Sign in to follow this  
the repairman

Duroid Shingles with moss

Hello everyone,

I have noticed over the last year or so my roof which is approx 12 years old really starting to look its age. In that alot of moss is starting to live on it. Is it ok to pressure wash it or would it be better to spray with some sort of de mosser? Not looking for another project but I don't like the looks of how this is looking these days....

thank-you,

dale

Absolutely no pressure should be used. Moss is very slick on a roof. Florin knows what he is talking about as he lives just south of you in Seattle. The best way for your shingle is to use a solution that will kill the moss and then let the elements remove the dead material. The moss has been there for a while what's a little longer. This does need to be taken care of as moss can do the most damage to a roof than anything else that grows on them. You can also hire the cleaning done and you will be surprised on how little it actually costs if you get the right contractor. No pressure and/or non pressure are the key words you want to look for.

Thanks guys, I was at Home Depot the other day looking for some sort of product and of course they didn't have anything so my original thought was to find a product and just apply with a hand spray or hose end sprayer and let our west coast weather remove for me. Not 100% lazy just thought no need to use alot of effort to remove as nature these days is supplying all the H2O we can possibly want! lol

dale

I would love to hire this job out as I have 4 roofs to do on our property, It seems we lack this sort of service in our area. I have been doing a lot of reading on here over the past few days and must say Thank- you to all for sharing your thoughts on all our homeowner type questions. Alot of really nice people here on this forum most generous with your knowledge...Now to talk one of you into a holiday to my area.......lol

wish me luck, been reading on here for a week and I am going to try a test run on my wood shed which has no plants to kill around it and will be practice before i venture to the house.....

again thank- you all for your posts all over this site, you are most generous with your technique, chemical amounts and tips....

dale