Sign in to follow this  
Emminz

Window cleaning - best way?

Question

We've been offing house washing as part of line of home maintenace services for about 4 years now. We're finding that many of our customers get the houses washed every 2-3 years, depending on thier environment, but want their windows washed every year. my question is, what is the most economical way to offer just window cleaning? In most cases, especially 2 story houses, we just "house wash" the windows. I'm looking for some way that would yeild a better result and may be easier to do. We squeege ranch houses. I don't do that on 2nd floor windows. I just haven't found the right way to use a squeege on a pole. (I know, pratice...) The water fed pole with pure water looks good, but there's more $$$$ for purifying equipment. I have seen some window cleaners running around with small power washers and hose reels on their trucks. What is thier method and cleaner? I thought about scrubbing with window cleaner and rinsing. Is it that simple? I haven't tried that yet for some reason.

Thanks

Scott

12 answers to this question

Ditto what Carolina Clean said.

I've been washing windows for over 20 years - no better way than squeggee and strip washer.

We do use pure water and pole, but only for maintenance (cleaning on a frequant basis -less than a year, usually quarterly).

I would stronly recomend doing it right or sub it out to a window cleaner. IMO, your customers that really like your PWing will not be happy with an inferior, spoty window cleaning you would get with just rinsing the glass. Even if you get all the dirt off the window you have the total desolved solids (TDS) in the water.

If you want help with learning how to clean glass you are welcome to come down to the beach and clean windows for a day - You are not that far from me.

\\

Thanks for the invite Tim. I may take you up on that.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to add this service. The ladder is the best. We do a lot of other maintenace on homes and many times we just can get a ladder to where we need it due to the landscaping. Overgrown bushes mostly. I was just trying to find another way.

would you mind elaborating on the ammonia and dawn cleaning mix you use. Water as well in there im sure, what would be a good mix ratio to mix up lets say a gallon of glass cleaning solution ready to use. Thanks. Spotty windows are starting to annoy me LOL.

We do a lot of residential cleaning but when we do clean siding we sell more jobs because we use soft water. When we rinse off the widows after applying soap to the house the results are really great and the windows end up being really clean. Perhaps not exactly like a hand cleaning but all of our home owners like the fact that they don’t have to layout extra cash for the windows. Offering this technique gives us the definite edge when selling the house siding cleaning as well as aiding in cleaning the house better and with less chems as the soft water makes the product work much better. The added cost of using a resin bed to run water through to fill our supply tank is very minimal and again does tons in getting work that may have gone to a competitor while still charging overall a little more for the complete job. Plus there is no ladder work, which keeps our insurance costs down. Feel free to eamil me with any questions directly if you would like. mark@cleanmidwest.com

That much Dawn seems to make the cleaning water super sudsy, I only do a couple of squirts.

We hand wash 'em w/ a brush and squeegee, detailing the glass from any over spray using acetone or denatured alcohol.

We then clean the framing, tracks, sills and screens.

Very through process, which many customers appreciate.

Edited by mrwindow

Thanks for the info--greatly appreciated. I Will try it out on the next couple houses.:D

I am editing this to ask an afterthought type question...If this was mixed in a pump up spray container, sprayed on the windows, scrubbed and squeegeed...would a followup rins be needed?? or is the squeegee and rag the final step? I know this sounds so elementary too some, but I'd rather ask for new techniques rather than alot of trial and error. THANKS AGAIN!

Edited by Oxfordlawn

Water as well in there im sure, what would be a good mix ratio to mix up lets say a gallon of glass cleaning solution ready to use. Perhaps not exactly like a hand cleaning but all of our home owners like the fact that they don’t have to layout extra cash for the windows. I've been trying to figure out the best way to add this service. The ladder is the best. We do a lot of other maintenace on homes.

This season I have added Wondow cleaning as a service. I started out by using a squeege & ladder for 2nd flr windows, then moved on to an extension pole and recently have purchased a W.F.P. set up. Man what a great investment the W.F.P. was. It has cut my window cleaning time down to half of what it was. It does not compare to lugging a ladder around the house. One thing I also realized is that it has it's place & not good for all window job's (very dirty window ). If you are thinking about getting one I can tell you that you won't regret it. Yes they cost alot but IMO a great investment.