Sign in to follow this  
JOgden

Remove fuel oil spill from cement

There are many ways, however if you are not using or cannot use a high temp pressure washer, I have heard the Coke a Cola works well. Also dawn soap.

One is an " Soft " acid, the other is a high Ph detergent.

Though I have NEVER tried them.

We're looking at a house that has recently had a small (gallon or two) of fuel oil on a basement floor. How would you clean up the oil and smell?

Thanks,

Since you say basement I am guessing that the floor is concrete.

It might take a while to get the smell out but I would put down some kitty litter there and grind it in with your feet to help it soak up as much as possible, actually you could even use flour (for cooking), it is a powder and will absorb oil also.

Let this soak up for a few days then repeat a few times then get some very hot water and dawn soap and mop the area, get rid of the mop water and do it again a few times.

After that then most of the smell should be gone, if not then time to do this again and/or look at the powdered enzyme petroleum cleaners.

The concrete is probably rather porous and it won't be possible to get all of it out... ever.

Advise the client you can get most of it the first application as described above, and tell them you can get most of what is remaining on a return trip after a few months.

If they are sensitive, as some folks are, be sure to advise them it will always be there at least a little bit. (The wet season each year could float a bit more up.)

Once the pay you for a return trip, upon leaving you could give them a small bag of kitty litter, (the secret weapon), and advise them to apply it for a week next time it begins to surface noticeably.

Good luck

A local HVAC supply house will have a odor neutralizer for fuel oil. This is a very common issue with oil burner techs. And no, hd or lowes does not carry it.

The concrete is probably rather porous and it won't be possible to get all of it out... ever.

Advise the client you can get most of it the first application as described above, and tell them you can get most of what is remaining on a return trip after a few months.

If they are sensitive, as some folks are, be sure to advise them it will always be there at least a little bit. (The wet season each year could float a bit more up.)

Once the pay you for a return trip, upon leaving you could give them a small bag of kitty litter, (the secret weapon), and advise them to apply it for a week next time it begins to surface noticeably.

Good luck

Kitty litter clumps, sticks to your boots and gets tracked all over. For the same price, the automotive parts house has a 50 # bag of Diamataceous Earth, also know as floor dry. It is made of clay and dead sea animals. Apply, grind into the concrete with your boot and sweep up. It also cleans concrete of normal shop dirt. Put your lable on an empty can and leave some with the customer.

Portland cement. Spread it on. Cover with plastic (that will help draw it up).Let it stand for a day or two and sweep it up. Then spray with natural enzymmes (ZEP's commercial section).

Hi, I am wondering if putting some sort of sealant on the cement would help at all? If so what type of sealant should be used on a basement floor?

So far to clean the oil sill I've used:

• SimpleGreen
  • Strong Degreaser
  • Kitty Litter
  • Swab power (rubbed it in)

The smell is still there.

Here's my personal .02.

You need a heavy duty degreaser, one with sodium hydroxide. NOTE: you are working in a basement that is likely not well ventilated. Get a mask and wear it. Be safe.

You can try something over the counter like easy off oven cleaner. It is very caustic, and meant to cut heavy grease. Let it sit a while (keep Marbles the cat OUT of the room) and then after it soaks scrub it with a stiff bristled brush. Wear gloves. When you wipe it up, let the area dry thoroughly. Evaluate the stain, and then you might need to clean it lightly with a solution of water that has bleach and TSP in it.

Are you going to cover the floor with carpet or VCT tile or wood laminate or anything? Is this going to be a functional rec-room or will it be unfinished for a long time? One thing you can look into: UGL - DRYLOK® Masonry - Masonry Waterproofer We used it on basement walls. Read the data sheet to see if you can use it on a floor.

You can also put down a self leveling concrete floor, and that will get rid of the smell. This is great if you plan to lay tile in the basement. I am not sure if a self leveling concrete floor alone will work if it is going to get prolonged traffic, it may be intended as a subfloor.

Also if you plan to use the existing concrete floor for traffic directly, then you might think about an acid wash after cleaning it, then coloring it. It's very much in style and inexpensive. ;) And later on you can floor over top of it.

Beth

p.s. I suggest the bleach and tsp because I image there is some level of mold or mildew on that floor that you should also deal with while you are at it, and cleaning the floor. Just get the whole thing clean and have a fresh slate....

Edited by Beth n Rod

You are right about Easy Off Beth.

It contains sodium hydroxide and may take a couple of applications.

I have suggested Easy Off to D.I.Yer's and oil stains on concrete for the fact that the hydroxide cuts the oil and grease.

They thought I was nuts until they tried it and it worked.

But it may take a couple of try's.

I have never mentioned it here because you folks might think i'm nuts. But it does work.

It works great for the ( ryhmes with weapos... who don't want my services ).

But we all know hydrox in bulk is the way to go.

Definately wear the respirator.

I can cure the Smell, call me and i will tell you. Its safe and will require very little effort and cost 6 dollars

Hi, I am wondering if putting some sort of sealant on the cement would help at all? If so what type of sealant should be used on a basement floor?

So far to clean the oil sill I've used:

• SimpleGreen
  • Strong Degreaser
  • Kitty Litter
  • Swab power (rubbed it in)

The smell is still there.

Thanks Beth and Adrian,

I will try your suggestions. Just to make sure, this will work for oil that has soaked into the concrete, right? You can rub it off with your hand as it has saturated. We haven't moved in yet so no worries on Marbles. :)

BTW, I wish we had people in our area that could help with this. :)

Edit: TSP, I assume you mean trisodium phosphate? If so, what/where can I buy this?

Edited by Ogden

Try the Easy Off first.

Yes that is the TSP I mean. Try a paint store...

Concrete is a porous substrate. The oil will probably leave somewhat of a shadow. Also consider the posts that specifically mention odor removal as well as oil removal. You may need to work at this from multiple angles to eliminate it. Just remember that if you and Robin plan to put a floor down, it needs to be as clean as possible.

Dwell time is your friend. take your time with this, do not rush, agitate the area as needed, it will not be a two minute or five minute job. The key to chemicals working for you, is time.

Beth

I used one can of Easy Off heavy duty last night in the darkest area and left it over night, I will clean it up tonight and see how it works. Like you said, the oil is in the pours of the cement and I don't think it's possible to get it completely out but I want to try some things before covering it up.

This area where the spill happened is in the corner of the basement where the oil tank sits; we plan on finishing off the other half of the basement at some point as the way it was designed one half is utilities (oil tank, boiler mate, furnace) and the other half is open with the exception of the well pump and electrical box.

I just wanted to post an update that using the Oven Off has helped with the smell. I also power washed the floor with degreaser and then sprayed it again with Oven Off- the smell is gone now however the stain is still there which is fine. Thanks again for the help.

My attached garage has had a couple of heating oil spills (about 10 gallons each time). The most recent one was about 4 months ago. At the time I blotted it up with newspaper and rags. Then several weeks later, prepped the floor with DRYLOK ETCH (Removes efflorescence, and etches concrete surfaces), power washed the floor, let it dry, then applied 2 coats of DRYLOK Masonry Waterproofer. There's been a distinct smell since (I thought it might be the paint itself but people have said they think it's the heating oil). We want to convert the garage into living space.

My Question: what can we do to eliminate the smell? Would a coat or 2 of epoxy paint help?

THANKS!

See the posts in the thread....good luck with your project.

Beth

p.s. there are probably epoxy products your could coat the floor with in various colors and with or without grit if that is your preference, depends on what you want to use the room for and what will make for the best resale in a house.

Edited by Beth n Rod