you solid answers from your very own standpoint. The vendors are happy to help as well. Give it a shot.

I have to agree with Ken, in that too many products and opinions might make decision harder.

Beth...would love to hear why AC ranks so well with you and what are its advantages over RS and/or Woodrich?

So far it seems RS is garnering more support

So please all camps pitch in and give me your whys...thank you all so much

Take a look at some of the Armstrong Clark threads on here....try the search feature. We love the blend of non-drying and drying oils, best of both worlds.

We used to use Ready Seal, were not fans, but really like the Armstrong Clark.

Beth

Take a look at some of the Armstrong Clark threads on here....try the search feature. We love the blend of non-drying and drying oils, best of both worlds.

We used to use Ready Seal, were not fans, but really like the Armstrong Clark.

Beth

Beth, do you think geographical areas, i.e. North vs. South states may have something to do with your dislike of RS. Up North you guys get snow and inclimate weather much more than we do in the south ( Texas anyways.)

Does RS just not work as well up north?

Or am I just way off base.

I really am curious to know as I have asked this question before.

It seems if the wood is continuously cold then it may stop the penetration factor. Whereas maybe with warmer climates wood expands a bit and allows penetration.

Or like I said, I may just be way off base.

I know Rick P. is in Jersey and they get alot of the colder weather as well but he swears by it.

I prefer a longer lasting oil. I also like an oil that dries. Armstrong Clark has both drying and nondrying oils, the drying oil locks the color in closer to the surface, thus it is longer lasting....

Beth

Beth, do you think geographical areas, i.e. North vs. South states may have something to do with your dislike of RS. Up North you guys get snow and inclimate weather much more than we do in the south ( Texas anyways.)

Does RS just not work as well up north?

Or am I just way off base.

I really am curious to know as I have asked this question before.

It seems if the wood is continuously cold then it may stop the penetration factor. Whereas maybe with warmer climates wood expands a bit and allows penetration.

Or like I said, I may just be way off base.

I know Rick P. is in Jersey and they get alot of the colder weather as well but he swears by it.

Adrian,

Straight paraffin oil stains, ie. RS, some TWP's, Baker's, TimberOil, penetrate quite well in colder weather. We stained two 1 yr. old ipe' decks yesterday. The temps were in the high 40's to low 50's during a cloudy day and the wood took a good amount of oil. Will be back at the job site this morning to strip some cedar on another part of the property and will see if the ipe' needs a quick "wipe down" or, though doubtful, another light oiling.

Tested A-C rustic brown on my own ipe' last year. It certainly lasted as long and held its color on this tough wood as a previous application as RS. Subjectively, on ipe', in this one case, there was little difference in longevity.

We do have a fairly large "test" cedar deck also done with 2 coats of A-C rustic brown stained in the summer of 2008. It looked very good when checked this past spring, and I'll see how the A-C has held up next summer at the expected 2 yr. maintenance mark.