Sign in to follow this  
PressureWashE

Behr Stain - Removed - Cleaned - Stained

Question

Well we just finished up this deck today, and man I have to tell you, Behr Stain is really a Bear to remove.

A little History about this deck, The home owner has this cedar deck built in June of this year, in October he decided to stain his new deck himself. After he was done he quickly realized how bad his staining work looked and tried to strip it himself, that didnt work, so called us to remove this 2 month old stain, and re stain it with a lighter color.

Day 1 we spent stripping, applied 4 very hot mixes of Sodium Hydroxodie, and used a bit of pressure to scrape this krud off. It came off like paint, pieces were all over the yard and clumps of the stuff were stuck to everything. After thoroughly rinsing we applied 2 heavy coats of OX to neutralize and brighten the wood.

Day 2 we spent about 4 hours sanding the deck, and sanding peices of behr that would not come off.

Day 3 more sanding, and then finally the stain.

The customer chose Ready Seal Light Brown, While I kept urging the customer to choose a darker color they really liked the Light Brown.

Overall I think the deck came out great compared to what we were fixing. The homeowner was happy, and thats all that matter. I need to re paint their back door, Stripper got on the bottom part of the door and ate some paint..

I want to Thank Adrian @ ABC who assisted me on this deck, He really does know his wood.

post-5016-137772286287_thumb.jpg

post-5016-137772286292_thumb.jpg

post-5016-1377722863_thumb.jpg

22 answers to this question

I HATE BEHR. I promise you that.

I'll do my best to get a few that I took up on this thread as well John.

This had to be one of the worst case scenarios.

Did I mention I hate Behr?

I think John does too, after this one, HA.

Well we just finished up this deck today, and man I have to tell you, Behr Stain is really a Bear to remove.

A little History about this deck, The home owner has this cedar deck built in June of this year, in October he decided to stain his new deck himself. After he was done he quickly realized how bad his staining work looked and tried to strip it himself, that didnt work, so called us to remove this 2 month old stain, and re stain it with a lighter color.

Day 1 we spent stripping, applied 4 very hot mixes of Sodium Hydroxodie, and used a bit of pressure to scrape this krud off. It came off like paint, pieces were all over the yard and clumps of the stuff were stuck to everything. After thoroughly rinsing we applied 2 heavy coats of OX to neutralize and brighten the wood.

Day 2 we spent about 4 hours sanding the deck, and sanding peices of behr that would not come off.

Day 3 more sanding, and then finally the stain.

The customer chose Ready Seal Light Brown, While I kept urging the customer to choose a darker color they really liked the Light Brown.

Overall I think the deck came out great compared to what we were fixing. The homeowner was happy, and thats all that matter. I need to re paint their back door, Stripper got on the bottom part of the door and ate some paint..

I want to Thank Adrian @ ABC who assisted me on this deck, He really does know his wood.

Looks Great! Did you have any idea when pricing this job you would have this much time in the job?

I think you did a great job! I'm dealing with a Behr stained fence right now. This stuff is awful! How can something that looks so bad and is flaking off still hold on to the wood like it's riveted on there!?! Two hot strips so far and still a few cling-ons. Most definitely like stripping paint. I've laughed with the customer that they are now the proud owners of the "hardest fence to strip" award. Going back in a few days to stain it and try to match with new fence.

Actually yes, I priced accordingly so it worked out really well.

Gotta love it when that happens!

I dont know how many times Ive done a test spot, on what I thought would be the worst and hardest spot and gone to the job only to find there was another layer underneath of something worse.

Awesome strip job John.. looks great. I'm not a Ready Seal guy so when I say that floor looks like it could take another 5-6 gallons, I may be offbase.

It really could use another 7 gallons, but the customer wanteda really light color... I tried I know... lol

John & Adrian,

Awesome job, that is a very tough strip and restoration. Goes to show, with the correct chems, equipment, tenacity, and $ in the job, you can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

My sander was throwing belts on this one.

Seriously considering a walk behind sander after this one.

My back was shot.

I think my respirator disc is still caked solid with this stuff.

I have walked, no, ran away from decks like this.

But, John sold it. And it was a pretty good sell.

Nothing like getting your feet wet with the worst possible scenario.

They are all alot easier after you experience this kind of a mess.

John, If you want a light color and the wood needs more oil cut the light brown with clear and you still can go over it with just clear oil to better preserve the wood and obtain a light color. For light colors and a more Natural look I cut the colors with Clear RS. Preserving the wood correct the first time makes everything easier the next time. Not using the correct amount of oil the first time makes everything in the environment collects faster on top of the wood. Even though it's protected the surface will look crappy quicker.

I love Behr! Makes it easy to sell our services. If homeowners try it themselves, they quickly find out what they're up against. We likely do 50 Behr decks a year in KC area-It's everywhere.

I even got paid a consulting fee for a customer that was trying to get money back from Behr. I worked with 2 or 3 this year that were having success in going back on Behr for their failed warranties.

I think Adrian may be trying to tell us something...

I tell ya though, you were lucky that this was largely a horizontal strip.

I don't care to strip Behr when it is on rails.

I don't mind when a product is difficult to strip provided it was holding up well and still looks good, but when the color is inconsistent with the picture on the label most consumers use to judge by, that is when I hold a grudge.

Behr and I go way back and it has predominately been a thorn in most peoples sides. The exception being their White solid color stain. Pro's and Con's is;

Pro- it lasts a long time

Pro/con - it is nearly impossible to strip off

Con - if there is any mildew present when applied, it will forever be a reoccurring problem.

The rest of the semi-trans line ages miserably and while difficult to strip off, it looks bad after a year, necessitating the need for removal due to splotchiness on reapplications for maintenance.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod