Sign in to follow this  
Silverthorne

New twist in marketing or been there, done that?

Question

So, the economy is not all that. How am I going to market? Then it came to me. What if I were to market real estate agents like this... It's a tough time to sell a home so what is the cheapest way to make your homes more attractive then the rest of the homes out there? Nobody wants to spend money on a place with black and green flatwork etc. But it gets better. I'll clean your home for sale and won't accept payment until you receive your commission. I know there will be non payments involved and some homes simply won't sell. If 5% of jobs don't pay I would still be happy. But is it a good strategy? I am not sensitive so gimme your opinion and thanks in advance. BTW, I hate marketing but love to clean!! Bill

15 answers to this question

I love marketing and cleaning! Have to write up a contract somehow that is legal. So you get paid! Realtors I don't like. Sorry. Its like they are doing YOU a favor to choose you. So I don't know. Kickbacks are illegal or limited in many states.

This sucks so much! A clean house and roof sells quicker. Studies are there. A dirty exterior makes the possible buyer wary if, since maintenance on outside of home has been low............what 'bout the rest of the house?

The realtor that puts the house up and agrees with you. Well if another realtor sells the house... You out! I got this much figured out. Keep me informed. - Mike

IMO, it is not a good strategy. Target the sellers. It's easier.

Realtors do not part with their commissions to pay contractors.

However they can refer you to the seller.

I think its a good idea and during my extended tenure as a Realtor (10+ years) I have seen various contractors offer such payment options. Here are my concerns: 1) what is the average market time of listings in your area? 60, 90 or 180 days? Longer? Are you willing to wait that long to get paid? 2) Some agents are notorious for over pricing listings and those listing rarely sell. You could do a lot of work which doesn't result in $$$ if you tie up with those types.

Maybe you could compromise and offer a 120 day or at closing billing option (which ever comes first). However, if you bill at closing, expect to get punched in the wallet every now and again. You may get asked to negotiate your bill downward to make a closing work when money is tight for the seller.

Good luck!

I would addvertise to them and hope they pass your name on, and maybe even cut them some really good deals.

I think I would be a little skeptical about letting them pay later IF it sales. Could get a little sticky.

Hey your on the right track tho! Your thinking!!!!!

Not a good idea. You will get burned. If the deal falls through or the seller changes their mind you just did a free job. If they are to strapped to pay then I would pass.

Not a good idea. You will get burned. If the deal falls through or the seller changes their mind you just did a free job. If they are to strapped to pay then I would pass.

That's what I was trying to say. Deal directly with the seller.

Use the realtor to throw your name around to their clients, but don't expect a realtor to give you any of their commissions for a sale.

Bring the realtor office a box of donuts and biz cards and have them refer you to the customer.

Again....... IMO ( and I have gone that route pretty extensively) you will never get a dime from a realtor.

Try Property mgt. companies with greater success. They like donuts too.

I like the thought of a limit on the time of sale preceeding payment. Also, and I should have thought of this before, the owner/seller would be easier to get payment from and I like the idea of drawing up a contract. Researching the time of homes on the market is a good suggestion. I would like to give it a go with some of the forums' advice and see where it takes me. Thanks much, Bill

I like the thought of a limit on the time of sale preceeding payment. Also, and I should have thought of this before, the owner/seller would be easier to get payment from and I like the idea of drawing up a contract. Researching the time of homes on the market is a good suggestion. I would like to give it a go with some of the forums' advice and see where it takes me. Thanks much, Bill

Target the seller, or even the buyer after the sale.

But you sometimes have to experiment on your own to get a feel of what works for you. And what works for you might not work for someone else for various reasons, market geo, economy.

I think we all have shared your thoughts at one point and tried innovative ways to make money in this industry. But I believe, you will prosper by targeting the seller or the buyer.

However a good word from a realtor never hurts. Especially when you present some swag to them. They will remember you for it.

The down side is that you will be waiting a long time for them to refer you to a seller or at least the right seller.

That is time that could be spent on direct sales face to face.

Edited by Adrian

I was considering a somewhat similar approach. Donuts of course and fliers that speak of how clean homes sell quicker and for a higher price and offer the realtor a $25 gift card if they contact us to schedule an estimate for their sellers that results in a job of $250 or more. Hopefully they sell the house faster, make more commission and get some free Red Lobster!

Daniel Simmons

Pressure Washing Houston Texas

Dan Kennedy... THE best marketer I know once said, "Poor people get paid after they do the work, Rich people get paid BEFORE they do the work". Figure this out in your marketing and your business will change.

I was considering a somewhat similar approach. Donuts of course and fliers that speak of how clean homes sell quicker and for a higher price and offer the realtor a $25 gift card if they contact us to schedule an estimate for their sellers that results in a job of $250 or more. Hopefully they sell the house faster, make more commission and get some free Red Lobster!

Daniel Simmons

Daniel, be careful with the gift card idea, check state Regs. It may be against the law for Brokers to accept gift cards. Instead get your foot in the door with donuts, and then sell them on the idea of referring you to their clients. When we designed our website, we put in a page for Brokers.

Daniel Simmons

What I understand is there is a $30 limit in my state to "kickback" as a thank you for a job or referal.

Edited by gutterdog