Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Bergman PC

PLEASE HELP! I need a professional looking contract template, that I can print up

Question

Ideas on how to clean roofs in SW Florida, with consideration for others viewpoints. Pressure Cleaning too!

Printer Friendly

I am Chuck Bergman.

I have been in the Pressure Cleaning / Roof Cleaning business since 1978.

I am opening up this forum to allow other professionals, in this line of work, to post their experience and ideas on how best to clean all the different types of roofs we have here in Florida.

Nothing will be deleted, except personal arguments, curse words or slander.

I will be available for whatever advice I can offer, from my experience and knowledge base.

My work email is Pressure_Clean@Comcast.Net

This is my info site- INFO PAGE FOR CHUCK BERGMAN

Here's my methods-

We specialize in the cleaning of roofs and offer the newest and only "approved" [ by the roofing association ] " NO PRESSURE " roof cleaning system.

For asphalt shingle roofs, this system is a must and can add years to your expensive roof's life!

Pressure cleaning a shingled roof removes a large percentage of the granules, that make up the surface and color of your roof.

Even tile roofs benefit from our "NO PRESSURE" system, in that high pressure will send small pieces of tile and especially the cement holding your ridges in place, off into space!

Also, if you have a finish on your roof, such as a solid paint coat or a glazing, high pressure can peel the paint or dull the glazing.

Many Pressure Washers advertise "NO PRESSURE" but don't actually own the equipment. They simply use their pressure washing machine's chemical injector and end up using "SOME" pressure anyway and explaining [ if you see them do it ] that they turned the pressure way down. "SURE THEY DID!"

ANY pressure will remove much of your asphalt shingle granules!

Click below to go to the roofing manufacturers association and read for yourself it's simple clear statement about pressure-

"HIGH PRESSURE WASHING SYSTEMS FOR ALGAE REMOVAL SHOULD NOT BE USED" http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Of course, we do have state of the art pressure washing equipment as well for houses, pool enclosures, decks, driveways etc.

In fact, with our many years of experience, we have found that a pressure washer that puts out a larger flow of water [5.6 GPM] and less actual pressure 2000 - 2500 psi, gets the job done better than a higher blasting pressure [3000 to 4000 lbs is common] and lower water flow [4 GPM] or less.

On occasion, high pressure is needed, such as on some concrete and steel surfaces, so we also have a 3500 psi machine with us at all times to use as needed.

Another reason to hire us to clean your roof is-

You may see competitors who say they are "Plant Friendly" or "Water plants well"

WE COVER ALL OF YOUR PLANTS WITH TARPS, PERIOD!!

That's as "PLANT FRIENDLY" as it gets in this business!

Because this offers the maximum protection!

We will also, without charge, on most roofs, repair and realign cracked and slipped out tiles. { There is a reasonable limit to how many we will do for free.}

Many of my competitors just rinse plants off as they go or when they finish. Often, this results in dead leaves a few days later, or dead plants.

We are also licensed and insured as painters and have a handyman license and insurance. If you have minor repairs or any paint job to be done, we have the experience needed!

My son has worked continuously with me since 1994 and is a licensed professional along with myself. He also holds a license for handyman work in Sarasota County.

So, if you have a Black Algae on your Roof that needs removing, whether for:

#1. Health reasons [Those who suffer respiratory ailments are adversely affected by the airborne mold spores]

#2. To stop the deterioration of the roof [ algae eats constantly]

#3. Astetics [ many beautiful homes have their appearance spoiled by black, discolored roofs]

#4. Because your homeowners association requires it.

Give us a call!

You will be glad you did and your neighbors may thank you!

SEE SOME OF OUR RECENT JOBS below-

WORK pictures by Chuck_Bergman - Photobucket

Englewood 941-474-8883

Cape Haze, Placida, Rotonda, Grove City

941-698-1959

Venice, Nokomis, Osprey, S. Sarasota 941-483-3673

Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, PGI, Burnt Store

941-255-8600

Or, just email me! PRESSURE_CLEAN@COMCAST.NET

Edited by Chuck Bergman PC
Idea change

12 answers to this question

My signature is there! It's

Chuck Bergman Painting & Pressure Cleaning

941-698-1959

Here is my info=

Basic Information

About Chuck Bergman PC

Company Nameuserfield_edit.gifChuck Bergman Roof Cleaning First & Last Nameuserfield_edit.gifChuck Bergman City & Stateuserfield_edit.gifPort Charlotte, Fl Occupationuserfield_edit.gifPressure Washing and non pressure roof cleaning Biographyuserfield_edit.gifI have been in this business since 1978 and no pressure roof cleaning since the mid 1990's We are a father and son business, only. Interestsuserfield_edit.gifFishing

Signature

Chuck Bergman Painting & Pressure Cleaning

941-698-1959

Florida Roof Cleaning by The Roofing Manufacturers Method

From GAF Roofing Manufacturers about black algae removal:

http://www.gaf.com/Documents/Algae_Staining_on_Shingled_Roof_Surfaces_-_Steep_Slope_Techn-43-808-v3.pdf

Below is a partial "cut and paste" excerpt from GAF on how to clean a roof:

"If a new roof is not an option, GAF recommends cleaning the roof with a special mixture. That mixture is:

4 gallons of water, 1 gallon of bleach and 1 cup of TSP"

"What NOT To Do! Do not power wash the shingles to clean the shingles. Some roof cleaning companies offer this service.

However, it is not recommended."

From ARMA roofing manufacturers Association-how to clean roofing.

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Below is a partial excerpt cut and pasted below from ARMA:

Algae discolorations to remove from roofing surfaces, applying a solution of

chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water.

First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules.

Caution!

High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing manufacturers says the same thing:

"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Corning info in link below.

Owens Corning - Owens Corningâ„¢ Roofing Products Product Demo

So, those who manufacture your roofing and warranty your roofing are the folks to listen to!

Not those who pressure wash roofs, or try to sell you a so called "Green" Eco-Friendly" chemical.

We clean roofs ONLY by the roofing manufacturers methods, so your warranty will not be voided!

WE ARE RCIA CERTIFIED ROOF CLEANERS: ROOF CLEANING INSTITUTE OF AMERICA. LINK BELOW:

http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=123190&p=3&topicID=41055740&page=1

Charlotte & Sarasota County Florida Roof Cleaning by Chuck Bergman Since 1991

941-698-1959

941-474-8883

941-483-3673

941-255-8600

Chuck Bergman Soft Wash Roof Cleaning has been serving Charlotte and Sarasota Counties in Florida since 1991 { Prior to that as Chuck Bergman Pressure Cleaning since 1989 }

With years of experience , it became clear to me that while pressure washing roofs made them look clean, damage was occurring on the roofs. Pressure cleaning machines can only be turned down so far and still accomplish roof cleaning and any amount of pressure, even as low a setting as 300 psi { 3000 to 4000 psi is what most pressure cleaning contractors use } will still remove around 15-20% of the granules that make up the color and protection of your shingle roof per cleaning.

Ugly black algae, left in place on the roof, eats around those granules and the rain removes them. Still eventually destroying the roof and spoiling it's appearance and resale value. With tile roofs, pressure removes the glazing many tile roofs come with. Pressure also blows pieces of cement that hold the ridge-caps in place off into space! If your tile roof is painted, pressure will blow portions of paint off all over the roof, leaving it in need of an expensive paint job!

I started out strictly as a Pressure washing Company! So, what to do?

In 1991 I started developing a system to clean roofs without using pressure.

Now these roof cleaning systems are available for purchase commercially. Even some of these "Non Pressure" systems are what I consider overkill, so I have tried them all and settled on what I consider the best for my customers. Some are designed to do a roof very quickly, using 7 gallon per minute pumps on up! Others [because they are inexpensive] very slowly- 1 gpm pumps. I am in the middle and pleased with my results with a system of 3 gpm output. I want the cleaning solution to remain on the roof, not to run off the roof or into the gutters.

If you would like your roof restored [most of the time to 90% like new!] using only the methods suggested by your roofing manufacturer, call us for a free estimate! We have been a father and son ONLY business since 1994-so you will always get a professional and never get a crew or a new guy in training on your property!

I wonder how Many home owners do it themselves?

Most will use pressure washers because home depot reccommends they use them.

Florida Roof Cleaning by The Roofing Manufacturers Method

From GAF Roofing Manufacturers about black algae removal:

http://www.gaf.com/Documents/Algae_Staining_on_Shingled_Roof_Surfaces_-_Steep_Slope_Techn-43-808-v3.pdf

Below is a partial "cut and paste" excerpt from GAF on how to clean a roof:

"If a new roof is not an option, GAF recommends cleaning the roof with a special mixture. That mixture is:

4 gallons of water, 1 gallon of bleach and 1 cup of TSP"

"What NOT To Do! Do not power wash the shingles to clean the shingles. Some roof cleaning companies offer this service.

However, it is not recommended."

From ARMA roofing manufacturers Association-how to clean roofing.

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf

Below is a partial excerpt cut and pasted below from ARMA:

Algae discolorations to remove from roofing surfaces, applying a solution of

chlorine bleach, trisodium phosphate, and water. Solutions for these ingredients depend on the amount of discoloration. Solutions range to one cup TSP and 2.5 gallons each of bleach and water.

First, gently disperse this solution on the roofing surface. Avoid scrubbing the surface, as this friction may loosen and remove granules.

Caution!

High pressure washing systems for algae removal should not be used.

Owens Corning Roofing manufacturers says the same thing:

"USE CHLORINE and TSP" "DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER"

Corning info in link below.

Owens Corning - Owens Corningâ„¢ Roofing Products Product Demo

So, those who manufacture your roofing and warranty your roofing are the folks to listen to!

Not those who pressure wash roofs, or try to sell you a so called "Green" Eco-Friendly" chemical.

We clean roofs ONLY by the roofing manufacturers methods, so your warranty will not be voided!

WE ARE RCIA CERTIFIED ROOF CLEANERS: ROOF CLEANING INSTITUTE OF AMERICA. LINK BELOW:

http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=123190&p=3&topicID=41055740&page=1

Charlotte & Sarasota County Florida Roof Cleaning by Chuck Bergman Since 1991

941-698-1959

941-474-8883

941-483-3673

941-255-8600

Chuck Bergman Soft Wash Roof Cleaning has been serving Charlotte and Sarasota Counties in Florida since 1991 { Prior to that as Chuck Bergman Pressure Cleaning since 1989 }

With years of experience , it became clear to me that while pressure washing roofs made them look clean, damage was occurring on the roofs. Pressure cleaning machines can only be turned down so far and still accomplish roof cleaning and any amount of pressure, even as low a setting as 300 psi { 3000 to 4000 psi is what most pressure cleaning contractors use } will still remove around 15-20% of the granules that make up the color and protection of your shingle roof per cleaning.

Ugly black algae, left in place on the roof, eats around those granules and the rain removes them. Still eventually destroying the roof and spoiling it's appearance and resale value. With tile roofs, pressure removes the glazing many tile roofs come with. Pressure also blows pieces of cement that hold the ridge-caps in place off into space! If your tile roof is painted, pressure will blow portions of paint off all over the roof, leaving it in need of an expensive paint job!

I started out strictly as a Pressure washing Company! So, what to do?

In 1991 I started developing a system to clean roofs without using pressure.

Now these roof cleaning systems are available for purchase commercially. Even some of these "Non Pressure" systems are what I consider overkill, so I have tried them all and settled on what I consider the best for my customers. Some are designed to do a roof very quickly, using 7 gallon per minute pumps on up! Others [because they are inexpensive] very slowly- 1 gpm pumps. I am in the middle and pleased with my results with a system of 3 gpm output. I want the cleaning solution to remain on the roof, not to run off the roof or into the gutters.

If you would like your roof restored [most of the time to 90% like new!] using only the methods suggested by your roofing manufacturer, call us for a free estimate! We have been a father and son ONLY business since 1994-so you will always get a professional and never get a crew or a new guy in training on your property!

Not many Ron. Of course, half the folks you talk to at Home Depot, were working at Walmart last month! And may be at McDonalds next month :-)

Of course, the fact that all these manufacturers suggest nothing but Chlorine and TSP is still relevant for those of us who go up on their roofing to clean it.

In fact, I would imagine cleaning a roof with any method other than that suggested by the manufacturer, could not only void their roofing warranty, but could open up the possibility of a homeowner / contractor lawsuit for not cleaning with manufacturer methods? Home Depot too could end up being in court, if a homeowner pressure washes or hires a pressure washer to clean their roof, at Home Depot's recommendation?

I don't know about laws though?

I do know about pressure cleaning roofs though! I did so from 1978 until 1991 when I started Softwashing them with 5-6% chlorine and TSP.

I cleaned many hundreds of roofs with my pressure washing machines and watched the black algae, along with the roofing granules wash away! On tile, it's more a problem of blasting off the glazing on glazed tile, blowing out crown cement pieces, or stripping paint from painted roofs.

None of that happens of course, with soft washing roofs.

forgot spell checking

Not many Ron. Of course, half the folks you talk to at Home Depot, were working at Walmart last month! And may be at McDonalds next month :-)

Of course, the fact that all these manufacturers suggest nothing but Chlorine and TSP is still relevant for those of us who go up on their roofing to clean it.

In fact, I would imagine cleaning a roof with any method other than that suggested by the manufacturer, could not only void their roofing warranty, but could open up the possibility of a homeowner / contractor lawsuit for not cleaning with manufacturer methods? Home Depot too could end up being in court, if a homeowner pressure washes or hires a pressure washer to clean their roof, at Home Depot's recommendation?

I don't know about laws though?

I do know about pressure cleaning roofs though! I did so from 1978 until 1991 when I started Softwashing them with 5-6% chlorine and TSP.

I cleaned many hundreds of roofs with my pressure washing machines and watched the black algae, along with the roofing granules wash away! On tile, it's more a problem of blasting off the glazing on glazed tile, blowing out crown cement pieces, or stripping paint from painted roofs.

None of that happens of course, with soft washing roofs.

You have to remember that a pressure washer can clean at low pressure. I often think we get all wrapped up on this no pressure washer use when in fact it's about the correct combination. Electric injectors in high volume water use with lower pressure from a powerwash unit is ok.

Blasting any surface including concrete you can cause irreversible damage.

Variable pressure wands are available and should always be used.

Ron ********** text me 480-5225227 ???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ron,

I have had a pressure washing business since 1978 and used pressure washers to clean roofs until 1991.

In 1991 I started to chemically clean roofs with 20-25% chlorine and Dawn dish liquid etc on shingles, up to [and never above] 50% chlorine and TSP on tile.

My pump puts out 5 gpm at 60psi. Of course, basically no pressure, not even 60psi hits the roof.

I tried all pressure washer settings imaginable and all pumps, from 4gpm to 8gpm.

To me, after doing so many hundreds of them, you can not reasonably turn down a pressure washer to a setting that will not blow granules-{lots of them on older roofs}- off the roof.

Even if you could set one to 100psi and you were willing to spend a week cleaning a 2000sq ft roof in 1" strips, the 100 lbs of pressure would still remove granules. At 100psi, you would have to hold the pressure washing tip an inch from the roof to accomplish anything.

Look in the gutter of a roof never cleaned by any method and you will see the rain knocked off a pile 1/4" deep. Rain is like no pressure at all, compared to any pressure washer setting.

Of course, we both know, no roof cleaning business is going to put the ridiculously excessive amount of time into cleaning a roof that 100-500psi would take to do.

I see guys pressure washing shingled roofs and tile here in Florida all the time. They are all using well over 2000psi, probably 3000psi.

Lets not fool ourselves. It is a real issue.

ON THE OTHER HAND: What I say in my posts and blogs about these new "Green" "Eco-Friendly" roof cleaning products, I would prefer not to say. These green guys seem to find it necessary to downgrade the use of chlorine and any method other than their own.

That makes them my target. But if they could just stand on their own merit and not knock my way of roof cleaning, I would live and let live.

Until this "Go Green" push started, I only advertised and posted about ME, not about others methods and chemicals.

Same goes for roof-a-side until I saw they found it necessary to put down my cleaning method in their website and blogs, I never said a word about them.

I don't want trouble, but I'm also not good at just taking it either.

punctuation

Hi Ron,

I have had a pressure washing business since 1978 and used pressure washers to clean roofs until 1991.

In 1991 I started to chemically clean roofs with 20-25% chlorine and Dawn dish liquid etc on shingles, up to [and never above] 50% chlorine and TSP on tile.

My pump puts out 5 gpm at 60psi. Of course, basically no pressure, not even 60psi hits the roof.

I tried all pressure washer settings imaginable and all pumps, from 4gpm to 8gpm.

To me, after doing so many hundreds of them, you can not reasonably turn down a pressure washer to a setting that will not blow granules-{lots of them on older roofs}- off the roof.

Even if you could set one to 100psi and you were willing to spend a week cleaning a 2000sq ft roof in 1" strips, the 100 lbs of pressure would still remove granules. At 100psi, you would have to hold the pressure washing tip an inch from the roof to accomplish anything.

Look in the gutter of a roof never cleaned by any method and you will see the rain knocked off a pile 1/4" deep. Rain is like no pressure at all, compared to any pressure washer setting.

Of course, we both know, no roof cleaning business is going to put the ridiculously excessive amount of time into cleaning a roof that 100-500psi would take to do.

I see guys pressure washing shingled roofs and tile here in Florida all the time. They are all using well over 2000psi, probably 3000psi.

Lets not fool ourselves. It is a real issue.

ON THE OTHER HAND: What I say in my posts and blogs about these new "Green" "Eco-Friendly" roof cleaning products, I would prefer not to say. These green guys seem to find it necessary to downgrade the use of chlorine and any method other than their own.

That makes them my target. But if they could just stand on their own merit and not knock my way of roof cleaning, I would live and let live.

Until this "Go Green" push started, I only advertised and posted about ME, not about others methods and chemicals.

Same goes for roof-a-side until I saw they found it necessary to put down my cleaning method in their website and blogs, I never said a word about them.

I don't want trouble, but I'm also not good at just taking it either.

Maybe you missed one, who said I wasn't going to use sh?

Chuck is it possible that maybe some just use the pump on a pressure washer to deliver the chems just like Your electric or air pump?

In Arizona I could argue that your not going to clean any roof with your set up. I'll have two hundred guys testify to that. Your system is worthless here. Won't even wash a building effectively.

There's always the right method for the right situation.

Hi Ron, I don't understand what "maybe you missed one" means? Maybe I'm just a bit dull this morning?

I also don't know anything about Arizona and what it means that my setup won't clean there?

As to cleaning roofs with "the pump on a pressure washer to deliver the chems just like Your electric or air pump? "

My pump delivers the exact % SH that I make up in my tank. 20-25% for shingles $35-50% for tile. A Pressure washing machines pump depends on a downstream chemical injector to supply chems. They only put out 10-15% solutions, wich won't clean a roof without then pressure washing it. You can buy chemical injectors like Envirospec's Super Suds Sucker, that claims 22% if I remember correctly, but I have owned 2 of them and every other injector made [ I have about 20 of them right now! ] and in spite of claims, my extensive testing shows none passing the 15% mark and most that say 25% actually only putting out 10-12%

have a good day Ron!

Chuck

added words

Hi Ron, I don't understand what "maybe you missed one" means? Maybe I'm just a bit dull this morning?

I also don't know anything about Arizona and what it means that my setup won't clean there?

As to cleaning roofs with "the pump on a pressure washer to deliver the chems just like Your electric or air pump? "

My pump delivers the exact % SH that I make up in my tank. 20-25% for shingles $35-50% for tile. A Pressure washing machines pump depends on a downstream chemical injector to supply chems. They only put out 10-15% solutions, wich won't clean a roof without then pressure washing it. You can buy chemical injectors like Envirospec's Super Suds Sucker, that claims 22% if I remember correctly, but I have owned 2 of them and every other injector made [ I have about 20 of them right now! ] and in spite of claims, my extensive testing shows none passing the 15% mark and most that say 25% actually only putting out 10-12%

have a good day Ron!

Chuck

In Arizona your electric pump is worthiness. You sh is also not going to be needed or used.

I guess my point is if you want to clean mold here you will need to make some.

No one here is going to ever need or use a Softwash system. (period)