Sign in to follow this  
map_911

Allison Super Skids

I'm thinking on purchasing an Allison hot/cold skid and was wondering how the performance and reliability of the vertical burner with the 18 HP Vanguard and GP TS2021. If anyone has this skid can you tell me some info on this please.

Thanks.

I had the similar combo in a couple of TUFF units, I love the Briggs engines, we have had very little trouble with them and they are easy to find people to do warranty and non warranty work on in any area. The general makes a good decent pump that is very easy to rebuild in less than 15 minuites, in my oponion just the two componants alone are a good reason to buy. Does the one you are looking at have a horizontal or vertical burner?

John has taken a lot of time to come up with some innovative changes on this equipment to really make it durable an reliable as well as easier for the contractor to service them. Things like burner relays, oversize charging systems, and various component placement are key features in our design. One of the latest things we are most proud of is the integration of the burner diagnostic center with LED lights. Now if you can tell if a light is on or off you can fix your units (similar to the attached picture).

The vertical units are a little more efficient and the horizontals are shorter in overall height. Both use the same components, really what it comes down to more than anything is personal preference on design.

post-1827-13777230283_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input, I've been loooking at the setups of several manufactures to come up with a good piece of equipment at the lowest price and the best quality and this unit has both. Originally I wanted a 20+ HP Honda and seen that most of the Grime scene community had Vanguard/B & S, Kohler for the horsepower. Russ this has the vertical burner and I've heard a couple of things about them like leaking fuel into the bottom and forming a puddle if your tips have buildup but Paul says it's just personal preference. I do like the diagnostic center, it could point you to the problem very easliy.

If you load up the unit with fuel you will be pulling the coil either way to replace the insulation.

I have run both types for over 18 years and they both provide what they should...hot water. There are a few minor differences and benefits of each, but like I said it is a personal preference thing more than anything else IMO.