Sign in to follow this  
sweetwaterfish

You get what you pay for...

Question

One of my frequent Realtors called me for a bid. In all fairness, as a new startup company (not new to the business), my rates are fairly low, but my work is very professional. Relocation company was ordering/paying for work, required 3 bids. 3000 SQF EIFS/Stucco, 20x20 deck, and 75' driveway, 30' walkway, roof blown off, but not washed.

My bid was $396 after Realtor Discount. Was told I likely had the job, as she didn't see how 3rd bid (which was late getting in) could be any lower than mine. Work had to be done on a Sunday.

Of course, third company (one she had never used before) bid eventually came in just before deadline, and WAS lower than mine. Relocation company of course went with low bid. I was in area two days later and drove by the house to see the job quality of my competition, and I am fuming mad!

Nothing I can do about it, checks already been cut to these shysters.

What would you do?

post-5705-137772288789_thumb.jpg

post-5705-13777228881_thumb.jpg

post-5705-137772288829_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

I would be tempted to offer to redo it as a favor for the Realtor. It will make you a hero for them, but they have to promise to allow you to bid against "real" pressure washers.

I would be tempted to offer to redo it as a favor for the Realtor. It will make you a hero for them, but they have to promise to allow you to bid against "real" pressure washers.

Thats not a bad idea at all. I bet you end up being their only go to guy after they see what you can do compared to Mr. this bone head.

I offer Realtors a 20% discount on listed properties

Ray

She's not happy at all with the work (obviously) and the cleaner has been very unresponsive about going back and cleaning it correctly ( surprise!!!!). I like the idea about taking it on the chin and doing it for free. She with the area's largest office, so I'll get some really good mileage if I did that! I may just do that this weekend depending on my schedule.

Just what I was thinking as well.

Re-Do it for free. You will have her business for a long long time.

The competition will not stand a chance after your efforts and she will not even consider taking their call.

LTV man, take care of them now and you will have them for a long time.

Don't do it for free, they have already made their choice. Just put those pictures in your folio. Do not make any reference to the company who did the work. And do not come down on the price. As your book is filled with pictures of your professional work, you will get busy.

I'd do a spot or section to show the realtor the difference. Then ask your price! My experience with realtors is they always go with the lowest price, not so much the quality. That is sad.

Edited by gutterdog

OK heres my thought for what its worth...

Take lots of pictures for realtor showing inadequate work,\

Have realtor stop payment on check,

You redo for same price minus stop check fees cost to realtor

This way you make some money, realtor loses no money, and you come out as the stand up kind of guy/business.

again...just a thought

Prep for sale washes are tough to gauge. If the ho calls we usually do alright. If a realtor calls it ends up being a pain.

Luckily I've only had a few realtor calls this year, one booked the job and then cancelled day before it was scheduled. Another booked a job and I'm still waiting for payment from the seller, 3 weeks now.

They chose the lowball price and arent happy with the work, and you are considering re-doing it for free?They have to learn their lesson the hard way,when the homeowners climbs their butt's.I wouldn't do it for free, no way.Why didn't you do it for free to begin with?if you want to get in then get in.

I don't see how saving someone who went cheaps butt helps you.

One of my frequent Realtors called me for a bid. In all fairness, as a new startup company (not new to the business), my rates are fairly low, but my work is very professional. Relocation company was ordering/paying for work, required 3 bids. 3000 SQF EIFS/Stucco, 20x20 deck, and 75' driveway, 30' walkway, roof blown off, but not washed.

My bid was $396 after Realtor Discount. Was told I likely had the job, as she didn't see how 3rd bid (which was late getting in) could be any lower than mine. Work had to be done on a Sunday.

Of course, third company (one she had never used before) bid eventually came in just before deadline, and WAS lower than mine. Relocation company of course went with low bid. I was in area two days later and drove by the house to see the job quality of my competition, and I am fuming mad!

Nothing I can do about it, checks already been cut to these shysters.

What would you do?

Nice Job

John, I learned that lesson. The homeowner signs the contract. It doesn't eliminate your risk but if the person tried to make settlement within 65 days of the wash and they haven't paid, I will be at the closing with lien in hand.

"3000 SQF EIFS/Stucco, 20x20 deck, and 75' driveway, 30' walkway, roof blown off, but not washed.. My bid was $396."

Wow.. If you got beat at those rates its time to find a new source of job leads. Obviously your discounts do not make them loyal to you.

They chose the lowball price and arent happy with the work, and you are considering re-doing it for free?They have to learn their lesson the hard way,when the homeowners climbs their butt's.I wouldn't do it for free, no way.Why didn't you do it for free to begin with?if you want to get in then get in.

I don't see how saving someone who went cheaps butt helps you.

Hmm....;)

This is kinda the same and not. 'Bout a month ago I had an estimate for a gutter clean in prob the richest neighborhood in PG county. Never been in there. Gated comunity, he wrote down my tag and all. Kept tellin my helper THIS is where we want to be etc!!! The houses freakin huge!!! Got to the house. Walked around it a bird flew outa one of the gutters (it had a cheap gutter guard, no end caps) The guard was cut short here and too long there, spikes coming out... I knew I wasnt gonna get this job because I would be too much. Judging by what he bought etc... He was a tight wad. The roof had thick moss on it....lol!!! Somethin said to just not bother with it! LOL