Sign in to follow this  
eric

black mildew on brick

Question

What is the best way to remove black mildew on brick ? Will my butyl based detergent and liquid pool shock w/ cold water and a good scrub do the job?

thanks

17 answers to this question

Have you tried just using the pressure washer. I have alot of mild and mold on my jobs. I only have a cold water machine, but it comes off with just water and no chemicals. I rarley ever use chemicals except for rust and tanin stains.

If you are only using water, chances are you're not getting all the mold and mildew. You need chlorine/pool shock and enough dwell time to kill it all.

Eric,

Your mix will work on brick without scrubbing. If the mold and mildew is not coming off, increase dwell time or amount of pool shock or both. Just don't let your detergent dry on the surface.

Have you tried just using the pressure washer. I have alot of mild and mold on my jobs. I only have a cold water machine, but it comes off with just water and no chemicals. I rarley ever use chemicals except for rust and tanin stains.

Chad,

Your thinking is the old method of doing things. You really need to get up to speed on whats the better and faster way of doing things if you want to compete in todays market.

Just blasting cold water on something is not really cleaning anything and you risk the chance of damage. Would you clean your body with just cold water? I think not, you would really smell if you did not use some type of soap.

Todays way of doing things is using a good commercial grade soap, chlorine(diluted down to kill mold and algea) and low pressure on the water. If you let the chems do there job, your job will be easier on you and the surface you are cleaning.

If do a search on house washes you will find many ways to make a great one to suit your needs.

I use citracleen, a foamer, rinse aid, wet wax and chlorine in my mix. It works great for my use. Everyone has there special mix that works for them.

Good luck

After I clean a brick/concrete surface, I then rinse to remove the lose mildew/mold, then I spray a mildacide on at the end. Didn't mean for it to sound like all I do us use water and leave. I am always looking at new, faster, safer ways to clean, especially on roofs.

Chad,

A mildacide is fine but thats for prevention not for killing what is allready there. You really should do a search on bleach and see what is some of the better ways of doing things.

Chad,

Your thinking is the old method of doing things. You really need to get up to speed on whats the better and faster way of doing things if you want to compete in todays market.

Just blasting cold water on something is not really cleaning anything and you risk the chance of damage. Would you clean your body with just cold water? I think not, you would really smell if you did not use some type of soap.

Todays way of doing things is using a good commercial grade soap, chlorine(diluted down to kill mold and algea) and low pressure on the water. If you let the chems do there job, your job will be easier on you and the surface you are cleaning.

If do a search on house washes you will find many ways to make a great one to suit your needs.

I use citracleen, a foamer, rinse aid, wet wax and chlorine in my mix. It works great for my use. Everyone has there special mix that works for them.

Good luck

Agreed!

While cleaning with S.H. does appear to be effective, mold & mildew will return quickly to the surface. If you want to "value add" to your clients, by offering something different. Look at using a product which provides a longer lasting result such as Spray Away pH Boosted, it will cost a little bit more than bleach though the cleaner will provide far better, results for the long term and the product will reduce the labor requirements for the job as you can pressure wash in a shorter period of time.

While cleaning with S.H. does appear to be effective, mold & mildew will return quickly to the surface. If you want to "value add" to your clients, by offering something different. Look at using a product which provides a longer lasting result such as Spray Away pH Boosted, it will cost a little bit more than bleach though the cleaner will provide far better, results for the long term and the product will reduce the labor requirements for the job as you can pressure wash in a shorter period of time.

What do u define as long term?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I think they say it will be mold free for 12 months or something in that area, you should check put the website

I get longer than that using my house wash mix of SH and a surfactant. Plus I dont have to pressure wash so I really dont see the value. Have never had mold and mildew return in 2-3 weeks.

Russell,

Go to the vendor area and read the rules.

Beth