Sign in to follow this  
firepaint

Deck cleaning. What am I missing?

Question

I left the company I was painting for about 5 months ago to start my own business. I have been painting/pressure washing for 4+ years. I’ve been washing decks using a pump sprayer, deck brush, tire brush (for spindles and corners) and a pressure washer (with low pressure). I’ve used BM’s Clean and krud kutter. After I wet the deck I spray it down with cleaner, scrub with a deck brush, and finally rinse with the pressure washer. I am finding that more often than I would like I have to go back and do a second round of cleaning to get the job done right. If I’ve got to go back and do everything twice I will, but feel like I am missing something or doing something wrong.

If anyone has any recommendations as to what I am missing or doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it. Any cleaning products recommendations or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

16 answers to this question

Ed, welcome. I'll try to be gentile here, but you really need to use the search function at the top of the site for the answers you're looking for. Try a search for "deck cleaning" or "deck washing". You'll find a months worth of info, and good advice. If you need more specific answers, pictures always bring advice. Good luck..

You need to use that powerwasher to soft-wash off your chems, not rinse after scrubbing, with the right chems there is no need for scrubbing. Why use the p-washer if your not goiing to utilize it. As Mike said, use the search tool.

Before you start reading for the next month - just throw out all your chems and buy a bunch of oxiclean, you won't get half bad results with the methods you are using now. I am not saying that it is totally professional - but it will get that next deck on your schedule done ten times easier.

(strip)F18 (clean)F10 from pressuretek.com. Spray it on with a pump sprayer or what ever you want. Let it sit. Use the pressure washer( white tip) to clean off the crud. Do not stop on the wood, keep the wand moving.

Call me if you like, Dane

Another deck painter,,,,shaking head.....all due respect but doing decks isn't like painting and pressure washing isn't like paint prepping with a PW. People try to confused the two sometimes but as Celeste stated above.....theres a difference. Ones nothing like the other there two different animals. You have to start all over like learning a new trade. The only thing that carries over I can think is, how to start the pressure washer.

Hello to all. Another newbie here.( I'm sure you're all thrilled.) I've been lurking around for the last few months trying to gain as much info as possible. The vast amount of info in these forums is PRICELESS. I want to thank everyone for all the help. Now I'll go back to my searching and reading. Maybe soon I can become a contributor.

Thanks, Slim

Hello to all. Another newbie here.( I'm sure you're all thrilled.) I've been lurking around for the last few months trying to gain as much info as possible. The vast amount of info in these forums is PRICELESS. I want to thank everyone for all the help. Now I'll go back to my searching and reading. Maybe soon I can become a contributor.

Thanks, Slim

Welcome to TGS.

Please go to your "my controls" and give us an idea of who we are talking to. House Rules.

Unless of course your real name is Slim1151.

You will get better responses if we know who we are talking to.

Again, welcome to TGS.

. After I wet the deck I spray it down with cleaner, scrub with a deck brush, and finally rinse with the pressure washer.

For one thing do not pre wet the deck before applying the stripper. You want the stripper hitting the deck as strong as you make it and not trying to guess how much the already wet wood is diluting it. Be sure you are using enough stripper and let it sit (dwell) for about 20 minutes.

The hell with the chemicals, throw them away. Blast the wood with 3000 psi, splinter the crap out of it then apply thompsons water seal. Thats how we work in joisey lol!!! No but seriously, we would strip using hd80, neutralize with citrilic then apply a good sealer (NOT THOMPSONS OR BEHR) we prefer wolmans because we are certified by them and it can be picked up locally.