cleanhoods

Its MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christian or not  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Christian or not

• I am a Christian soldier for Christ and Merry Christmas
    • I dont believe in Christmas or Christ so Happy Holiday

Question

Merry Christmas all.I just dont understand the human race they are so scared. What is it you forgot your parents values? happy holiday????? Man be a soldier for Christ dont let this brain wash bull take this country over.This is on purpose all slowly but surely the Christian fath is being taking away from all.Be a soldier i know i am.So everywhere you go dont be a wuss and say happy holiday be a soldier and tell everyone Merry Christmas. We as Christians are at war all and we cannot stand here and watch this happen stand up and put your armor on and lets fight this.

Unless you are just in from Mars, you can hardly have escaped noticing the nationwide campaign to eliminate all references to Christmas from the public square. Not only is government allegedly forbidden, under the First Amendment, to countenance the erection of Christmas trees, let alone creches, on public property. Even purely private institutions dealing with the public, such as department stores, are under heavy pressure to avoid participating in activities involving Christmas symbols (Christmas trees, again). Even ordinary public chatter is being cleansed of allusions to Christmas, supposedly to avoid hurting the feelings of non-Christians. Hence "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," and so on.

Who is behind this campaign, and why is it happening just now? By far the biggest institutional promoter of the purge of Christmas from the public square is the American Civil Liberties Union, which endorses the interpretation of the First Amendment as forbidding the slightest taint of religion in our public life. (There are other interpretations, which conclude that the First Amendment merely forbids the federal government to establish an official state church, as several of the original states had done; but in the 20th century the courts adopted the ACLU view, and lately have been enforcing it with increasing vigor.)

This position has the effect of making atheists the default beneficiaries of the First Amendment. Now, atheists represent only a small portion of the population (numbers are difficult to come by, but 10 percent would be a generous estimate), but they are an extremely influential group, heavily represented in various intellectual elites. Hitherto they have chosen to stay safely below the radar screen of public consciousness, but in recent years a significant number of them have begun speaking out more frankly. (The Dec. 17 New York Times Book Review contains a full-page ad by Alfred Knopf & Co. urging readers to "This year, give the gift of reason: the courageous, bestselling book that challenges religious dogma -- 'Letter to a Christian Nation' by Sam Harris.")

The argument between atheists and religious advocates has, of course, been going on a long time. All that has happened is that, in the United States today, the atheists have acquired at last the critical mass, or perhaps just the intestinal fortitude, to engage their adversaries openly. The dispute has promptly taken political form, and most of the atheists have found haven in the Democratic Party, which tends to treat them as just another victimized minority. The Republicans, conversely, have benefited from the support of many religious advocates, who respond favorably to sympathetic references to "family values," etc. (There is, however, an ultra-libertarian wing of the GOP that leans toward atheism, and of course many Democrats haven't yet given up on religion.)

The upshot is that the battle is now out in the open. The loud complaints you hear in the media about the "theocons," the Religious Right, etc., are simply the view of the atheists and their allies (people who, though not atheists themselves, have bought the argument that the First Amendment requires them to behave that way in public). Throughout its history, the United States has tolerated a good deal of public religious activity -- all of it well short, it should be stressed, of establishing an official religion. But a battle has now begun to eliminate all such activity, and the courts seem disposed to look on the attempt with favor.

Of course, in a nation as overwhelmingly religious as the United States, one impulse is simply to disregard such efforts as beneath notice. And it is certainly true that, as a people, we oppose the official establishment of any religion, and seek only comity among the many religions represented here (and for that matter with the atheists, too). But it surely cannot be terribly offensive to wish even non-Christians a "Merry Christmas," when all that means is that the wisher believes that something happened in a Palestinian manger 2,000 ago that, properly understood, would give everyone reason to be merry.

Marko

11 answers to this question

Christmas is special to all who observe and celebrate it as it means something special to each.

We are fortunate enough to live in a country that has freedom of religion. That in itself is a very important right imbued within the constitution for the purpose of avoiding the pitfalls of history where only certain religions were allowed and not all followed them, which led to wars and death.

I don't mind whatever religion is practiced, I just want to practice it in my own way according to my beliefs. Each of us in this country is free to do the same.

Religion is not something to be imposed upon a person but available instead for their ability to experience when they are ready for it. We all look to a higher power in times of need and when we are weak and it is in those times we realize just how small and insignificant we are in the presence of all that creation is and how much we really don't know or understand about it.

Something higher is at work at all times and for some, Christmas is a way of remembering that and we give to others in our own way. In America it is with presents, in other countries, it is food, clothing and help. I don't think of any of religion as right or wrong but as 'do' or 'no thanks, its not for me'.

I hope this holiday season, Christmas' spirit will touch anyone who is open to it and enjoy the experience.

Merry Christmas.

Rod!~

ps, the church is the first to come up with the shortened version of 'xmas'...hundreds of years ago.

Christmas traditions : the origins of Xmas and facts

The Origin of "Xmas"

Origin of X in Xmas - BETTER ANSWER

Edited by Beth n Rod

Another one I refuse to write...Merry Xmas...who the heck is "X"? Malcom?

Now that is a good example of xing out Christ.That was the start to remove the Christian faith good one Russ.

Marko

Christmas is special to all who observe and celebrate it as it means something special to each.

We are fortunate enough to live in a country that has freedom of religion. That in itself is a very important right imbued within the constitution for the purpose of avoiding the pitfalls of history where only certain religions were allowed and not all followed them, which led to wars and death.

I don't mind whatever religion is practiced, I just want to practice it in my own way according to my beliefs. Each of us in this country is free to do the same.

Religion is not something to be imposed upon a person but available instead for their ability to experience when they are ready for it. We all look to a higher power in times of need and when we are weak and it is in those times we realize just how small and insignificant we are in the presence of all that creation is and how much we really don't know or understand about it.

Something higher is at work at all times and for some, Christmas is a way of remembering that and we give to others in our own way. In America it is with presents, in other countries, it is food, clothing and help. I don't think of any of religion as right or wrong but as 'do' or 'no thanks, its not for me'.

I hope this holiday season, Christmas' spirit will touch anyone who is open to it and enjoy the experience.

Merry Christmas.

Rod!~

ps, the church is the first to come up with the shortened version of 'xmas'...hundreds of years ago.

Christmas traditions : the origins of Xmas and facts

The Origin of "Xmas"

Origin of X in Xmas - BETTER ANSWER

Now i stand corrected thanks for the info Rod. Neat. I really didnt know that. And your reply was very nice as well. Just what gets me is just completly taking out the word Christmas and replacing with happy holiday. The fact is it is Christmas just like Happy New Year is Happy New Year and so on. The holidays we have on our calender is marked and seperated for a reason . It would be funny to call all the holidays on our calender happy holiday. But the true fact of Christmas is together and happiness and the birth of the savior of all that want to be. With all that believe that is how i believe Christmas to be, Jesus would be very happy if all believed that way.

Marko

I would not let myself feel bumped by the term 'Happy Holidays'.

There are so many religions that have some sort of significance and celebration in the November, December and January months that the term became an all encompassing and inclusive one so that no one was left out.

I understand that as Americans, we have our favorites and it can feel like Christmas is being crowded out by all the others as Americas' ethnicity grows and the cultural integration spreads throughout our nation. But I keep in mind that we began as a nation of immigrants and it is this foundation which helped to grow our nation.

We keep Christmas in our hearts and that is what is important. Christ never meant anything of his teachings to be exclusive of anyone, but to be shared by those who would accept it and passed on to others who wanted to experience it. Hence the term 'fishers of men'.

Here is a list in case anyone is interested, of the holidays celebrated throughout the year all over our world:

Ethnic and Religious Cultural Holidays, Celebrations, and Festivals

*Merry Christmas* :lghohoho:

Rod!~

To me the term Happy Holidays seems like a way to be politically correct, when no one wants to offend someone who is not Christian. Personally, I always say Merry Christmas. If someone replies they are Jewish for example I simply then wish them a Happy Hanukkah. No harm done.

I once sent out Christmas Cards without a second thought to who was getting them. I sent one to a Jewish friend, and got a Hanukkah card back in return, which I displayed with my Christmas cards, since it came from the heart of the person sending it with the warmest of wishes.

So I mean no offense when I say with great joy, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Beth