Sign in to follow this  
Jim Gamble

When do you stop is the question.....

Question

As most of you know, we invested a great deal of money for our filtration unit to preform for many days in a row at 40 GPM's without to worry about sludge build up or clogging of the filters. To exceed all EPA requirements in all 50 states.

So we are now over budget on all of the upgrades by about $12,000. Not a big deal, but when do you stop is the question.

We went to get the powder coating done on our trailer which measures at 101 inches wide and 24 ft long. Because of the extra supports needed for the water, the trailer weighs in around 4,500 LBS. with no equipment on it. This makes it difficult to maneuver inside a oven.

We had a powder coating company that we dealt with and have agreed on pricing. The day we went to deliver, we noticed they were closed. They went bankrupt. So we found someone else but they are twice the price.

Question, Should we pay Double the price for powder coating on the filtration unit trailer OR should we use Line X in a yellow color?

What is the benefits of both? Powder Coating is an excellent product. Lasts for many years or line x which is less expensive by about $2,300, but stand up very well also.

The Line X will fade over a few years and the powder coating will take allot longer then a few years to fade.

Money is not necessary the issue, it is the product on the filtration unit and the appearance / durability in regards to longevity that I am asking about in a Parking Garage Cleaning setting.

www.GarageCleaning.Net

Crystal Cleaning Company LLC

510-612-0437

39 answers to this question

Jim the one thing I can say is that you are true to yourself, you never change. I dont think you will get any answer at all in my oponion. Without coming accross the wrong way I will just say I honestly believe that no one cares one way or the other what you do. You are again setting your self up for another bashing.

If I were you and I certainly am not, I would go and do whatever made me happy because you will never find it here, no one is going to stroke your LARGE ego the way you would like. Sorry but that is just the way I see it partner.

Now for a straight answer...

Powder coating is lighter. Lines should last longer. Once it linexed, though you will never be able to go back to powder coat. If you want to maintain your bright,cheery color, you can always armor all it. It will let it stay clean longer, too.

Powder coating is lighter. Lines should last longer. Once it linexed, though you will never be able to go back to powder coat. If you want to maintain your bright,cheery color, you can always armor all it. It will let it stay clean longer, too.

I use Diesel Fuel to shine it. eviromentally unsafe!!!!

such a nice response:lgtear:

I use Diesel Fuel to shine it. eviromentally unsafe!!!!

yeah I am with you we just got thru changing theoil in 5 diesels and all of the machines, thank God for the storm drain by the house so we dont have to haul everything down to the creek anymore. Works well for old unused chemicals too just pour and they are gone forever!

Jim, if price is no concern why didn't you just make it in stainless to begin with?

I built my new rig this weekend with solid 10k gold, it was more durable than the 14k we used as a base material last time. I think the platinum risers on the goose neck we definatly a nice add it did put us a tad over the budget though.

yeah I am with you we just got thru changing theoil in 5 diesels and all of the machines, thank God for the storm drain by the house so we dont have to haul everything down to the creek anymore. Works well for old unused chemicals too just pour and they are gone forever!

That explains why there are 3 eyed fish in the gulf. Goooooood eatn'

Question, Should we pay Double the price for powder coating on the filtration unit trailer OR should we use Line X in a yellow color?

... I heard Lowes are doing a special on rust-oleum?? No need to pay double.

The things I say may hurt, but the things I say are true.

Give Rog a kiss for me, no tongue though. His dip gets in my teeth:)

ugh William, I just threw up a little.

Thanks for all of your replies.

I had a Water Blaster with Vacuum rig who competed against me in the Bay Area. He was stealing all of my customers to where we was doing to 80k a year in sales. I almost called it quits when a national company offered me a job with a very good salary, complete with a Secretary and an Assistant. However, I turned it down.

So I focused on my business. I researched this rig. I found out how much is the lease options and the costs involved. I learned everything about this rig.

I then took the research and built our rigs with that knowlege and all of those " Bragging" costs and maintence sheets. Only then was I able to overcome this threat. After 5 years, he left the area and moved south to LA. My business shot through the roof the next year and continues to grow. This was a multi million dollar company who clearly had more revenue than I with a fleet of washers and blasters.

So now, when I talk to some in the Water Blasting fields, they explain how they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on just 1 rig. Do I think they are bragging, on the contrary, I am VERY happy that they tell me. I then asked them everything good and bad about their equipment. I want to know why they made the decision to pay 3 to 500,000 dollars on one rig. That way I can open my mind, understand their limitations and their costs of doing business. Hopefully I can design, on a lower scale, a better rig based on their costs and durability of these monster pressure washer's

I was very serious about which way to go and thought I should ask all of you who might know yourselves or someone who would know the draw backs for each procedure. But I guess I was asking to much or many just did not know the answer, but answered anyway.

As far as the costs, I always want to know what something costs. It is not bragging, but a reality. I have a few calls per month from individuals asking about our rigs and the costs. I freely tell them so that if and when they build a rig, they can make some intelligent choices.

One more thing,

Thank You Scott Stone for your answer. That is what I was looking for. I did not expect that from you, it was a very nice and honest comment.

Again,

Thank you Scott.

Jim

Edited by Jim Gamble

The new car smell is gone from my Mecedes, should I have it towed back to the dealer or should I just call the insurance company to see if they will total it out?

Line_X.. cheaper and national no hassle we will fix it warranty

Edited by Alexy